COMPLETE The Newcomes by William Makepeace Thackeray - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

The Newcomes , by William Makepeace Thackeray (1811 - 1863)

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-newcomes-by-william-makepeace-thackeray/
The Newcomes: Memoirs of a Most Respectable Family was written in serial form in 1854- 1855 by the author of such works as Vanity Fair, The Book Of Snobs. It tells the story of a few generations of the Newcome family: their rise to respectability, marriages, love, and the culture in which they lived. The novel teaches the reader what it was like to live in Victorian England (Summary by Stav Nisser )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7467

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in progress unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of The Newcomes . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Newcomes, by William Makepeace Thackeray. Chapter #, Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Newcomes, by William Makepeace Thackeray ."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: newcomes_##_thackeray_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. newcomes_01_thackeray_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread or pm me.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi, Stav! Let me MC this project. It's a long book! Classic Thackeray! :D
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window is in place, and you have access.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Saw just now. Wow, so sorry. Will fill in the mw asap.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Stav! We may need word counts to make sure any chapters are not too long to require splitting. It's not uncommon in big novels. So I can do the word counts, unless you have already done them?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

You can do them sure.
The chapter titles are rather long. I hope they woul enter the title filld. Would you like me to wait with that until you minish?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

If they are long, how about using just chapter 1, chapter 2, etc, for the section titles?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I have now added the word counts. There are a few longer chapters but nothing that would require splitting in my opinion.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Window is finally filled in with chapter titles. Sorry it took me so long.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Moved to Readers Wanted. This will be a long project I think, so the preparation will be just a short moment in time :)
MaddieBurns

Post by MaddieBurns »

Hi there, I'd love to get reading on this project, if you're looking for people to read still?

- Maddie :)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sure, which chapters would you like?
MaddieBurns

Post by MaddieBurns »

Great! Would it be okay to do a couple of chapters? Could I go for Chapter 77, and Chapter 20 if that's okay?

Thanks!

Maddie
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sure, have fun.
MaddieBurns

Post by MaddieBurns »

Hiya,

Here are the two chapters:

Chapter 20: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/newcomes_20_thackeray_128kb.mp3
Chapter 77: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/newcomes_77_thackeray_128kb.mp3

Chapter 20 is 22 minutes 23 seconds long & Chapter 77 is 5 minutes 56 seconds long