COMPLETE: How To Have Bird Neighbors, by S. Louise Patteson -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

hcshea99 wrote: July 10th, 2021, 6:45 am Could I please claim section 2?
Welcome to LibriVox. I hope you find it as enjoyable and rewarding as I have.

Yes you may have section 2. However, before you record it please complete the 1 minute test so that your settings can be checked. Once you get the ok on that, you may record and upload the section.

We urge you to make a "1 Minute Test" for review before you start actively recording. This is NOT an audition, but a way to check to make sure all your technical settings are correct, your volume loud enough, etc. You will find the information for the 1-Minute Test Recording here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. The instructions also tell you how to upload your test and then post in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum so someone can give you feedback on it.

One more thing I will need from you as this will be your first recording is how you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog. You may use your username, real name, nickname or some other name.

Thank you for your interest.

M
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

mleigh wrote: July 8th, 2021, 6:12 pm Yes, certainly. I'll put you down for it. Have fun reading it. I enjoyed reading the first chapter.
Thank you,

M
M,

You noted that you "enjoyed reading the first chapter". Did I miss it somehow in the Forum posts? I would love to PL it.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Kalamareader wrote: July 10th, 2021, 10:41 am
mleigh wrote: July 8th, 2021, 6:12 pm Yes, certainly. I'll put you down for it. Have fun reading it. I enjoyed reading the first chapter.
Thank you,

M
M,

You noted that you "enjoyed reading the first chapter". Did I miss it somehow in the Forum posts? I would love to PL it.

Wayne
No you haven't missed anything. I haven't edited it yet. I hope to get it finished soon.

M
hcshea99

Post by hcshea99 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_forhcshea99.mp3

Oops, sorry about that! Here's the test.

Hcshea99 will be fine as the credit name
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

hcshea99 wrote: July 10th, 2021, 12:53 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_forhcshea99.mp3

I will enter that as your catalog name.

A couple of comments on the test recording. It should be exported as a "constant bit rate" and 128kb. These are both under Format Options when you export to mp3.

The quality of the recording is really good except for the "plosive p's". For future recordings, I would suggest either softening them when you speak them or get a little less directly in front of the microphone for those. It gets better with practice. (my own contributions have certainly changed with experience) :)

Once you fix the output settings you should be good to go.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I am trying to add a new user "Hcshea99" and am getting the message "Forum user email not found". It will not let me add the user. What do I do?

Thanks,

M
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

hcshea99 wrote: July 10th, 2021, 12:53 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_forhcshea99.mp3

Hcshea99,

An additional comment to go along with M's great (and cheap) solutions regarding plosives. First, if you don't know what those are, they are the 'loud' 'popping' sounds that we produce when we say letters like 'p' and 'b'. We don't notice them much at all in 'normal' speech, but mics really pick them up. Another solution is to get a 'pop' filter. Of course I have no idea what your recording set up is, but a pop filter is a screen which is attached in front of your mic. You can do a Google search and see what the look like. Some people have been able to make their own.

Good luck, and I am looking forward to listening to your recordings ( I am the DPL [Dedicated Proof Listener] :D ). I also listened to your 'test' and you have a great recording voice.

Wayne
Wayne
hcshea99

Post by hcshea99 »

Thanks everyone for your help! I have a pop filter coming in the mail soon, so hopefully those plosives will be fixed.

I'm not sure why Hcshea99 isn't popping up... maybe try hcshea99? Perhaps the capital letter is throwing it off.

Let me know if that helps,
Hannah
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

mleigh wrote: July 10th, 2021, 3:37 pm I am trying to add a new user "Hcshea99" and am getting the message "Forum user email not found". It will not let me add the user. What do I do?

Thanks,

M
I've added Hannah as a reader. You should be able to assign her a section now. It was the capital H that was the issue. Forum names are case sensitive. :)
Jo
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: July 11th, 2021, 10:49 am
mleigh wrote: July 10th, 2021, 3:37 pm I am trying to add a new user "Hcshea99" and am getting the message "Forum user email not found". It will not let me add the user. What do I do?

Thanks,

M
I've added Hannah as a reader. You should be able to assign her a section now. It was the capital H that was the issue. Forum names are case sensitive. :)
Thank you,

M
jenno

Post by jenno »

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

jenno wrote: July 11th, 2021, 5:48 pm Here is section 5
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdneighbors_05_patteson_128kb.mp3
duration 10.05

Cheers
Jennifer
Queued for PL.

Wayne
Wayne
hcshea99

Post by hcshea99 »

mleigh

Post by mleigh »

hcshea99 wrote: July 12th, 2021, 12:13 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdneighbors_02_patteson_128kb.mp3

Chapter 2! Duration: 10:38
Could you please re-export the file at 128 kbps and a constant bit rate.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »