[COMPLETE] [1700s memoir] The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
storythom

Post by storythom »

Please advise on the following suggestion. Section 8's ending and section 9's beginning are in the middle of a day's (Saturday, August 26th, 1775) journal entry. Would it not be a better placement of section 8's end to be after the day's end which would be "she came to bed" and thus section 9 would then begin at "Sunday, August 27th"? It would seem to make the reading flow better in between the sections.
Let me know how to proceed. Thanks.
Story Thom
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

storythom wrote: July 25th, 2021, 2:25 pm Please advise on the following suggestion. Section 8's ending and section 9's beginning are in the middle of a day's (Saturday, August 26th, 1775) journal entry. Would it not be a better placement of section 8's end to be after the day's end which would be "she came to bed" and thus section 9 would then begin at "Sunday, August 27th"? It would seem to make the reading flow better in between the sections.
Let me know how to proceed. Thanks.
If you find that it makes more sense, you're welcome to divide it the way you described :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
tcjsavannah

Post by tcjsavannah »

Hello. I'm starting my reading and I've run across what looks to be a self-censored word. p273 it says "the Colonel ill of the C---p in bed."

Google has been no help. Should I just read this as "c" then "p" and move on? Or does anyone happen to know what this would be? Thank you.

-- Chad
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

tcjsavannah wrote: July 30th, 2021, 7:08 am Hello. I'm starting my reading and I've run across what looks to be a self-censored word. p273 it says "the Colonel ill of the C---p in bed."

Google has been no help. Should I just read this as "c" then "p" and move on? Or does anyone happen to know what this would be? Thank you.
It's probably the "clap" (a colloquial term for gonorrhea), but "uncensoring" it would be venturing beyond reading out loud and into editorial work. It's better to try conveying the way it's printed. How that might be accomplished is up to you and the BC. :)

Michael
tcjsavannah

Post by tcjsavannah »

Very well, I'll leave it as I initially read it and see how it sounds!

Here are sections 19 and 20.

Section 19
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/journal_19_cresswell_128kb.mp3

26:28

Section 20
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/journal_20_cresswell_128kb.mp3

1:49

-- Chad
mattm

Post by mattm »

Hi, I'm new to LibriVox, and I have passed my 1-minute test.
May I claim sections 10 and 11?
Please credit me as "Matthew McNaughton".
storythom

Post by storythom »

Story Thom
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

mattm wrote: August 4th, 2021, 8:42 pm Hi, I'm new to LibriVox, and I have passed my 1-minute test.
May I claim sections 10 and 11?
Please credit me as "Matthew McNaughton".
Thank you for your interest in this project :)
Here is your reader catalogue page: https://librivox.org/reader/16521 That's where you'll be able to see the detailed information about the sections you claimed.
Your claim has been added to the Magic Window in the first post.
Have a good time reading :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Just to give you an update...

I have successfully moved house and gotten my recording area set up. I have recorded section 3 (editing today) and will be working next on 4 and 5. I may miss getting all 3 up by 17 Aug (my deadline) but they are in progress and will be up soon :)

Jennifer
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

JenniferFour wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:22 am Just to give you an update...

I have successfully moved house and gotten my recording area set up. I have recorded section 3 (editing today) and will be working next on 4 and 5. I may miss getting all 3 up by 17 Aug (my deadline) but they are in progress and will be up soon :)

Jennifer
Thank you for posting. I was wondering the other day how you were doing regarding the project :) Have no fear about missing the deadline by a mere few days, now that you've posted :)
mattm

Post by mattm »

For review:

Section 10
Length 27:35
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/journal_10_cresswell_128kb.mp3

This is my first submission to LibriVox. I'm eager for any feedback, however nitpicky. Thanks!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

All the newly-delivered sections have been put in the MW. Thank you :)
mattm

Post by mattm »

I re-uploaded Section 10 because I realized I had forgotten to say "End of section 10" at the end. I also trimmed out extra space from the beginning.

New length 27:31
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

mattm wrote: August 14th, 2021, 3:31 pm I re-uploaded Section 10 because I realized I had forgotten to say "End of section 10" at the end. I also trimmed out extra space from the beginning.

New length 27:31
Runtime amended in MW. The file itself is replaced automatically.
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Recording section 5 (page 60 in the archive text) and cannot figure out the abbreviation B.O.B. Normally, I like to read abbreviations out (to make it easier for the listener) but can't in this case. Any ideas?

Text: Left Leesburg. Crossed the Blue Ridge at Snicker’s Gap. B.O.B. Dined at Mr. Snickers but he is not at home, but his Son-in-law gave me a letter to a certain George Rice,
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM