Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Here's Chapter 7 (22:58).

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/newcomes_07_thackeray_128kb.mp3

In two places, I rendered dashes as bleeps:
15:27 “of the year 183—"
16:27 “Since the fort saluted the Governor-General at ———"
It would probably be less distracting for the listener just to hear vague wording at these points, so I recorded a version with “eighteen thirty-something” for the former and “at that place in India” for the latter, which I could upload instead. However, added words like these would have to be cleared with the BC, I think. In Chapter 13 I read “eighteen twenty-something” where something similar appeared. Alternatively, I could express the typography directly by saying “eighteen thirty-dash” and “Governor-General at dash dash dash.”

Corrections:
19:50 “Mr Newcome slowly uttered” to “Mrs. Newcome slowly uttered”
20:48 “These and some more I have been good enough to promise me a visit to-night” to “These and some more have been good enough to promise me a visit to-night” (I’m guessing that the “I” was originally a stray piece of leading.)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you for your recordings, Ryan and Ariphron!

Another way to "read" dashes is to say the word "blank". "Since the fort saluted the Governor-General at [short pause] blank."
or add a discreet cough "Since the fort saluted the Governor-General at *cough*"
or just leave a ...meaningful pause :mrgreen:
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

I am reading Section 21, Chapter 21 and there is a section written in Greek. I am not familiar with Greek at all. It happens in a discussion of art and I think it can be ignored without changing the meaning of anything. If you are looking for it, it is just below the poem half way through the piece. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello, I just came for a short visit. Look, we have to record the text as it is. We cannot ignore passages. The reason is that some listeners follow along with the text. And, of course, ideological.
Please ask for help in the need help forum. I saw many readers who managed to produce very decent readings this way. It may also be fun for you to learn.
I follow around and I want to thank you for your hard work.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

Hi, when I ask for help in the help section can I ask someone to look at the section in the book that I am reading as I have no way of producing the Greek letters. I am new here and don't know all the ways to ask for help. Thank you for your input as I would like the reading to be as accurate as possible.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I can help you with the Greek text. I will record it and post it here for you to listen a bit later.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sections 3, 8, 9, 10, 13 are PL OK! Great job all around! Very enjoyable listen!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Ariphron wrote: September 29th, 2021, 10:37 pm Here's Chapter 7 (22:58).

In two places, I rendered dashes as bleeps:
15:27 “of the year 183—"
16:27 “Since the fort saluted the Governor-General at ———"
It would probably be less distracting for the listener just to hear vague wording at these points, so I recorded a version with “eighteen thirty-something” for the former and “at that place in India” for the latter, which I could upload instead. However, added words like these would have to be cleared with the BC, I think. In Chapter 13 I read “eighteen twenty-something” where something similar appeared. Alternatively, I could express the typography directly by saying “eighteen thirty-dash” and “Governor-General at dash dash dash.”

Corrections:
19:50 “Mr Newcome slowly uttered” to “Mrs. Newcome slowly uttered”
20:48 “These and some more I have been good enough to promise me a visit to-night” to “These and some more have been good enough to promise me a visit to-night” (I’m guessing that the “I” was originally a stray piece of leading.)
So I consulted with the other admins about this, the resulting options being "dash" or "blank". I'll leave the final choice of word to you, but please change the bleeps to dash or blank, both for "183—" and "Governor-General at —", because a non-human voice sound is not allowed in the recordings (exception only for music projects).
And also thank you for being so observant and fixing gutenberg.org typos! Everything else is perfect with the recording.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Roselbex wrote: September 30th, 2021, 4:52 pm Hi, when I ask for help in the help section can I ask someone to look at the section in the book that I am reading as I have no way of producing the Greek letters. I am new here and don't know all the ways to ask for help. Thank you for your input as I would like the reading to be as accurate as possible.
In general, you may be able to copy the text in question and then paste it into the post. You can also post the link to the text, if anyone wants to see the context.

I have now recorded the passage ὁ, και ἡ ἀληθής, και τὸ ἀληθὲς. here: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/newcomes_greektext1.mp3
transliteration: o keh ee a-lee-thees, keh toh a-lee-thes
I hope it helps :)
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

I have uploaded Section 21, Ch 21 Length 27:05
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/newcomes_21_thackeray_128kb.mp3

Thank you so much for the help with the Greek. I hope I did it justice. You are all so kind and helpful here. I hope when I have more experience that I, too, can help someone. It is contagious.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you for your recording!
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

New version of Chapter 7, with the word "blank" in place of the bleeps. Length: 23:00.4

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you both!
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

I have uploaded Section 23, Ch 23 Length 41:21
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/newcomes_23_thackeray_128kb.mp3

May I claim 26,27,28 please, thank you