COMPLETE Sir Titus Salt, Baronet, His Life and Its Lessons-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sir Titus Salt, Baronet, His Life and Its Lessons, by Robert Balgarnie (1826 - 1899)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/sir-titus-salt-baronet-by-robert-balgarnie/
Titus Salt was a British manufacturer, politician and philanthropist, renounde for having built Salt's Mill, a large, innovative textile mill, together with the attached village of Saltaire, where he provided cleaner air, better housing, schooling, banking, churches, recreation, shorter hours and higher wages for over 4000 employees. Salt's tireless work and innovation with alpaca thread lead him to fame and fortune. He was awarded a baronetsy by the British Crown in 1869. It is estimated that over 100,000 people attended his funeral. Salt left no memoirs, but his personal friend, Rev. Balgarnie, pieced together this fascinating biography from interviews, records, news articles and speeches by or about him. One testimonial stated "Titus was perhaps the greatest captain of industry in England not only because he gathered thousands under him but also because, according to the light that was in him, he tried to care for all those thousands." Salt disbursed over £500,000 in philanthropy by the time of his death (about £65 million in 2021, or $91.5 million).

THE GREAT YORKSHIRE LLAMA, by Charles Dickens, the story referred to in Chapter 6 which elaborates how Sir Titus discovered a huge stash of alpaca wool in Liverpool, and developed it into a highly popular fabric, can be found in LV's <a href=https://librivox.org/short-nonfiction-collection-vol-082-by-various/> Short Non-Fiction Collection #82</a> (Summary by Michele Fry)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/sirtitussaltbar01balggoog/

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Each page is approximately 250-300 words, depending on text size, spacing, etc. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record, and wait until you receive the OK before you begin recording.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening: DPL for this project is Michele Fry (msfry). Level is Special: I will read along with the text and notate significant discrepancies. (Message to new readers, be sure to edit and proof your own files before submitting.) See the Guide for Proof-listeners for further information.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

INTRO to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.
Pronounciation Guide: For uniformity's sake, please pronounce Titus as Tie'-tus., and Balgarnie as Bal-gar'-nee

Say:
"Chapter # of Sir Titus Salt, Baronet, His Life and Its Lessons. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read/recorded by your name."] "Sir Titus Salt, Baronet, His Life and Its Lessons, by Robert Balgarnie. Chapter #. PLEASE OMIT THE LIST OF SUBJECTS COVERED AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH CHAPTER."
OUTRO (end of recording):
Say:
"End of Chapter #." [Optional, if not stated in the intro: "Read/recorded by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Sir Titus Salt, Baronet, His Life and Its Lessons, by Robert Balgarnie."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: Please copy and paste titussalt_##_balgarnie_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. titussalt_01_balgarnie_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread followed by the file duration (mm:ss).
Watch this thread for prooflistening notes, and try to return your corrections in timely fashion.

If you have any questions, just post in this thread, or PM someone on the team:

BC: Michele Fry (msfry)
MC: MaryAnn Spiegel (MaryAnnSpiegel)
DPL: msfry
Cover: msfry
Last edited by msfry on May 22nd, 2021, 4:27 pm, edited 16 times in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Michele,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
msfry

Post by msfry »

Gee, that was quick! Thanks MaryAnn. I've filled in the MW and preclaimed the cover, so I guess we're ready to go to Readers Wanted, books.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Chapter 20, please.
msfry

Post by msfry »

20 is yours, Kevin. Hope it's interesting for you.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Kevin. I'll be out of town overnight, so it may be a few days before I get to PL this. I do hope to upload my section 1 before I go, so maybe you could PL it for me if you have the time. It's short.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: April 20th, 2021, 12:09 pm Thanks, Kevin. I'll be out of town overnight, so it may be a few days before I get to PL this. I do hope to upload my section 1 before I go, so maybe you could PL it for me if you have the time. It's short.
Will do!
msfry

Post by msfry »

msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Chapter 20

Wow, that was a moving chapter and a fitting end for this book! Particularly so for me as I attended a big Catholic funeral yesterday. You read it well and with feeling. Thank you. Alas, I found a few errors that make sense to me to correct, but you know how picky I am. :oops:

1:47 Sir Titus Salt was dead, you say Thomas
9:45 as for the rows of almshouses, you say row (singular)
11:10 Within the edifice, you say evidence
20:33 creator of a new era, you say error.
22:11 freedom, breadth, you say breath
25:07 anything he planned or purposed, you say proposed. (Not sure this matters)
25:09 He rests amid the, I hear ressamid, a word I couldn't have ciphered without reading the text.
25:32 shines in the works of his hands. you say work (sounds more like manual labor than his ideas)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Did I forget to post my PL notes for Ch. 1?

There is a segment from 4:42 - 4:48 that needs attention.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 8:01 am PL Notes Chapter 20

Wow, that was a moving chapter and a fitting end for this book! Particularly so for me as I attended a big Catholic funeral yesterday. You read it well and with feeling. Thank you. Alas, I found a few errors that make sense to me to correct, but you know how picky I am. :oops:

1:47 Sir Titus Salt was dead, you say Thomas
9:45 as for the rows of almshouses, you say row (singular)
11:10 Within the edifice, you say evidence
20:33 creator of a new era, you say error.
22:11 freedom, breadth, you say breath
25:07 anything he planned or purposed, you say proposed. (Not sure this matters)
25:09 He rests amid the, I hear ressamid, a word I couldn't have ciphered without reading the text.
25:32 shines in the works of his hands. you say work (sounds more like manual labor than his ideas)
Got it. Will make corrections soon.

By the way, for me 'breadth' and 'breath' are homophones.
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 10:36 am By the way, for me 'breadth' and 'breath' are homophones.
With D and TH, the tongue is almost in the same place, either behind or atop the top teeth, then when you put the two together, there is a slide so they sound mighty close. But they are not really homophones in the strictest sense. It's up to you.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 11:36 am
KevinS wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 10:36 am By the way, for me 'breadth' and 'breath' are homophones.
With D and TH, the tongue is almost in the same place, either behind or atop the top teeth, then when you put the two together, there is a slide so they sound mighty close. But they are not really homophones in the strictest sense. It's up to you.
Haha! I'll do my best ... or I'll give up!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

May I please have section 12?
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison