COMPLETE: Faraday As A Discoverer by John Tyndall - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

williamjones wrote: July 16th, 2021, 6:52 pm
MolehillMtn wrote: July 16th, 2021, 4:36 pm Hi folks,

Sorry for the hold up on getting this completed!
Section 13 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_13_tyndall_128kb.mp3
16:09

(In my last semester of college, I was writing a lab report on para/diamagnetism when the pandemic began. It ended up being the last paper I finished on campus with all of my friends, so this recording drummed up some nostalgia...)
Librivox moves in strange ways!!
Thank you MolehillMtn. I'll start PLing this right now.
PL Notes to Section 13
MolehillMtn, What a very nice, brisk recitation! I am astounded at the quality of the readers coming to this Faraday project. Great jobs, y'all :clap: :clap:

I found a couple of anomalies in this otherwise sterling narration: one mysterious, and one just a slip of the tongue. Here they are:
1:159.5 Heard "Condition of Mame and Gases,"
s/b "Condition of Flame and Gases,'"
When I, myself, selected the text and copied it to the clipboard and then pasted it into these PL Notes I, too, got "Mame" rather than the correct "Flame". A mystery. In any case, "Flame" is clearly seen in the original with the human eye, so it must be used.

10:31 heard "rarification"
s/b "rarefaction" However, both words have nearly identical definitions, so there is no need to "Fix" this.

So, MolehillMtn, please correct the Mame/Flame item, re-upload it and we're done! I thank you very much for attending to this promptly.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
MolehillMtn

Post by MolehillMtn »

Sure thing and thanks!
Here's the un-maimed, un-"mame"ed version: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_13_tyndall_128kb.mp3
(Looks like it's the same duration as my first try but contains one letter more, so it's been un-rarefied as well...?)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

MolehillMtn wrote: July 17th, 2021, 7:33 pm Sure thing and thanks!
Here's the un-maimed, un-"mame"ed version: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_13_tyndall_128kb.mp3
(Looks like it's the same duration as my first try but contains one letter more, so it's been un-rarefied as well...?)
Excellent! Good job, MolehillMtn!

Section 13 is now PL OK!! :thumbs: and :clap:

Now there's only one section that is not yet completed. When that one is done, this project will be Cataloged and released to the world.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

In case the Faraday as A Discoverer remaining section (11, Discovery of Diamagnetism - magne-crystallic action) goes free, I'd be delighted to record it.
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: August 15th, 2021, 7:41 pm In case the Faraday as A Discoverer remaining section (11, Discovery of Diamagnetism - magne-crystallic action) goes free, I'd be delighted to record it.
You'll be the first one I'll call.
Thanks.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Owlivia just beat me on Section 11, you can put me in line in case something doesn't work out with her. :D

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Kalamareader wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:49 pm Owlivia just beat me on Section 11, you can put me in line in case something doesn't work out with her. :D

Thanks,

Wayne
Absolutely! And, thanks Wayne. I'll also keep you in mind for the forthcoming Helmholtz and Lorentz projects.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Kalamareader wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:49 pm Owlivia just beat me on Section 11, you can put me in line in case something doesn't work out with her. :D

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne, I promise not to be greedy with future projects. I've just developed a schoolgirl crush on Faraday.
:oops: :lol:
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Whoa!! Hold your horses, Owlivia! Until next Wednesday, the 25th, that section is still assigned to that other guy who has not responded in any way to my PMs and in-forum messages. I predict, if the past is prologue to the future, that he will not reply in any way and your earlier requests for that section will merit its being assigned to you.

So, let's do this: you've uploaded your section 11. IF he uploads another version of it, it will overwrite yours. On the 25th, I'll PL the most recent version, and do whatever else needs to be done. If yours is the most recent one, then I'll update the Magic Window with your info and all will be well.

Thank you, and stay tuned.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

williamjones wrote: August 20th, 2021, 7:34 pm
Whoa!! Hold your horses, Owlivia! Until next Wednesday, the 25th, that section is still assigned to that other guy who has not responded in any way to my PMs and in-forum messages. I predict, if the past is prologue to the future, that he will not reply in any way and your earlier requests for that section will merit its being assigned to you.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Slinks away with tailfeathers between her legs....
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: August 20th, 2021, 7:43 pm
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Slinks away with tailfeathers between her legs....
Dear Slinky,
Tut, tut the only problem I see is that the work you put in on recording and PLing that file might go to waste. No harm, no foul.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

williamjones wrote: August 20th, 2021, 7:51 pm No harm, no foul.
That is sooooo bad (good) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

No, not really. Please consider the other person's perfectly reasonable reaction - if I were that potential reader looking at the latest posts here, my reaction might justifiably be why should I bother. Someone else has already recorded my section.

There is a standard 2 month period for submitting recordings. Yes, it's frustrating as a BC to have to wait for a final recording, and it would be great if all readers kept in touch one way or the other, but that's not always the case.

Happy to discuss this further with any of you by PM.
Jo
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: August 20th, 2021, 7:43 pm
Thanks again, Oh Owlie One.
You're assigned to section 11 in the Magic Window now.
Seeing as how it's only 17 minutes long, I'll PL your file right now and report the results by the top of the hour.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison