[COMPLETE] [1700s memoir] The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell 1774-1777, by Nicholas Cresswell (1750 - 1804)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-journal-of-nicholas-cresswell/
Against his family's wishes, the son of an English landowner emigrates to America in 1774 for reasons he won't reveal. His adventures take him
from Barbados to trade cotton, to the Ohio frontier in search of farmland, and back to the ruins of New York during the Revolutionary War. Refusing to fight for the American side, fearing death in prison, and with his money running out, he struggles to find a way back to England.

Amazing adventures and fascinating observations of life, politics, piracy, survival in Indian country, and parties at George Washington's house during this critical period in America's history. (Summary by Matthew McNaughton)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/journalofnichola0000cres/page/n7/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
""Section [#] of The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell 1774-1777. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell 1774-1777 [Section [#]] [section Title] [Part (if necessary)]"
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell 1774-1777, by Nicholas Cresswell."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: journal_##_cresswell_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. journal_01_cresswell_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Piotrek81 on March 1st, 2022, 8:44 am, edited 11 times in total.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Since my previous group project, The Deluge, is coming to a close any day, I've decided to launch a new one, this time much shorter :mrgreen:

I've given the number of the sections as 30 just to be safe but I probably won't need as many. EDIT: I amended the number of sections I need.

I've come across this work thanks to the Townsends YouTube channel. Here's the video about the memoir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veUXxUznbj8
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

The Google Books link is a scan of the 1924 edition, but it's not freely available. The ebook has a price and at the left it says:
Pages displayed by permission of Applewood Books. Copyright.
I don't believe they can legally claim copyright for this scan, and I'm not sure if all the pages are currently visible, but this publisher could change their access permissions, so we can't use this book.

There's a scan at the Archive that we can use:

https://archive.org/details/journalofnichola0000cres/page/n7/mode/2up

Michael
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I'll be glad to set this up for you. Be right back with the MW.

Update: the MW is up. I've shortened the filename. After you decide whether the intro/outro will use the word "chapter" or "section", please edit the first post to keep just the right one. We'll keep this thread on the launch pad for a couple of days.

Update 2: Sorry, I think I missed your update for the number of sections needed. Please let me know and I'll adjust the MW.

Michael
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thanks a lot. I think for the foreword I'll just go with "foreword"/"end of foreword" and then "chapter ... ") The final section count is 20.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

This looks interesting, can I sign on as DPL?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Extra rows have been removed.

The page numbers and other notes for readers should be moved from Title to Notes. The Title column gets exported to the catalog, so we don't want to put any internal notes there.

You may want to clarify the format of intro/outro for multi-part chapters. I wouldn't be sure what I should read in the intro/outro for section 4, for instance. Chapter 3 part 2 of...? End of chapter 3? Does "section title" after the disclaimer refer to everything in the Title column or to the chapter title?

Also, congratulations on your upcoming 4000th post! :D

Michael
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Kazbek wrote: May 16th, 2021, 11:44 am The page numbers and other notes for readers should be moved from Title to Notes. The Title column gets exported to the catalog, so we don't want to put any internal notes there.

You may want to clarify the format of intro/outro for multi-part chapters. I wouldn't be sure what I should read in the intro/outro for section 4, for instance. Chapter 3 part 2 of...? End of chapter 3? Does "section title" after the disclaimer refer to everything in the Title column or to the chapter title?

Also, congratulations on your upcoming 4000th post! :D

Michael
You're obviously right about the notes. I'll do it tomorrow. The same with the intro/outro format for the longer sections. Shows that I haven't BCed much :mrgreen: Until then people are welcome to claim the shorter sections
ColleenMc wrote: May 16th, 2021, 11:37 am This looks interesting, can I sign on as DPL?

Colleen
You sure can. Welcome aboard :thumbs:
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Colleen has been added as DPL!

Michael
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

OK, notes have been moved. Proper intros and outros for the longer sections, tomorrow.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Kazbek wrote: May 16th, 2021, 11:44 am

I re-phrased the titles in the MW by getting rid of the "chapter" and updated intro/outro. Can you take a look? I think everything is OK now, but a second opinion is always helpful. :)
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Looks good to me, though I think Colleen's opinion is more important, since she will have to check if the readers are following your intention.

Moving us to Readers Wanted!

Michael
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I like that. Having the section numbers instead of chapter numbers works well when you have split chapters I think.

One small note, the word Harbour is misspelled in both halves of that chapter...an extra R sneaked in.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Also, with IA books I generally download the PDF and use the Books app on my iPad to read them.I was going through marking the sections and saw a couple of blank pages. Checked the text as shown on IA (the one you can flip thru) and the missing pages were visible there. This is mostly a note for myself in case I find any weird skips when I’m prooflistening as readers may have the same issue.

There is one blank page that’s supposed to be there as there is an illustration in the first chapter that has a blank page after it, but that page is not part of the page numbering. If there’s a blank that skips a page number in whatever version you are reading from, there is some text missing!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon