Post by williamjones »

Uploaded

Section 01 Lecture 1 Part 1 The Force of Gravitation
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/forcesofnature_01_faraday_128kb.mp3
16:53

and section 02 Lecture 1 Part 2 The Force of Gravitation
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/forcesofnature_02_faraday_128kb.mp3
21:47

Volunteers, please, to PL these two files for me.
Last edited by williamjones on June 14th, 2021, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: June 12th, 2021, 6:39 am Michele: Sanjay's interpretation is pretty solid, but still in the realm of conjecture. So, if you want to add this tabular data to your narration, go ahead and do so, otherwise leave it as is.
Well, I hate to throw away all this effort, but if it's okay with you, I'd just like to leave it as is, the way we leave most illustrations out of our narrations. I think to most listeners these figures will just go in one ear and out the other.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 13th, 2021, 9:18 pm
williamjones wrote: June 12th, 2021, 6:39 am Michele: Sanjay's interpretation is pretty solid, but still in the realm of conjecture. So, if you want to add this tabular data to your narration, go ahead and do so, otherwise leave it as is.
Well, I hate to throw away all this effort, but if it's okay with you, I'd just like to leave it as is, the way we leave most illustrations out of our narrations. I think to most listeners these figures will just go in one ear and out the other.
So let it be written, so let it be done!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

sanjayparikh wrote: June 12th, 2021, 2:41 am Uploaded Section 4 - Lecture 2 Part 2 (Gravitation Cohesion)

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/forcesofnature_04_faraday_128kb.mp3

Duration: 16 min 47 sec

I hope it is OK. Looking forward to your feedback.
Sanjay.... :clap: :clap:
Another sterling performance.
Flawless! and, therefore, PL OK!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
bhanups1991

Post by bhanups1991 »

bhanups1991 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 7:05 pm
williamjones wrote: June 8th, 2021, 4:35 pm
bhanups1991 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 12:32 pm Hi

I'd like to read/record section 9: Lecture 6 Correlation of the Physical Forces.

Thanks
Hello Bhanu,
I've looked through the sequence of your Librivox messages concerning the 1-minute test. The latest test audio sounds pretty good...technically. However, when I ran it through the free Checker.exe program (you can find where to download it onto your machine in the "Recording for Newbies" document in Librivox) it displayed these results explaining the file's failure:

The sampling rate should be 44.1 kHz (44,100 Hz).
The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).

I'm sure you'll have no problem sorting out this problem in the Audacity settings.

However, I found a couple of problems with your accent. Almost every sound is easily understandable to an English speakers' ears, except for "TH" and "V". The former is clearly (to my ears!) heard as a hard "T" as in "Tom" and the latter as a "W" as in "Water". It would be good if you could work on these fricative sounds before taking on a demanding recording of a generally scientific work. As msfry suggested, try some of the sections in short-form projects such as "weekly poetry" or "Short Stories", etc.

I will save section 9 for you for 2 weeks. Hopefully those English sounds in your accent can be tamed by then. I will then happily assign Section 9 to you then.

Thank you very much for offering your talents to this project.
Thanks a lot for your review and feedback. Much appreciated.
Let me work on the short-form projects as you said, maybe that'll bring out some change.
Thank you once again to save section 9 for me. Let me post a reply here after 2 weeks.

Thanks
Hi

I uploaded my new 1-minute test recently.
Could you take a quick look and give your feedback?

Here's the link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_bhanups1991.mp3

Thanks
bhanu
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

bhanups1991 wrote: June 14th, 2021, 9:12 am <snip>

Hi

Here's the link:

Thanks
Hello again, Bhanu,
Your file is much clearer.
One odd thing: early in the test there is phrase starting with "Thankful that this was Thursday the thirtieth..." in which there are several words starting with "TH", The "TH" in "Thankful" still comes across as a hard "T", but all the following ones sound with a standard British "TH" sound!!!
I heard no more mispronunciation of the "V letter.

You've probably used the word "Thank..." a million times, so it will be difficult to train your tongue, palate, and breathing to say it a different way from what you've become accustom to.

I am completing the assignment of section 9 to you. You may begin at any time.

Thank you for your extra efforts.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
bhanups1991

Post by bhanups1991 »

williamjones wrote: June 14th, 2021, 11:07 am
bhanups1991 wrote: June 14th, 2021, 9:12 am <snip>

Hi

Here's the link:

Thanks
Hello again, Bhanu,
Your file is much clearer.
One odd thing: early in the test there is phrase starting with "Thankful that this was Thursday the thirtieth..." in which there are several words starting with "TH", The "TH" in "Thankful" still comes across as a hard "T", but all the following ones sound with a standard British "TH" sound!!!
I heard no more mispronunciation of the "V letter.

You've probably used the word "Thank..." a million times, so it will be difficult to train your tongue, palate, and breathing to say it a different way from what you've become accustom to.

I am completing the assignment of section 9 to you. You may begin at any time.

