COMPLETE: Mauprat by George Sand -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Hello, may I read Chapter 3?
Thanks - Gini
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Theginmann wrote: April 30th, 2021, 6:56 pm Hello, may I read Chapter 3?
Thanks - Gini
Sure thing, thank you for claiming!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Scarbo wrote: April 28th, 2021, 3:30 pm
LucyK wrote: April 28th, 2021, 11:53 am Hello, can I take sections 0 and 3 please?

Lucy
Certainly, thank you for claiming!
Hello again, can I just confirm what section 3 consists of? There is the opening chapter, after the preface, entitled simply 'Mauprat' beginning 'On the borders of La Manche...' and ending '...'then he began his narrative in these words.', followed by the chapter headed 1, which begins 'You live not very far from Roche-Mauprat...' and ending 'to keep at a respectful distance the military force of the district.'

I assume section 3 is both these chapters?

Thanks in advance for clarifying!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

LucyK wrote: May 1st, 2021, 10:57 am Hello again, can I just confirm what section 3 consists of? There is the opening chapter, after the preface, entitled simply 'Mauprat' beginning 'On the borders of La Manche...' and ending '...'then he began his narrative in these words.', followed by the chapter headed 1, which begins 'You live not very far from Roche-Mauprat...' and ending 'to keep at a respectful distance the military force of the district.'

Yes, it includes both the opening chapter and chapter 1. I should have made that clearer in the MW. Thanks for checking on that!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Scarbo wrote: May 1st, 2021, 11:06 am
LucyK wrote: May 1st, 2021, 10:57 am Hello again, can I just confirm what section 3 consists of? There is the opening chapter, after the preface, entitled simply 'Mauprat' beginning 'On the borders of La Manche...' and ending '...'then he began his narrative in these words.', followed by the chapter headed 1, which begins 'You live not very far from Roche-Mauprat...' and ending 'to keep at a respectful distance the military force of the district.'

Yes, it includes both the opening chapter and chapter 1. I should have made that clearer in the MW. Thanks for checking on that!
No worries! Thanks again.
jadeleahpilling

Post by jadeleahpilling »

:help: Could anyone help me on some of the French pronunciation in this text?

Is Edmee pronounced 'ed-may' or 'ed-mee' ?

Is abbe pronounced 'ab-bay' or like 'abbey' ?

Also, I can't quite figure out the text's pronunciation (Mau-pray? Mau-prah?), I am quite rusty at knowing how to say things in French.

Any help appreciated thank you :thumbs:
✩♡∗♀✩∗ II Samuel, 18:33 ✩♡∗♀✩∗
:9: Above all, trust the silences. :9:
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

jadeleahpilling wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 5:28 am :help: Could anyone help me on some of the French pronunciation in this text?

Is Edmee pronounced 'ed-may' or 'ed-mee' ?

Is abbe pronounced 'ab-bay' or like 'abbey' ?

Also, I can't quite figure out the text's pronunciation (Mau-pray? Mau-prah?), I am quite rusty at knowing how to say things in French.

Any help appreciated thank you :thumbs:
I've been saying "Ed-may" and "ab-bay"/"ah-bay." I'm pretty sure that Mauprat is "Mo-prah," but you might want to check with a native speaker in the Pronunciation help thread since occasionally French proper nouns can have a slightly different pronunciation from what's expected.

Either way, as long as listeners can tell that a word or name refers to the same concept or character from chapter to chapter, I'm not too worried about exact pronunciation. :)

Sarah
justforfun123

Post by justforfun123 »

Can I have chapter 5?
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

justforfun123 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:56 am Can I have chapter 5?
Sure thing, thank you for claiming!

Sarah
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Hi there, so I'm reading chapter 3...I was wondering if I could ask a question...in the 4th sentence of the 5th paragraph there are two hyphens (?) and it seems like something should be said there but I'm not sure what. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Gini
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Theginmann wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:34 pm Hi there, so I'm reading chapter 3...I was wondering if I could ask a question...in the 4th sentence of the 5th paragraph there are two hyphens (?) and it seems like something should be said there but I'm not sure what. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Gini
Usually when the author leaves a location or name blank, I hear the reader say "blank." "The Carmelite's school at blank" would be fine here. Thanks for checking on that, and feel free to ask whenever you have questions!

Sarah
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Thank you for the help with my question! Here is Chapter 3 - length- 16:15.36. thanks-Gini

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/mauprat_03_sand_128kb.mp3

Scarbo wrote: May 4th, 2021, 1:42 am
Theginmann wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:34 pm Hi there, so I'm reading chapter 3...I was wondering if I could ask a question...in the 4th sentence of the 5th paragraph there are two hyphens (?) and it seems like something should be said there but I'm not sure what. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Gini
Usually when the author leaves a location or name blank, I hear the reader say "blank." "The Carmelite's school at blank" would be fine here. Thanks for checking on that, and feel free to ask whenever you have questions!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Theginmann wrote: May 4th, 2021, 1:09 pm Thank you for the help with my question! Here is Chapter 3 - length- 16:15.36. thanks-Gini

Thank you for chapter 3! It sounds great. I have just a few notes:

- At 3:35, "decrying the vain pleasures," you say "decreeing the vain pleasures."
- At 11:35, "bread had seemed to him a superfluity," you say "bread had not seemed to him a superfluity."

Sarah
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Here is the revised chapter 3 - length 16:14.39 - so sorry for the errors :(
thanks - Gini

Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Shall I continue on to Chapter 4?
Thanks - Gini