COMPLETE: Faraday As A Discoverer by John Tyndall - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 6th, 2021, 2:35 pm No rush. I notice you indicate 10 minutes for Section 4 in the MW. I'm curious how you arrived at that estimate. Mine came in at 8:48, and now I wonder if I'm reading too fast.
The duration discrepancy might well have been a finger-slip when transfering the duration and word count from the screen on which they were displayed.

Your pace was neither too slow nor too fast, it was firmly in the middle of the Goldilocks range.

Thank you again.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi There,

I was pointed here by Michele, and I would like to claim Section 17.

Thanks Michele,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kalamareader wrote: June 6th, 2021, 7:23 pm Hi There,

Thanks Michele,

Wayne
You are welcome, Wayne, and I feel sure you are going to enjoy this project as much as you did Sir Titus Salt. They will be lucky to have you. :thumbs:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Kalamareader wrote: June 6th, 2021, 7:23 pm Hi There,

Thanks Michele,

Wayne
Wayne... you got it! 17 is yours.
Thank you. (and Michele)
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded sections 01 and 02

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_01_tyndall_128kb.mp3 18:08
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_02_tyndall_128kb.mp3 13:32

I cannot Proof Listen my own files, so I'm asking for one of you other narrators to proof them for me. Any takers?
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 6th, 2021, 2:10 pm Here is Section 4. Faraday seems like a very nice person. I am glad to learn a little more about him.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_04_tyndall_128kb.mp3 8:48
Another remarkable performance! :clap: :clap:
And, it is PL OK. This almost goes without saying. :)
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

williamjones wrote: June 7th, 2021, 7:05 am Uploaded sections 01 and 02

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_01_tyndall_128kb.mp3 18:08
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_02_tyndall_128kb.mp3 13:32

I cannot Proof Listen my own files, so I'm asking for one of you other narrators to proof them for me. Any takers?
I claimed the privilege of PL'ing Section 1; well-read and very interesting (I knew OF Sir Faraday, but not ABOUT him, previous to this).
2 minor issues:
at 14:06 and environs (first full paragraph on page 9)
"he was RE-engaged BY the managers of the Royal Institution"
sentence continuing: "here he made rapid progress in chemistry"
I hear "here he made rapid Trust in [garbled]"

Very minor at 16:38 - last paragraph on page 10
"he married and obtained leave"
I hear: "he married and obtained A leave..."

How fun that Faraday was inspired on his scholarly path by reading the Encyclopedia Britannica! :clap:

regards,
Owlivia / Deborah
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: June 7th, 2021, 7:12 pm
williamjones wrote: June 7th, 2021, 7:05 am Uploaded sections 01 and 02

I claimed the privilege of PL'ing Section 1; well-read and very interesting (I knew OF Sir Faraday, but not ABOUT him, previous to this).
2 minor issues:
at 14:06 and environs (first full paragraph on page 9)
"he was RE-engaged BY the managers of the Royal Institution"
sentence continuing: "here he made rapid progress in chemistry"
I hear "here he made rapid Trust in [garbled]"

Very minor at 16:38 - last paragraph on page 10
"he married and obtained leave"
I hear: "he married and obtained A leave..."

How fun that Faraday was inspired on his scholarly path by reading the Encyclopedia Britannica! :clap:

regards,
Owlivia / Deborah
Thank you very, very much Deborah!
I'll fix those two items this evening as I'm setting up to record my two sections in the "On The Various Forces of Nature" project this evening, too.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded fixed Section 01

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/faraday_01_tyndall_128kb.mp3 18:09

Thanks again, Deborah for the PLing of this file. In the future I hope you'll do more. A note: typically one requests to PL a file, then waits until that request to be acknowledged before putting in the work. That way, we won't have more than one person PLing the same file.

I liked that you mentioned the SOURCE page numbers, but you can save yourself some work by just giving a precise Time:Mark, e.g., 16:04. Are you using Audacity as your audio editor? If so, this is a trivial thing to do, makes it easy.

Again: Thank you loads!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I hope someone out there will volunteer to Proof Listen my Section 02 file. It's easy stuff.
How say you?
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: June 8th, 2021, 4:43 pm I hope someone out there will volunteer to Proof Listen my Section 02 file. It's easy stuff.
How say you?
I'll be happy to PL your Section 2 tomorrow. I'm sure I owe you one, or two. :D
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 8th, 2021, 8:26 pm
williamjones wrote: June 8th, 2021, 4:43 pm I hope someone out there will volunteer to Proof Listen my Section 02 file. It's easy stuff.
How say you?
I'll be happy to PL your Section 2 tomorrow. I'm sure I owe you one, or two. :D
Thanks, Michele. Very nice of you.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Between pages 32 and 33 their is a huge footnote of dramatic and significant information.
However, the last few statements on page 33 (the last half of the footnote) are less significant, confusing, and will detract from the unusually relevant drama, and I think, importance of the first half.

So, I want to read the first half of the footnote on page 32, but not the remainder on page 33. Can I?
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

realisticspeakers wrote: June 10th, 2021, 4:19 am Between pages 32 and 33 their is a huge footnote of dramatic and significant information.
However, the last few statements on page 33 (the last half of the footnote) are less significant, confusing, and will detract from the unusually relevant drama, and I think, importance of the first half.

So, I want to read the first half of the footnote on page 32, but not the remainder on page 33. Can I?
I see your point.
So, yes, you may omit the latter half of the footnote. :thumbs:
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 2

:52 mutual action, you say attraction
3:56 he rallied the young chemist, you say scientist
8:58 the details were so exact, you say extact (with a t)