Thank you for your extra efforts.
Thanks a lot.
Given your feedback, I guess this section 9 recording will be a true test of my narration/accent. :D
Anyway, I'll try my best.

Thanks again.
bhanu
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 1 is PL OK. What an interesting lecture. I hope every science teacher performs these experiments in their class! I'll listen to Section 2 shortly.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 2

2:28 stumble "to which, which fall"
17:45 oscillating like a pendulum, you say penden
18:19 and allow it then to fall, you say would
21:40 that force which causes all bodies, you say considers

The concepts in this lecture will be much harder to understand without the diagrams. Even with them, I was confused. :(
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 17th, 2021, 7:46 am PL Notes Section 2

2:28 stumble "to which, which fall"
17:45 oscillating like a pendulum, you say penden
18:19 and allow it then to fall, you say would
21:40 that force which causes all bodies, you say considers

The concepts in this lecture will be much harder to understand without the diagrams. Even with them, I was confused. :(
Uploaded corrected section 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/forcesofnature_02_faraday_128kb.mp3
21:46

Thank you, Michele.
Fixed all and uploaded.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi William,

I just looked at the MW and I noticed that the times are missing from the "notes" field. Could you please put in the full times, not just "21 Minutes"? I need to check whether the times are correct during cataloging. You can delete the word count too once you have the times. :wink:

Also, is there a reason why you included the section numbers 00, 01 etc. in the "title" field? It's not really necessary, and they will be duplicated on our catalog pages which I think is ugly... ?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

Availle wrote: June 17th, 2021, 5:26 pm Hi William,

Also, is there a reason why you included the section numbers 00, 01 etc. in the "title" field? It's not really necessary, and they will be duplicated on our catalog pages which I think is ugly... ?
I conducted a zoom session on this topic awhile back, trying to explain that if we don't do this, people listening on their phone using the Librivox Podcast App, Apple Podcast or Spotify apps, will not have any reference to section number on their screen. You'll say "End of Section 17, and there will be NO INDICATION on their screen of what the following section is. This get's massively problematic especially with books containing many chapters.

I recently created a sheet illustrating the importance of numbering your sections in the Title Column of your projects. Please have a look at these screenshots comparing what I mean as it applies to various scenarios:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqmYAdtBQdx8gq4_g1ShJewuvaFQMA

I've gotten a few BC's to use it and I hope to convert everyone eventually. I think their usefulness far outweighs what you consider their ugliness, and of course they do no harm. And I believe far more people listen over their phones than sitting at their computers.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Availle wrote: June 17th, 2021, 5:26 pm Hi William,

I just looked at the MW and I noticed that the times are missing from the "notes" field. Could you please put in the full times, not just "21 Minutes"? I need to check whether the times are correct during cataloging. You can delete the word count too once you have the times. :wink:

Will insert the "real" times tomorrow morning. Those numbers you see now are what my word-count/speak-timing utility gave me. In the last two weeks it has gone way off. I think the program was hacked. Thanks for the Heads-Up!

As for those section numbers in the "title" field, I did so after being advised that a large number of people listen to Librivox files on their phones via blogs and podcasts. In these cases I am told that the section numbers, being present, are very useful for navigating among the sections.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Section numbers are automatically added to the titles during cataloging. I have no idea why these apps do not display them. :?:

My view is that we cannot influence display issues on any of these apps - which may be changed at any moment by whomever makes them, or may not be updated or even exist anymore next week.

The only thing we can directly influence is how our own catalog looks, and there I find this double take of section numbers ugly.
Of course, this is not my BC project, so I don't really care either way. However, if at any time in the future the display issues with any of these apps are solved, and the BC thinks it looks ugly there as well, then I want you to know that I will not return and fix the project once it is catalogued.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Availle wrote: June 17th, 2021, 6:21 pm Section numbers are automatically added to the titles during cataloging. I have no idea why these apps do not display them. :?:

My view is that we cannot influence display issues on any of these apps - which may be changed at any moment by whomever makes them, or may not be updated or even exist anymore next week.

The only thing we can directly influence is how our own catalog looks, and there I find this double take of section numbers ugly.
Of course, this is not my BC project, so I don't really care either way. However, if at any time in the future the display issues with any of these apps are solved, and the BC thinks it looks ugly there as well, then I want you to know that I will not return and fix the project once it is catalogued.
I understand what you say about us Librivoxers having no control over either the inclusion or formatting of the title fields in these 3rd party blogs so that anything we do to help or hinder the blog makers might be worthless if the blog-maker changes his/her code. Michele, my mentor from day #1, has always given me sound advice, so I was happy to take her advice in this instance and it was no big deal to do so.

I hope that you and she will take the time to discuss this matter again - in public so others like me can get an idea of what the pros and cons are. Availle, a couple of examples of the "ugliness" you mention would be great. And, Michele, a single example of how including the section numbers in the title is helpful to blog readers would be nice, too.

Thank you both for taking time to make me aware of what's going on.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison