[COMPLETE] The Centaurians by Biagi - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Of course! You're already assigned for chapter 4 in the magic window :thumbs: Have fun recording!
MichaelCarter

Post by MichaelCarter »

Hi guys,

I'm overviewing my chapter and i'm hazy on how to say this word. Propellier, (the train machine)
What do you think?

I've recorded my 3 main guesses as options 1, 2 & 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/pronuncition_propellier_michaelcarter.mp3
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

MichaelCarter wrote: June 8th, 2021, 11:12 am Hi guys,

I'm overviewing my chapter and i'm hazy on how to say this word. Propellier, (the train machine)
What do you think?

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/pronuncition_propellier_michaelcarter.mp3
That’s a great question! :thumbs: It would be great if we can agree on a common pronunciation for this special name. I haven’t encountered this word yet for my reading, if anyone else has already spoken it — it’s probably one of the three variants, just let us know, so that we can agree on it. If no one has yet spoken this word, I would vote for variant 2 (the stress on 2nd syllable, pe) because it sounds more English. ;)
MichaelCarter

Post by MichaelCarter »

Great, option #2 sounds good to me! :D
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

MichaelCarter wrote: June 9th, 2021, 4:09 pm Great, option #2 sounds good to me! :D
Each one sounds good to me, I just picked the 2nd one for the said reason. ;) Thank you again for the great suggestions! :thumbs:
EmberLin

Post by EmberLin »

gyllila wrote: June 8th, 2021, 11:42 am
MichaelCarter wrote: June 8th, 2021, 11:12 am Hi guys,

What do you think?

That’s a great question! :thumbs: It would be great if we can agree on a common pronunciation for this special name. I haven’t encountered this word yet for my reading, if anyone else has already spoken it — it’s probably one of the three variants, just let us know, so that we can agree on it. If no one has yet spoken this word, I would vote for variant 2 (the stress on 2nd syllable, pe) because it sounds more English. ;)
Oh my goodness, I was thinking the same thing and I’m glad you said something! I had originally gone with your option 2 pronunciation during my own reading, it looks like we’re all on the same page. 😊
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

EmberLin wrote: June 10th, 2021, 12:10 am
Oh my goodness, I was thinking the same thing and I’m glad you said something! I had originally gone with your option 2 pronunciation during my own reading, it looks like we’re all on the same page. 😊
Yeah, great coincidence that we all chose Michael’s option #2. :clap:
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

Rapunzelina wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 12:37 pm
You have the slightest background white noise, and was wondering if you have tried light noise reduction to see if it makes any difference. In these low levels it may as well make no difference :mrgreen:
Hi, thank you again for the tip! But where is the light noise reduction? I found Noise Reduction in Effect, is this the same? After applying Noise Reduction to the entire file, also the volume is turned down, reapplying Amplify doesn’t restore the original volume, the volume is lower than before even when I applied the maximum level for Amplify. Did I do something wrong? :help:
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

Rapunzelina wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 12:37 pm
You have the slightest background white noise, and was wondering if you have tried light noise reduction to see if it makes any difference. In these low levels it may as well make no difference :mrgreen:
Problem solved. :D I used ReplayGain in addition to Noise Reduction. Sometimes, it still sounds not loud enough, but it passed Checker. ;) Here is the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/centaurians_02_biagi_128kb.mp3

Duration: 15:43

Then I will continue with chapter 6. ;)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes, I meant Noise Reduction with light settings.
Here's how I do it:
First, select (highlight with the mouse) just a portion of the recording with no speech in it, maybe from the very end, or between sentences, then go to Effect -> Noise reduction to click "Get Noise Profile", then select the whole recording, and again Effect -> Noise reduction, check the settings and click "OK".
I use these settings, which I think are relatively light, so you could try them:
Noise reduction: 10
Sensitivity: 3
Frequency smoothing: 2

In the wiki there's more info, like: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Noisecleaning_With_Pics#2._Select_a_Noise_Sample
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

Rapunzelina wrote: June 10th, 2021, 3:44 pm Yes, I meant Noise Reduction with light settings.
Here's how I do it:
Thank you for the very detailed information! :thumbs: which is very helpful for a tech novice like me. :P

Then I did the noise reduction the wrong way, somehow the replay gain has worked. :D Should I re-edit it before you start listening? The voice sounds a bit strange, but it possibly has more to do with my terrible accent than with my wrong way of operating noise reduction. :P
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I can't download just now, so it won't be until tomorrow before I listen. If you feel like experimenting, you can try again noise reduction on your original if you still have it. Until tomorrow :D
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

Rapunzelina wrote: June 10th, 2021, 4:15 pm I can't download just now, so it won't be until tomorrow before I listen. If you feel like experimenting, you can try again noise reduction on your original if you still have it. Until tomorrow :D
I had the original, but could not undo the noise reduction, so I recorded chapter 2 anew and re-uploaded it:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/centaurians_02_biagi_128kb.mp3

Duration: 15:39

Thank you for your patience. :D
MichaelCarter

Post by MichaelCarter »

Hi,

I've completed my chapter, section 5. I think its ready for Proof Listening
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/centaurians_05_biagi_128kb.mp3

Also, i am very interested in any criticism anyone might have. I take frank advice well. so don't worry about hurting my feelings. :D
let me know what you think.
gyllila

Post by gyllila »

MichaelCarter wrote: June 11th, 2021, 9:45 am Hi,

I've completed my chapter, section 5. I think its ready for Proof Listening
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/centaurians_05_biagi_128kb.mp3

Also, i am very interested in any criticism anyone might have. I take frank advice well. so don't worry about hurting my feelings. :D
let me know what you think.
Great! :thumbs: I have checked it with checker and, since everything is fine, marked it as ready for PL. Do you want to claim one more chapter? Don't forget to mention the duration next time, though. ;) I can also read the duration from checker, but it would be nicer if you could directly state it in the post next time. :)

Rapuzelina is our DPL and will listen to your recording. I will also listen to it, but rather because you speak native English while I still have to learn. :P So very probably I cannot be helpful in this point. :(