[COMPLETE] Great Men and Famous Women Vol 2 by Charles F Horne - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Great Men and Famous Women Volume 2, by Charles F. Horne (1870 - 1942)

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/great-men-and-famous-women-vol-2-by-charles-f-horne/

A collection of writings about a variety of men and women from history who were some of the most prominent people around at the time. Marshal Turenne, Charles XII Of Sweden, John Duke Of Marlborough, Prince Eugene Of Savoy, General James Wolfe and Frederick The Great are just some of the contenders. This is volume two of eight volumes. (Summary by Michele Eaton )
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26422

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History; *Non-fiction
Keywords that describe the book: history, famous people, famous women, famous men, key figures in history, historical facts
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Great Men and Famous Women Volume 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Great Men and Famous Women Volume 2, by Charles F. Horne. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Great Men and Famous Women Volume 2, by Charles F. Horne."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: greatmenfamouswomen2_##_horne_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. greatmenfamouswomen2_01_horne_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I will also be DPL on this project.
Would it be possible to reduce the length of the filename. I didn't know whether I could change it in the first post or it needed to be done by an MC. Happy to do it if need be thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Ah, another series - always good to be part of those. :wink:
I'm happy to MC this for you. MW will come a bit later.

As for the filename - the first book had kind of a subtitle "Soldiers and Sailors", maybe this one has too? Otherwise we could do with gmfw2 ;-)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Availle wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:12 pm Ah, another series - always good to be part of those. :wink:
I'm happy to MC this for you. MW will come a bit later.

As for the filename - the first book had kind of a subtitle "Soldiers and Sailors", maybe this one has too? Otherwise we could do with gmfw2 ;-)
The other volumes later on have a subtitle but this one does not. I think we could go with gmfw2 if that's okay many thanks.
Michele
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, your MW has arrived - thou mayest proceed. :D

I checked the filename for vol. 1 and it was "greatmenfamouswomen1", so maybe we should stick with this one. I always think it's best to use something memorable as much as possible. You can always change the filename yourself in the first post, if I find it totally untenable, I can always change it en masse during cataloging.

Other than that, this looks good to go. :thumbs:
I'll send you a pm about something else "soon". :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Availle wrote: April 8th, 2021, 3:54 am Okay, your MW has arrived - thou mayest proceed. :D

I checked the filename for vol. 1 and it was "greatmenfamouswomen1", so maybe we should stick with this one. I always think it's best to use something memorable as much as possible. You can always change the filename yourself in the first post, if I find it totally untenable, I can always change it en masse during cataloging.

Other than that, this looks good to go. :thumbs:
I'll send you a pm about something else "soon". :wink:
That's great thank you happy to go with that for consistency. Ooh I am intrigued. :hmm:
Michele
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Hello! May I claim Frederick the Great (I think that's section 7)?
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi I will sign you up to that section when I have completed the MW. The content list in the text is not the order which they are in not sure why but will make sure I sign you up to the one you want. I will be doing that this weekend.
Michele
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Where are the Famous Women? This seems to be entirely about men :hmm:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
wib66

Post by wib66 »

alanmapstone wrote: April 9th, 2021, 7:54 pm Where are the Famous Women? This seems to be entirely about men :hmm:
Yes this volume is only men. There are some women in the later volumes, which I am going to work my way through, but there are not very many it is very male dominated. :D
Michele
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I see the Magic Window has arrived, time to move over to "Readers Wanted". :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Great thanks
Michele
jenno

Post by jenno »

May I claim chapters 12 and 30 please ?

Cheers

Jennifer
Ebele

Post by Ebele »

May I claim Section 29?
wib66

Post by wib66 »

jenno wrote: April 16th, 2021, 9:32 pm May I claim chapters 12 and 30 please ?

Cheers

Jennifer
Thank you I will sign you up
Michele