COMPLETE: Faraday As A Discoverer by John Tyndall - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MadSci75

Post by MadSci75 »

Here is section 14:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_14_tyndall_128kb.mp3

This is only my 2nd submission to LibriVox, so any feedback (technical or otherwise) is appreciated!
~ Jeremy
Back off man...I'm a scientist.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

MadSci75 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 12:28 pm Here is section 14:

This is only my 2nd submission to LibriVox, so any feedback (technical or otherwise) is appreciated!
Great voice quality, Mad Man!
Just a note before I get into the PLing (Proof Listening): Thank you for posting the link to your file, but you need to add the time duration of the file, too. Thus:
19:58

I've done it myself this time, so no worries.
When I've finished PLing the file, I'll post back here my PL Notes about any slip-ups I find; then you fix them and re-upload the file and post a message here making known that fact and what the new file duration is and then I'll check the changes and report back whether they've been done. We repeat the last couple of steps until you hear from me "PL OK" after which you hire someone to pat you on the back for a job well done.

I have a feeling that PL OK is what I'm going to write for this first iteration. Just a hunch.

Keep your eyes open on that right-most column in the MW (Magic Window).

Thank you for your contribution. Just so you know, for some reason Faraday has attracted a bevy of excellent, excellent narrators. You're in good company.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

MadSci75 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 12:28 pm Here is section 14:

An admirable job, Mad Man! :clap:
There is, however one possible minor slip:
at 8:25.5
Heard: "vibrations of light and radiant <...> consist in..."
s/b: "vibrations of light and radiant HEAT consist in..."
I think the missing word "heat" is there but so very quiet that it is not easily heard.

Which brings up this point: The volume of your file, as reported by the CHECKER.EXE file is only 86.5, which just barely above the 86.0 threshold, thus it is passable. The general aim for Librivox file is 89.0. There are several places where your voice tapers off and become very soft. The PL Note at 8:25.5 above is a prime example.

Which brings up this point: There are two free programs which can be used as a finishing touch to your files:
CHECKER and MP3GAIN. CHECKER checks (duh) for several possible errors in the mp3 files dragged into its action window. Volume is just one of the many thing it looks at. Many people running CHECKER on one of their files and noticing that the volume is very low, will re-load the file into Audacity and jack-up the volume there, and save the file again.

I dare say that many Librivoxers don't know about the other program, MP3GAIN. This program, like CHECKER is run outside of Audacity (or any other audio editor) and checks for volume then it will adjust the volume to match a default value you've previously set. I've set my own default value to 90.0.

Which brings up still another point, which I mention only because you're so new to Librivox. If the project's DPL (Designated Proof Listener) makes note of an error and you think the "error" is specious or spurious, you, the narrator can override the PL Note and let your audio stand as is. Thus, my note about the disappearing "heat" at 8:25 could be ignored. In fact, if you raise the file's volume to, say, 90.0 (my strong personal suggestion), that word may reappear and that PL Note will become bogus.

This is an amazingly strong first (or second) effort. Thank you!
I will be starting a couple of other "early modern scientists" projects on Helmholtz and Lorentz. Keep your eyes open for them, please.

My PL Notes are not usually this long, but I am offering these comments in the hope that they will be helpful to a "new guy".

OK, finally, please make the volume and/or "help" changes and upload your edited file again, and post as a reply to this message what you've decided to do. I'll PL the file again and, if all is well, return a "PL OK".
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

MadSci75,

I would just like to add my endorsement to Williams suggestion about MP3Gain. I use it all the time and really works for me. http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Kalamareader wrote: June 28th, 2021, 4:50 pm MadSci75,

I would just like to add my endorsement to Williams suggestion about MP3Gain. I use it all the time and really works for me. http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

Wayne
Thanks, Wayne... for both your endorsement and for the helpful link.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
MadSci75

Post by MadSci75 »

Thank you William for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback, and thank you Wayne for the link to MP3Gain. This is exactly the kind of help I wanted to improve the quality of my recordings.

I knew about Checker - I saw that the volume was in the required range, but should have known it would sound better if it were a bit louder. I ran the file through MP3Gain to boost the volume. After listening to the recording again, I tend to taper off when I'm running out of breath. Too many long sentences! :lol: But now that I see that, I can work on correcting it.

I also went into Audacity and amplified just the word "heat" at 8:25.5, just to make it more clear. I think it sounds ok now, but please let me know if it still needs work.

Here is the link to the new version: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_14_tyndall_128kb.mp3

And thanks again for helping out a LibriVox "new guy". :)
~ Jeremy
Back off man...I'm a scientist.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

williamjones wrote: June 28th, 2021, 7:16 am
I dare say that many Librivoxers don't know about the other program, MP3GAIN. This program, like CHECKER is run outside of Audacity (or any other audio editor) and checks for volume then it will adjust the volume to match a default value you've previously set. I've set my own default value to 90.0.
I think you might be surprised. mp3gain has been used to check/adjust volume of final files before cataloging almost from the beginning. We still use it for this purpose to normalize volume on all files in a project to as close to a target volume of 89 db as possible without clipping. I don't recall if this is the default, but it's important to check the option Don't clip when doing Track Gain.
Jo
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 28th, 2021, 6:37 pm

I think you might be surprised. mp3gain has been used to check/adjust volume of final files before cataloging almost from the beginning. We still use it for this purpose to normalize volume on all files in a project to as close to a target volume of 89 db as possible without clipping. I don't recall if this is the default, but it's important to check the option Don't clip when doing Track Gain.
A year or so ago I checked into the Librivox code in Github and lo, and behold, there were references to MP3Gain there, too!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

MadSci75 wrote: June 28th, 2021, 5:29 pm Thank you William for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback, and thank you Wayne for the link to MP3Gain. This is exactly the kind of help I wanted to improve the quality of my recordings.

Here is the link to the new version: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_14_tyndall_128kb.mp3

And thanks again for helping out a LibriVox "new guy". :)
Perfect edit! Great job!
Section 14 is now PL OK!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Section 09 is PL OK!

Thank you, Alan, for your delightful recitation of this brief but insightful section. :clap:
I must repeatedly remind myself that the words found in this book are NOT those of Faraday himself, but of John Tyndall, also a physicist, and, as we see in this book, a sensitive prose talent.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Almost Done!

This project is almost ready to be cataloged and released to the world!
Only TWO sections remain to be recorded then all of us who have contributed to the project will be able to receive the admiration and praise of their families, friends... and the world! I'm confident that optimusswine69 and MolehillMtn will be submitting their sections soon.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
MolehillMtn

Post by MolehillMtn »

Hi folks,

Sorry for the hold up on getting this completed!
Section 13 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_13_tyndall_128kb.mp3
16:09

(In my last semester of college, I was writing a lab report on para/diamagnetism when the pandemic began. It ended up being the last paper I finished on campus with all of my friends, so this recording drummed up some nostalgia...)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

MolehillMtn wrote: July 16th, 2021, 4:36 pm Hi folks,

Sorry for the hold up on getting this completed!
Section 13 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_13_tyndall_128kb.mp3
16:09

(In my last semester of college, I was writing a lab report on para/diamagnetism when the pandemic began. It ended up being the last paper I finished on campus with all of my friends, so this recording drummed up some nostalgia...)
Librivox moves in strange ways!!
Thank you MolehillMtn. I'll start PLing this right now.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison