[COMPLETE] On The Various Forces of Nature - availlle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

On The Various Forces of Nature, by Michael Faraday (1791 - 1867)

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/on-the-various-forces-of-nature-by-michael-faraday/

A non-mathematical survey of the fundamental forces of nature and some relationships among them. This is a series of lectures aimed at young people. He starts off with the most fundamental and familiar forces of all: Gravity and Heat. Then by a progression of examples and experiments goes on to describe atomic/molecular adhesion in solids, liquids and gases, which he groups under the rubric of "Chemical Affinity". And, no collection of Faraday's theories could omit his discoveries in Electricity and Magnetism. (Summary by William A Jones)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/onvariousforceso00farauoft/page/n5/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: word-perfect, this is a scientific document after all!
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Science/Astronomy, Physics & Mechanics
Keywords that describe the book: electricity, faraday, electro-magnetism, natural forces
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of On The Various Forces of Nature. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "On The Various Forces of Nature, by Michael Faraday. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of On The Various Forces of Nature, by Michael Faraday."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: forcesofnature_##_faraday_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. forcesofnature_01_faraday_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by williamjones on June 23rd, 2021, 7:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Ah, this seems to be one of the christmas lectures...

It's getting a bit late here, but I'll set this up for you tomorrow morning. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Availle wrote: June 5th, 2021, 7:21 am Ah, this seems to be one of the christmas lectures...

It's getting a bit late here, but I'll set this up for you tomorrow morning. :D
Many thanks!

There's another Faraday project on my screen right now. When it rains, it pours, Faradaily speaking.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, MW has arrived. Good luck with it! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Section 00 -- Preface
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/forcesofnature_00_faraday_128kb.mp3 4:47

Explanatory and laudatory.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Ava, should the title slug have the "[PHYSICS]" be changed to "[GROUP]" ??
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Since we'll be moving to "readers wanted", the group aspect is rather self-explanatory I would think. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Andie

Post by Andie »

Hi! I am new to librivox, May I help with this project? :)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Andie wrote: June 6th, 2021, 5:15 am Hi! I am new to librivox, May I help with this project? :)
Hi, Andie!
I see that you've asked to help with my other Faraday project, too, "Faraday as Discoverer". I'll post these comments there, too.
Your help will be appreciated; however, before you take the time and effort to record a section, it would be VERY wise to be sure your recording technical aspects are correct for Librivox, i.e., mono/stereo, bit rate, general volume, etc. etc.
You should go to this link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording and absorb its info, then take the link here https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording#Preliminary_Test
to verify you've got the technical aspects set up correctly. This is colloquially called the 1-Minute Test. Someone will report back to you on the suitability of your recording.

By the way, the program AUDACITY is by far the most popular programs used to create and edit your audio recordings. It's a free program and there are loads of helpful videos for it.

After doing these things, come back to this project and choose a section you'd like to record. Say, for example, "May I be assigned section ##?" where "##" is the number of a section which is still not yet assigned.

Many folks new to Librivox try their hand first with one of the many short-form projects such as the weekly or fortnightly poetry projects, or Short Story projects.

Welcome to Librivox! Let's get you up and running and having fun.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

I would like to claim Section 10, Lighthouse Illumination
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 6th, 2021, 6:48 am I would like to claim Section 10, Lighthouse Illumination
Good to see again so soon, Michele.
Section 10 is yours.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

May I claim Section 8, Lecture 5 Magnetism, Electricity, please?

This looks like great fun. Thanks for finding it.
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: June 6th, 2021, 2:39 pm May I claim Section 8, Lecture 5 Magnetism, Electricity, please?

This looks like great fun. Thanks for finding it.
Thank you very much for taking part in this project. Faraday deserves to bask in more exposure and fame than he has hitherto been allotted.

Section 8 is yours!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Perusing through the book, I realize that the final section is just a series of notes on each Lecture 1-6. As you have not asked readers to include the Lecture Notes in the sections they read, I wonder if it makes sense to read them separately as a final section. Thought I'd share my two cents.

My section on Lighthouse Illumination is actually a 7th lecture, which would make such a good stand-alone presentation, I've decided I am going to withdraw my claim for Section 10 on this project, and submit it to the Short Nonfiction Collection. This will give someone else the chance to enjoy presenting it here (it's a delightful read, and not hard), and posting it over there will serve as a cross reference to this book.

Great project, and good luck with it. If you don't claim the cover, I'll make a run for it myself. I have a great lighthouse image that's been looking for a cover. :D
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 6th, 2021, 4:32 pm Perusing through the book, I realize that the final section is just a series of notes on each Lecture 1-6. As you have not asked readers to include the Lecture Notes in the sections they read, I wonder if it makes sense to read them separately as a final section. Thought I'd share my two cents.

My section on Lighthouse Illumination is actually a 7th lecture, which would make such a good stand-alone presentation, I've decided I am going to withdraw my claim for Section 10 on this project, and submit it to the Short Nonfiction Collection. This will give someone else the chance to enjoy presenting it here (it's a delightful read, and not hard), and posting it over there will serve as a cross reference to this book.

Great project, and good luck with it. If you don't claim the cover, I'll make a run for it myself. I have a great lighthouse image that's been looking for a cover. :D
You're a kind an generous soul.

As for the lecture notes portion, I initially thought about asking the readers of the regular sections to locate the Notes that apply to their section and read them as an add-on, but I figured that would make things too complicated and so decided just to have the notes read in their entirety.

Thank you again for your thoughts and comments.

Michele, Do not STOP, do not pass GO - reach out for the cover of this and the other Faraday project! I have no interest in doing these two covers.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison