COMPLETE: Faraday As A Discoverer by John Tyndall - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Kalamareader wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 6:00 pm
Kalamareader wrote: June 17th, 2021, 8:44 pm
msfry wrote: June 6th, 2021, 7:52 pm

Thank you Wayne.
I enjoyed the touching way you delivered Tyndall's most nostalgic lines.
Bravo :thumbs: !
I noticed a couple of divergences from the test, however:

1:45 heard "immediately forefathers.."
s/b: "immediate forefathers.."

8:02 heard "i.e. of allotropic ozone."
s/b "i.e. of allotropic oxygen."

16:05 heard "and I DEPRECIATED her decision"
S/B "and I DEPRECATED her decision"

17:30 heard "rendered his counsel particularly precious"
s/b "rendered his counsel peculiarly precious"
First, I couldn't figure out how I missed the post about the corrections needed for over two weeks. I just went back through all the posts here and the one by Michele noted above doesn't show up anywhere.

Second, I can't believe I missed all those when I did my own PL. That is why we have PLers.

Third, some of these corrections are better than others, but I think they will all be acceptable.

So, here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_17_tyndall_128kb.mp3

Time 36:52

Thanks,

Wayne

P.S. Michele, thanks for the referral and the kind words. :9:
Wayne, you can't blame Michele for the suggested edits... when I tried to trim out some of the earlier text in this thread, I accidentally left her name at the top of the PL Notes. Furthermore, my PL Notes were made during this weekend, not two weeks ago. Again, this seeming discrepancy is due to my error in snipping out some of the earlier postings.

As of this evening, your file is PL OK !!!
Thank you.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

You also seem to have missed adding [/quote] before you added your own comments. Makes it really hard to follow the conversation... :wink:
Jo
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 8:31 pm You also seem to have missed adding
before you added your own comments. Makes it really hard to follow the conversation... :wink:
[/quote]

You can say THAT again!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
MadSci75

Post by MadSci75 »

As a scientist (and a mad one at that), I feel obligated to contribute. May I claim section 14?

I'm still pretty new to LibriVox, but I promise to give it my best shot. :)
~ Jeremy
Back off man...I'm a scientist.
optimusswine69

Post by optimusswine69 »

Hi can I have section 11?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

MadSci75 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 9:05 pm As a scientist (and a mad one at that), I feel obligated to contribute. May I claim section 14?

I'm still pretty new to LibriVox, but I promise to give it my best shot. :)
Hi, Jeremy!
Come on in... the Librivox water's fine.
Yes you may certainly have section 14.
I look forward hearing it.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Hello

Can I make some supplementary remarks?

section 12
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

optimusswine69 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 11:51 pm Hi can I have section 11?
Hello optimusswine69,
I see that you have not yet done the 1-Minute test which verifies that the parameters of your audio recording software (most often AUDACITY) are properly set up and that the hardware you're using is compliant. Please do that as soon as possible.

I will reserve Section 11 for you for 2 weeks, giving you time to complete the 1-Minute test and get an [OK] on it. When you get that OK let me know and start your recording.

And, Thank you for offering your talents to this project.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

realisticspeakers wrote: June 25th, 2021, 8:03 am Hello

Can I make some supplementary remarks?

section 12
Thank you very much, Realistic!
Section 12 is yours.
I trust you'll bring out the pathos and human tragedy of this text. :)
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
realisticspeakers

williamjones wrote: June 25th, 2021, 8:12 am I trust you'll bring out the pathos and human tragedy of this text. :)
You've given me a wonderful statement for my bio!
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
realisticspeakers

Disclaimer:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Thanks for the promptness, Realist.
Will PL your section 12 tomorrow.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Good afternoon!

I had the privilege of PL'ing Section 8, and enjoyed hearing William's narration of Faraday's early researches.

Only a couple of very minor notes:

at 5:05
He pictured the lines of electric force bending…

I hear “electrical”

at 8:21
the force of induction is propagated from particle to particle…

I hear
from "one" particle to particle

at 10:42
rather let those who ponder

I hear
rather "than" let those …

More Faraday? or other interesting lectures, soon?

best,
Owlivia/Deborah
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: June 26th, 2021, 5:51 pm Good afternoon!

I had the privilege of PL'ing Section 8, and enjoyed hearing William's narration of Faraday's early researches.

Only a couple of very minor notes:
<snip>

More Faraday? or other interesting lectures, soon?

best,
Owlivia/Deborah
I thank you very much, OwlEborah!
Good job!

After these two Faraday projects (one ABOUT him, and another BY him) on my drawing boards are a similar pairing of projects about/by Helmholtz; and later a similar pair about H. A. Lorentz.
I was a mathematics prodigy and happened to fasten on Einstein's Theory of Relativity. A couple of years ago I noticed one of the Librivox MCs (read: Big Wigs), Availle, has recorded "The Einstein Theory of Relativity - Hendrik A. Lorentz" and did it very well so I put out of my mind reading another such book. But, a few weeks ago, I realized that the giants upon whose shoulders Einstein stood were very interesting in themselves. Thus, I've decided to "work on the foundations" of Al's theory: Faraday, Lorentz, Maxwell, Michelson and Morley, Eddington, etc.

So, yes, there will be more projects from me related to the foundations of Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity. The problem will be finding sources relatively ( :D ) free of mathematics.

Thank you again for Proofing my little section 08.
Last edited by williamjones on June 29th, 2021, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
realisticspeakers

williamjones wrote: June 27th, 2021, 7:57 am I realized that the giants upon whose shoulders Einstein stood were very interesting in themselves. Thus, I've decided to "work on the foundations" of Al's theory: Faraday, Lorentz, Maxwell, Michelson and Morley, Eddington, etc.
you. I like you.
Disclaimer: