sanjayparikh

Post by sanjayparikh »

Section 3 - Lecture 2 Part 1 uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/forcesofnature_03_faraday_128kb.mp3

Duration: 20 min 21 sec

I hope this is OK.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

sanjayparikh wrote: June 10th, 2021, 12:23 pm Section 3 - Lecture 2 Part 1 uploaded

I hope this is OK.
Thank you, Sanjay.
My early guess that your voice and delivery would be very good for this Faraday project is proven to be correct. You did a great job on this section, with only a couple of very minor corrections necessary:
(1) the leading silence in your file was just a bit longer than 1 second. Please cut it back to be somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds; similarly, the trailing silence should be 5 seconds, but it appears to be 6 seconds. This is picky, I know, but that's what the specs are.
(2) starting at 13:04 and continuing through 13:50 there is faint background noise that sounds like a TV or Radio. You should do your own preliminary Proofing before you upload your file with head phones on. Had you done so you would have caught this noise. Perhaps Availlle can offer you a tip on how to scrub this slight noise from your file. Otherwise, you'll have to re-record those 50 seconds.

Faraday is attracting a lot of very good narrators/readers. Lucky us!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
sanjayparikh

Post by sanjayparikh »

williamjones wrote: June 10th, 2021, 7:47 pm
sanjayparikh wrote: June 10th, 2021, 12:23 pm Section 3 - Lecture 2 Part 1 uploaded

I hope this is OK.
Thank you, Sanjay.
My early guess that your voice and delivery would be very good for this Faraday project is proven to be correct. You did a great job on this section, with only a couple of very minor corrections necessary:
(1) the leading silence in your file was just a bit longer than 1 second. Please cut it back to be somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds; similarly, the trailing silence should be 5 seconds, but it appears to be 6 seconds. This is picky, I know, but that's what the specs are.
(2) starting at 13:04 and continuing through 13:50 there is faint background noise that sounds like a TV or Radio. You should do your own preliminary Proofing before you upload your file with head phones on. Had you done so you would have caught this noise. Perhaps Availlle can offer you a tip on how to scrub this slight noise from your file. Otherwise, you'll have to re-record those 50 seconds.

Many thanks. I will fix these issues and re-send over the weekend. It is indeed fascinating to read these lectures as they were originally delivered. I wish there was some way to make the diagrams come alive for the listener!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here is Section 7. A very interesting section. I hope every chemistry teacher will do these experiments and explain them so well.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/forcesofnature_07_faraday_128kb.mp3 27:46

I did not know how to read the table which shows up about 1/3 of the way into the recording. I will gladly re-record that portion if you tell me how to say it.

Also, my tongue must be slightly swollen lately, perhaps from a medication I am taking, so some of my es's sound like th's. I am making a concerted effort not to do that but there are just so darn many of them. :shock:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 11th, 2021, 12:58 pm Here is Section 7. A very interesting section. I hope every chemistry teacher will do these experiments and explain them so well.

I did not know how to read the table which shows up about 1/3 of the way into the recording. I will gladly re-record that portion if you tell me how to say it.

Also, my tongue must be slightly swollen lately, perhaps from a medication I am taking, so some of my es's sound like th's. I am making a concerted effort not to do that but there are just so darn many of them. :shock:
Thank you Michele.
I am not ignorant of chemistry nor basic physics but the table you mention is unintelligible in so far as the columns are not identified. Without that information, the numbers in the body of the table are meaningless. Therefore, unless someone figures out what the columns represent (Grams per Mole or some such, perhaps) and that someone tells us, please just ignore the table completely. I'll PL your file this evening and see what you did.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 11th, 2021, 12:58 pm Here is Section 7. A very interesting section. I hope every chemistry teacher will do these experiments and explain them so well.

Again, a very nice recitation, Michele. :clap:
I heard one, tiny, glitch which you may or may not choose to fix:
19:51.5 odd brief, almost screeching momentary sound in the middle of the phrase:
"...because I have limited the supply <SCREECH> of oxygen..."

As for your swollen tongue... sounds like a case of angiodema. But, I heard nothing in your speech beyond the usual silvery tones. It is a very good reading. Get rid of that SCREECH, crop out that reference to the table and it's good to go.
Thanks, again.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here is my revised Section 7, without chart. I couldn't hear a screech with headphones, but I re'recorded that snippet anyway.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/forcesofnature_07_faraday_128kb.mp3 27:05

I'll look up that angiodema, thee what it theth. :D
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 11th, 2021, 5:44 pm Here is my revised Section 7, without chart. I couldn't hear a screech with headphones, but I re'recorded that snippet anyway.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/forcesofnature_07_faraday_128kb.mp3 27:05

I'll look up that angiodema, thee what it theth. :D
Thank you again, Michele.
This version of the file is crystal clear and deserving of much praise and emulation.
I wish *I* could read so clearly and well-nuanced.
The volunteers who have found this project are all very good. :clap: :clap:

