Complete [SCI-FI/FANTASY] The Green Millennium, by Fritz Leiber-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

The Green Millennium, by Fritz Leiber (1910 - 1992)

Volunteers outside the USA: Fritz Leiber died in 1992. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
From the classic science-fiction and fantasy author Fritz Leiber comes this intriguing tale of a green cat.

From the author's introduction: "The world Phil Gish lived in was not a pretty one, and Phil didn't enjoy living in it. He was disillusioned, purposeless, hopeless, and haunted by the fear that a robot would take over his job. But then Phil was a timid person, not much given to adventure seeking. If he hadn't been so mild he might have found his kicks at All Amusements, the syndicated playground where anyone could find fun, providing he had the proper sadistic and otherwise aberrated elements in his personality. But Phil was good—and bored.

And then one day a cat perched on his window—not an ordinary cat—a green cat. For the first time in years Phil was happy. He promptly named the cat Lucky because he somehow knew that as long as the cat stayed with him he'd feel fine. But Lucky didn't stay long. In a matter of minutes he had disappeared into All Amusements park. It was then that Phil became involved in a grotesque world, peopled with the most extraordinary personalities. Just what the cat is and its ultimate meaning is the secret of it all. You will be surprised." (Summary by Larry Wilson)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-green-millennium-by-fritz-leiber/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/65482

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
=============================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction; Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: sci-fi, fantasy, sf, American Literature, golden age science fiction, phil gish, lucky, green cat

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

NOTE: The author's last name, Leiber, is pronounced with a long "i" as in "rider."

Say:
" Chapter # of The Green Millennium. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Green Millennium, by Fritz Leiber. Chapter Number."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter Number." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Green Millennium, by Fritz Leiber."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: greenmillennium_##_leiber_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. greenmillennium_01_leiber_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by silverquill on June 7th, 2021, 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Larry,
This looks like a lot of fun. The MW is up now.
Cheers!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
loon

Post by loon »

Fun!

Larry, may I have chapter 1 please?
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Internet is not the best where we are camping this weekend, so I'll take care of the MW tomorrow night.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks for your patience!
MW filled in with word counts.

Rich, I've signed you up for Chapter 1.
Please read the blurb just before the actual chapter. I've quoted that for the intro, but it also needs to be read for the book.

I've added a note about the pronunciation for Leiber.
I found a video of an interview with him where he corrected the interviewer on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUHrdLUqfcg

Amy, I think I'll go ahead and be my own DPL for this book.

Thanks so much.
~ Larry
loon

Post by loon »

silverquill wrote: June 7th, 2021, 7:33 am Thanks for your patience!

Please read the blurb just before the actual chapter. I've quoted that for the intro, but it also needs to be read for the book.

I found a video of an interview with him where he corrected the interviewer on this.

Thanks so much.
OK, I had listened to a few LibriVox recordings and the majority of readers pronounced the name Lee-brrr, but I guess Fritz gets more votes than the rest of us put together so I'll go with Lye-brrr (and make sure the introduction is in there as well). Do you want me to read "introduction and chapter 1 of The Green Millennium" or just "chapter 1"?
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Yeah, I know, and at least one pronunciation site had it wrong. But, it does follow the rule "ei" is long "i: and "ie" is a long "e." And the author was quite clear..

I had thought of taking the first chapter, but glad to have you do it. Here is what I was going to do. Just read the intro as usual, but not say Chapter one going right into that blurb at the beginning, then say "chapter one" where it begins. Alternatively, just the usual intro, with Chapter I, and not repeat it when it begins. Both would work equally well I think.
~ Larry
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

silverquill wrote: June 7th, 2021, 7:33 am Thanks for your patience!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUHrdLUqfcg

Thanks so much.
Hi Larry,
I added you as DPL. I'll move you to Readers Wanted.
Thanks,
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
AricReed

Post by AricReed »

May I have a crack at chapter 3?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

AricReed wrote: June 8th, 2021, 9:48 am May I have a crack at chapter 3?
All yours.
Thank you!
~ Larry
Roger

Post by Roger »

Might I have a try at chapter 13?
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Roger wrote: June 11th, 2021, 7:12 am Might I have a try at chapter 13?
You're in for this chapter.
Thank you!
~ Larry
tinyhamsterbiglegs

Post by tinyhamsterbiglegs »

May I have chapter 2?
Anja :)
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 13 has been recorded and uploaded:

Link - https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillennium_13_leiber_128kb.mp3
Time - 10:16

It's been a while, so be as critical as necessary.

Thanks!
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Roger wrote: June 16th, 2021, 2:09 pm Chapter 13 has been recorded and uploaded:

Link - https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillennium_13_leiber_128kb.mp3
Time - 10:16

It's been a while, so be as critical as necessary.

Thanks!
Can find no criticisms at all. In fact this is just great reading!
Feel free to read some more chapters if you like. :wink:

Glad to mark this PL OK.
~ Larry