[COMPLETE] A History of the Comstock Silver Lode & Mines, by Dan DeQuille - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you for your help with these!

Each of them, however, needs some minor corrections as below

Section 14
For the word "placer" a type of gold mining, you did get the short "a" sound correct, but read the "c" as a "k" sound which really changes this. The word rhymes with "passer" I heard this at the following places:
1:00 1:08 1:16 2:46

As mentioned in previous notes, I think this is worth correcting because it is so noticeable.

Then there was a problem with a name
2:36 Text: Maldanado I hear Malandando

Section 15
0:23 and following long pause with noise followed by repeat of Mining Difficulties and Inventions
2:09 Text “raises” I hear “rises” (probably not a big deal, but since you have another correction, I think this might be worthwhile doing).

Section 16
Reading is fine, but both the opening and ending silences are too long
At the beginning, no more than one second, ideally between 0.5 and 1.0
At the end about 5 seconds, so you have several seconds to trim

Please upload the corrected files with the same file name, then post the links and time here again so we can spot check.

I really appreciate your help with these. :)
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 12 revised

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/comstocksilverlode_12_dequille_128kb.mp3

I have made the requested change of pronunciation at 1.59 and also a similar one at 2.10

You say placer should have a short a like passer, but being English I would give pa...asser a long a anyway :lol:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Jim in Ohio

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

alanmapstone wrote: May 27th, 2021, 3:10 am Section 12 revised

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/comstocksilverlode_12_dequille_128kb.mp3

I have made the requested change of pronunciation at 1.59 and also a similar one at 2.10

You say placer should have a short a like passer, but being English I would give pa...asser a long a anyway :lol:
Perfect!
Thank you
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you. Good edits on 14, and 16.
But, check what you uploaded for 15 because it is not the corrected section at all. Sounds, like the recording of some corrections, but not the edited. Somehow uploaded the wrong file. Not that I've ever done that. 8-) :lol:
~ Larry
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

silverquill wrote: May 26th, 2021, 11:12 am
ToddHW wrote: May 13th, 2021, 3:23 pm Here is Section 11. Length 8:52

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/comstocksilverlode_11_dequille_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Todd
Just one note:

At 2:03 the village of Placerville is pronounced with a short "a" is in "passer"

I've visited this town and I guess grew up in the western US and this is just common so didn't think to mention it in the reading instructions.

Same thing at 3:32 "placer mines."
And 4:30 "placer minings"

I think these are worth correcting.
Fixed and uploaded for Spot PL.

Thanks, Todd
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Hi Todd,

So hopefully the third time is a charm. :D You were exactly right, what I sent was just one track: the others had been muted. :oops:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/comstocksilverlode_15_dequille_128kb.mp3 [2:18]
Jim in Ohio

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JHedrick wrote: May 28th, 2021, 10:31 am Hi Todd,

So hopefully the third time is a charm. :D You were exactly right, what I sent was just one track: the others had been muted. :oops:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/comstocksilverlode_15_dequille_128kb.mp3 [2:18]
Well, almost . . . You uploaded this to Todd's folder :wink:
Not that I have ever done that. :lol:

But, not to worry. I've fixed it and did the spot check, so it is PL OK.
Thanks for helping out with this project!
~ Larry
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Larry
Shall I read the railroad sections 53 to 55?
It seems to me that the place descriptions from Wabuska to Keeler are all places on the Carson and Colorado, so would it not be better to make all that one section.
Then Owens Lake and Mono Lake could be combined with Eureka and Palisade, leaving the two Nevada railroads as one section.
Just a suggestion but it would seem tidier, if I am doing them all anyway.
Alan
Tim811

Post by Tim811 »

silverquill wrote: May 26th, 2021, 7:06 pm
Tim811 wrote: May 17th, 2021, 8:33 am
Hi Larry,

Section 31 @ 2:43

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/comstocksilverlode_31_dequille_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Tim
Good reading, but just two things to correct.

1) The opening silence is a bit too long. Needs to be less than one second, ideally 0.5 - 1.0
2) The volume is too low at only 84.3 dB. Our goal is 89 dB with an acceptable range of 86-91 dB

Please amplify this by about 4.5 - 5.0 dB, trim the opening silence and the upload with the same file length and then post the link and file length here again so we can check it.

Thanks so much!

The section was very short so I just recorded a new one and I hope that's ok. Thanks for the feedback. Here's the new one:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/comstocksilverlode_31_dequille_128kb.mp3 [2:35]

Thanks again,

Tim
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Tim811 wrote: June 1st, 2021, 9:48 am
Tim811 wrote: May 17th, 2021, 8:33 am
Hi Larry,

Section 31 @ 2:43

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/comstocksilverlode_31_dequille_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Tim

1) The opening silence is a bit too long. Needs to be less than one second, ideally 0.5 - 1.0
2) The volume is too low at only 84.3 dB. Our goal is 89 dB with an acceptable range of 86-91 dB

Please amplify this by about 4.5 - 5.0 dB, trim the opening silence and the upload with the same file length and then post the link and file length here again so we can check it.

Thanks so much!

The section was very short so I just recorded a new one and I hope that's ok. Thanks for the feedback. Here's the new one:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/comstocksilverlode_31_dequille_128kb.mp3 [2:35]

Thanks again,

Tim
Thank you for your effort, but we strongly prefer that you NOT do a new recording in cases like this, because it means that the proof listener has to proof the entire recording again.

There were no notes about the reading itself. All you needed to do was to adjust the volume and trim the opening silence. Please keep this in mind for the future.

EDIT: I've listened to this and marked it PL OK.
Very nice reading. Feel free to do another section if you like. :wink:
~ Larry
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

alanmapstone wrote: May 30th, 2021, 12:34 pm Hi Larry
Shall I read the railroad sections 53 to 55?
It seems to me that the place descriptions from Wabuska to Keeler are all places on the Carson and Colorado, so would it not be better to make all that one section.
Then Owens Lake and Mono Lake could be combined with Eureka and Palisade, leaving the two Nevada railroads as one section.
Just a suggestion but it would seem tidier, if I am doing them all anyway.
Alan
Tim811

Post by Tim811 »

silverquill wrote: June 1st, 2021, 10:06 am
Tim811 wrote: June 1st, 2021, 9:48 am

Thanks so much!

Thanks again,

Tim
Thank you for your effort, but we strongly prefer that you NOT do a new recording in cases like this, because it means that the proof listener has to proof the entire recording again.

There were no notes about the reading itself. All you needed to do was to adjust the volume and trim the opening silence. Please keep this in mind for the future.

EDIT: I've listened to this and marked it PL OK.
Very nice reading. Feel free to do another section if you like. :wink:
I understand and my apologies to the PL. Admittedly, I'm still getting used to adjustments with Audacity's settings but I am becoming more familiar as I progress. Thanks Larry and yes, I do look forward to my next reading :)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
brucem

Post by brucem »

Hi Larry,
Use my name, Bruce McCready, for any attributions. I'll have section 40 ready for review in the next couple of days.