Your file here, is PPPPPLLLLLL OOOOOKKKKK
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
sanjayparikh

Post by sanjayparikh »

williamjones wrote: June 11th, 2021, 2:03 pm

Thank you Michele.
I am not ignorant of chemistry nor basic physics but the table you mention is unintelligible in so far as the columns are not identified. Without that information, the numbers in the body of the table are meaningless. Therefore, unless someone figures out what the columns represent (Grams per Mole or some such, perhaps) and that someone tells us, please just ignore the table completely. I'll PL your file this evening and see what you did.
Interesting! Being a bit of a nerd myself, I took a stab at deciphering this table and here is what I think:
Each column represents the relative densities of the different substances. That depends on which substance you define to have a density of 1. Hence, in column 1, it is assumed that hydrogen has a density of 1. In that case, the relative densities of air, water and platinum are 14.4, 11943 and 256774 respectively. Similarly, in column 2, it is assumed that air has a density of 1. In this case, the relative density of water and platinum is 829 (11943 divided by 14.4) and 17831 (256774 divided by 14.4) respectively. And the same then applies to the last column where water is assumed to have a density of 1 and hence platinum has a relative density of 21.5.
I hope this helps....although I don't see how you would narrate this in an audio recording! :hmm:
sanjayparikh

Post by sanjayparikh »

I hope this is OK.
Thank you, Sanjay.

Re-uploaded Section 3 after making the corrections suggested. I re-recorded the section between 13:04 and 13:50. Hopefully, the noise is gone.

Duration: 20 min 19.5 sec
sanjayparikh

Post by sanjayparikh »

Uploaded Section 4 - Lecture 2 Part 2 (Gravitation Cohesion)

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/forcesofnature_04_faraday_128kb.mp3

Duration: 16 min 47 sec

I hope it is OK. Looking forward to your feedback.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

sanjayparikh wrote: June 12th, 2021, 12:58 am

<snip>

Re-uploaded Section 3 after making the corrections suggested. I re-recorded the section between 13:04 and 13:50. Hopefully, the noise is gone.

Duration: 20 min 19.5 sec
Sanjay, section 03 is now PL OK !!
Thank you. :thumbs:
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

sanjayparikh wrote: June 11th, 2021, 11:49 pm
williamjones wrote: June 11th, 2021, 2:03 pm
msfry wrote: June 11th, 2021, 12:58 pm Here is Section 7.

Interesting! Being a bit of a nerd myself, I took a stab at deciphering this table and here is what I think:
Each column represents the relative densities of the different substances. That depends on which substance you define to have a density of 1. Hence, in column 1, it is assumed that hydrogen has a density of 1. In that case, the relative densities of air, water and platinum are 14.4, 11943 and 256774 respectively. Similarly, in column 2, it is assumed that air has a density of 1. In this case, the relative density of water and platinum is 829 (11943 divided by 14.4) and 17831 (256774 divided by 14.4) respectively. And the same then applies to the last column where water is assumed to have a density of 1 and hence platinum has a relative density of 21.5.
I hope this helps....although I don't see how you would narrate this in an audio recording! :hmm:
Sanjay, Thank you for looking into the table's numbers and suggesting a relationship.
I think you're saying that this is an incomplete cross-table of 4 elements; and, therefore that the THREE columns (not FOUR) should be titled "Hydrogen", "Air" and "Water".

When I saw the diagonal descending 1s, the same idea occurred to me, too, but I couldn't explain why Platinum was omitted from the columns. Now I realize that the fourth column would have only a "1" at the bottom, which is not informative and so was omitted.

So, the "829" figure, found at the intersection of the Water row and Air column represents the relative density of Water to Air.

And, the 21.5 figure at the intersection of the Platinum row and Water column represents the relative density of Platinum to Water.

And, because the number are pure ratios, there is no need to cite units, such as gm/cm3 or lbs/ft3 etc.

Thank you, Sanjay, for unlocking the "secret" of the table!

Now, I can suggest to Michele ONE simple way to read this table:
===========================
[reading the figures in column 1, Hydrogen]
"The relative density of Air to Hydrogen is 14.4, and Water to hydrogen 11,943, and Platinum to hydrogen 256,774.

[column 2, Air]
The relative density of Water to air is 829 and Platinum to air is 17,831

[column 3, Water]
The relative density Platinum to Water is 21.5
===========================

Michele: Sanjay's interpretation is pretty solid, but still in the realm of conjecture. So, if you want to add this tabular data to your narration, go ahead and do so, otherwise leave it as is.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
sanjayparikh

Post by sanjayparikh »

Can I claim sections 5 and 6?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

sanjayparikh wrote: June 12th, 2021, 10:44 pm Can I claim sections 5 and 6?
Yes, you may. Thank you for taking on still more Faraday.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison