COMPLETE: Faraday As A Discoverer by John Tyndall - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 10th, 2021, 7:18 am PL Notes Section 2

:52 mutual action, you say attraction
3:56 he rallied the young chemist, you say scientist
8:58 the details were so exact, you say extact (with a t)
Thanks, Michele.
I have an important call to make at 11am (30 minutes from now), when that's completed I'll make these small and easy corrections.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Errors fixed and uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_02_tyndall_128kb.mp3 13:32

Managed to make the fixes and upload well before my phone call.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: June 10th, 2021, 7:40 am

Errors fixed and uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_02_tyndall_128kb.mp3 13:32
Same old file, mistakes still there.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 10th, 2021, 7:47 am
williamjones wrote: June 10th, 2021, 7:40 am

Same old file, mistakes still there.

Correct file from the correct Faraday directory up loaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_02_tyndall_128kb.mp3
13:30
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 2 is PL OK. I gotta ask, why would you have two folders for the same project, which is a sure recipe for disaster?
My excuse is One Drive, which trips me up all the time masquarading as my real folder. I must take extra precautions every time I save a file to override my computer's decided preference for OneDrive. There are endless monsters to fight at my house, One Drive being one.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 10th, 2021, 7:50 pm Section 2 is PL OK. I gotta ask, why would you have two folders for the same project, which is a sure recipe for disaster? <snip>
I have one folder, my Master folder, with supporting files and linke, and a folder each for the two Faraday Projects (Developer and Forces) Which contain all the files for those two projects. AND, two folders each of which is a link to the main project page for each of the two projects. I find I have to bring up those main pages fairly often... for example to update the MW and to check for the arrival of new sections.

It's something I'm trying.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Well, I've become a member of the Faraday Fan Club, to be sure.

May I claim
Section 5, Identity of electricities, please?

As far as footnotes, what is your preference: to stay or to go? Seems to be several rather lengthy ones; at quick glance they don't appear hugely relevant to the text. Pls advise. :mrgreen:
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: June 10th, 2021, 7:58 pm
msfry wrote: June 10th, 2021, 7:50 pm Section 2 is PL OK. I gotta ask, why would you have two folders for the same project, which is a sure recipe for disaster? <snip>
I have one folder, my Master folder, with supporting files and linke, and a folder each for the two Faraday Projects (Developer and Forces) Which contain all the files for those two projects. AND, two folders each of which is a link to the main project page for each of the two projects. I find I have to bring up those main pages fairly often... for example to update the MW and to check for the arrival of new sections.

Hope it works for you.

My KISS folder structure looks like this:
Audio (clicking on this folder opens the 2 bold sub-folders list)

Audacity Finished Files (mp3) (Clicking on this folder opens this:)
Project Name
Project Name
Project Name
Miscellaneous Files
COMPLETED PROJECTS

Audacity Raw Files (aup) (Clicking on this folder opens this:)
Project Name
Project Name
Project Name
Miscellaneous Files

Projects I am BC'ing get a Project Name folder in each sub-folder, those I am just reading sections for, go into the Miscellaneous Files folder and can be distinguished by their filenames. I "Favorite" my active projects using the star in the URL bar while I'm on the page, which sits atop my browser window at all times, making my project pages easy to get to.

Once the project is catalogued, I drag the Project Name folder to the COMPLETED PROJECTS folder, and delete the folder containing the raw files. I hang on to these forever, so in case IA ever disappears, we can reconstruct the projects I'm involved with using the mp3's I have saved.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: June 12th, 2021, 10:16 am Well, I've become a member of the Faraday Fan Club, to be sure.

May I claim
Section 5, Identity of electricities, please?

As far as footnotes, what is your preference: to stay or to go? Seems to be several rather lengthy ones; at quick glance they don't appear hugely relevant to the text. Pls advise. :mrgreen:
Thank you very much, Deborah, for taking on another section.
It almost goes without saying that it is yours.

As for footnotes, there are different varieties. Some are just references, like "See Schmidt, Page 135" or "op cit." or "Viz.", etc. These can most often be ignored. But, there are others which are explanatory to the text you're narrating. Often these should be cited between "Footnote".... "End Footnote" declarations to your listening audience.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 12th, 2021, 1:40 pm
williamjones wrote: June 10th, 2021, 7:58 pm

Hope it works for you.

My KISS folder structure looks like this:
Audio (clicking on this folder opens the 2 bold sub-folders list)

Audacity Finished Files (mp3) (Clicking on this folder opens this:)
Project Name
Project Name
Project Name
Miscellaneous Files
COMPLETED PROJECTS

Audacity Raw Files (aup) (Clicking on this folder opens this:)
Project Name
Project Name
Project Name
Miscellaneous Files

Projects I am BC'ing get a Project Name folder in each sub-folder, those I am just reading sections for, go into the Miscellaneous Files folder and can be distinguished by their filenames. I "Favorite" my active projects using the star in the URL bar while I'm on the page, which sits atop my browser window at all times, making my project pages easy to get to.

Once the project is catalogued, I drag the Project Name folder to the COMPLETED PROJECTS folder, and delete the folder containing the raw files. I hang on to these forever, so in case IA ever disappears, we can reconstruct the projects I'm involved with using the mp3's I have saved.
Thanks, Michele.
What you're doing makes a lot of sense. :thumbs:
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Not to drag out this discussion, but if you bookmark your projects on the forum, it is easy to navigate to the threads and also to see when there is a new post from the list of bookmarks.

To bookmark a thread:  Click on the down arrow alongside the little wrench icon which is next to the Post Reply at the top of every thread, and then choose 'bookmark topic.'  

To access your bookmarks, use the down arrow next to your username at the top right in the header under the search box, and click User Control Panel.  On the next screen select manage bookmarks. (Hint: You can bookmark this page of forum bookmarks in your browser for easier access.)

When you no longer need a specific thread bookmark, check the box in the column titled MARK, then scroll to the bottom and click the 'Remove marked bookmarks' button. You can do this for one or multiple threads at once. You can also remove a single thread from your forum bookmarks the same way you set the bookmark above.  In the dropdown next to the wrench icon for a bookmarked topic, select remove from bookmarks.
Jo
msfry

Post by msfry »

I have just bookmarked this project, and will give it a try. Thanks for sharing. This would be a great topic for a zoom session.

"Keeping Track Of Projects and Project Files"
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 12th, 2021, 2:30 pm Not to drag out this discussion, but if you bookmark your projects on the forum, it is easy to navigate to the threads and also to see when there is a new post from the list of bookmarks.

To bookmark a thread:  Click on the down arrow alongside the little wrench icon which is next to the Post Reply at the top of every thread, and then choose 'bookmark topic.'  

To access your bookmarks, use the down arrow next to your username at the top right in the header under the search box, and click User Control Panel.  On the next screen select manage bookmarks. (Hint: You can bookmark this page of forum bookmarks in your browser for easier access.)

When you no longer need a specific thread bookmark, check the box in the column titled MARK, then scroll to the bottom and click the 'Remove marked bookmarks' button. You can do this for one or multiple threads at once. You can also remove a single thread from your forum bookmarks the same way you set the bookmark above.  In the dropdown next to the wrench icon for a bookmarked topic, select remove from bookmarks.
Well, Imagine THAT!
What a lot of good advice!
Thanks, Jo.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

alanmapstone wrote: June 13th, 2021, 2:42 am Section 16 - Summary

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_16_tyndall_128kb.mp3
Thanks Alan. I'll proof it later this morning before the French Open Mens Finals begin.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison