[COMPLETE] Ideala by Sarah Grand - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Ideala, by Sarah Grand (1854 - 1943)
This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/ideala-by-sarah-grand/
She came among us without flourish of trumpets. She just slipped into her place, almost unnoticed, but once she was settled there it seemed as if we had got something we had wanted all our lives, and we should have missed her as you would miss the thrushes in the spring, or any other sweet familiar thing. But what the secret of her charm was I cannot say. She was full of inconsistencies. She disliked ostentation, and never wore those ornamental fidgets ladies delight in, but she would take a piece of priceless lace to cover her head when she went to water her flowers. And she said rings were a mistake; if your hands were ugly they drew attention to them, if pretty they hid their beauty; yet she wore half-a-dozen worthless ones habitually for the love of those who gave them, to her. It was said that she was striking in appearance, but cold and indifferent in manner. Some, on whom she had never turned her eyes, called her repellent. But it was noticed that men who took her down to dinner, or had any other opportunity of talking to her, were never very positive in, what they said of her afterwards. She made every one, men and women alike, feel, and she did it unconsciously. Without effort, without eccentricity, without anything you could name or define, she impressed you, and she held you —or at least she held me, always—expectant. Nothing about her ever seemed to be of the present. When she talked she made you wonder what her past had been, and when she was silent you began to speculate about her future. But she did not talk much as a rule, and when she did speak it was always some subject of interest, some fact that she wanted to ascertain accurately, or some beautiful idea, that occupied her; she had absolutely no small talk for any but her most intimate friends, whom she was wont at times to amuse with an endless stock of anecdotes and quaint observations; and this made people of limited capacity hard on her. Some of these called her a cold, ambitious, unsympathetic woman; and perhaps, from their point of view, she was so. She certainly aspired to something far above them, and had nothing but scorn for the dead level of dull mediocrity from which they would not try to rise".

This is a new woman novel by the author of the Heavenly Twins, describing the restrictions forced upon 19th century women in unhappy marriages. (Summary by Stav Nisser, with the opening paragraph of the book )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6855

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Ideala. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Ideala, by Sarah Grand. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Ideala, by Sarah Grand."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ideala_##_grand_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ideala_01_grand_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread or pm me.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello, Stav! Let me MC this project!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window is ready for you to fill in!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I see that the magic window has been filled with section titles, so I moved us to Readers Wanted. Great!
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot (smile).
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Basementwall

Post by Basementwall »

Any thoughts on how to pronounce "Ideala"? I'd hope that multiple readers would land on the same decision, but I can't find a good answer online.

I'm asking a couple of Victorian lit PhD friends on Facebook to see if they can help, but I bet someone here already has a good idea, too.
DeliaSkoep

Post by DeliaSkoep »

It's pronounced with a short i in the beginning: "ih-dee-ah-luh," stress on the third syllable.
Basementwall

Post by Basementwall »

I'll take chapter 1! (The French in the Preface scares me a bit.)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Great, thanks.
WildShimmeringPath

Post by WildShimmeringPath »

Hi, I would like to take on chapters 3 4 and 5.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

WildShimmeringPath wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 10:46 am Hi, I would like to take on chapters 3 4 and 5.

Hello, welcome to Librivox. I hope you will enjoy here. Sure, 3, 4 and 5 are all yours. I see that you already submited your test recording. So please just let me know under which name you would like to be credited in the catalogue. It can be your real name, your forum name, or something else that you choose. If you have questions, just ask.
Stav.
WildShimmeringPath

Great thanks, I'll go by my forum name and let you know if I have questions. This is a good read btw.. :thumbs:
JoMarch2021

Post by JoMarch2021 »

Hi! My name is Taylor! I was involved in the production of T. Tembarom. I would love to take chapter 6-9 if that is all right with you!
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

JoMarch2021 wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 8:28 pm Hi! My name is Taylor! I was involved in the production of T. Tembarom. I would love to take chapter 6-9 if that is all right with you!

Hi Taylor, welcome to this project. 6-9 are all yours. Have fun.
Stav.
WildShimmeringPath

I hope I did this right. First time uploading here.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ideala_chapter3.mp3 05:03