Now I'm envious... :lol:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Availle wrote: May 19th, 2021, 4:26 am Thank you Sara.
Now I'm envious... :lol:
You're most welcome.

Please don't be. You have done an AWESOME job with your recordings. I wouldn't have done it as well as you did. :D
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

Can I take section 16?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

HI there, sorry for the late reply... :oops:

Section 16 is all yours! Enjoy!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

Hey Guys,

Sorry about this, but I've got a lot of things to do right now, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do my section for this. Could you drop me from this project?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sure, no big deal. Thanks for letting me know! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

Hi, I'm back. Sorry I had to leave this project. (College app season is rough.) I felt really bad about leaving this project, but the apps went smoother than I thought they would (I'm pretty much done with the lot of them) and I have more free time than I thought I would. I can take back section 16 and I can do 13 as well.

Could somebody please give me a short listing of how to say the Arabic?
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

I just got section 13 recorded. Figured I'd get a head-start. I'll have it in by the end of the week. I'll do the recording for section 16 as well.

If I submit the files and they're not PL OK by the 20th I'll need to resign the post again. School starts back for me on the 23rd and I've got a heavy schedule.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Lector1 wrote: August 9th, 2021, 12:07 pm Could somebody please give me a short listing of how to say the Arabic?
Hi,

Here are some useful links for you

Arabic Dictionary Online: https://www.lexilogos.com/english/arabic_dictionary.htm
Egyptian Arabic Dictionary: https://eu.lisaanmasry.org/online/dictionary.php
For Names: https://www.pronouncenames.com/

Please let me know if you have any questions.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Lector1 wrote: August 11th, 2021, 1:39 pm I just got section 13 recorded. Figured I'd get a head-start. I'll have it in by the end of the week. I'll do the recording for section 16 as well.

If I submit the files and they're not PL OK by the 20th I'll need to resign the post again. School starts back for me on the 23rd and I've got a heavy schedule.
I'll do my best to PL them right away or before the 20th.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Sara!
Lector1 wrote: August 11th, 2021, 1:39 pm I just got section 13 recorded. Figured I'd get a head-start. I'll have it in by the end of the week. I'll do the recording for section 16 as well.

Welcome back!

In the future, please do wait until I get back to you about your claims. I know there's not much going on in this project, but it's good to get in the right habits. :)

Since you're on such a tight schedule, I would suggest you focus on section 13 for now and wait until you get your PL OK before you claim any more of this project (why not go on with the same chapter, btw?) This way you can make sure that you have at least one fully completed section in the catalog.

In general, we are all volunteers here, you, me, the DPL... While you can obviously control your own schedule, let's not impose your deadlines on others, okay? It seems that in this project, the pronunciation of the Arabic terms is a bit tricky, so it may be a bit much to hope for a straight PL OK. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

*rubs head and smiles sheepishly* Sorry. My bad. I wasn't trying to impose a deadline on anyone. I was just giving a heads-up that I may need to be taken off the project again.
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you very much! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey, Lector1!

First, I'd like to thank you for recording a section about Cairo. You did well. :clap:

I have a few PL notes.

@20:30 - "When he" is repeated.

@22:11 - Motor sound. Could you please re-record that part?

The following are extra since you'll be editing the above. I thought of mentioning those at the same time. :D

If you use Audacity, please go to View > Show Clipping (on/off) when you click on it. You will find red marks. This affects the audio quality when they appear.

What I usually do, I select the whole track then use the compressor effect. It evens out the volume level of the recording. After that, I use a plugin called Replay Gain to get the LibriVox's volume.

Here are some tutorial's from Phil on how to apply those effects
https://youtu.be/-fKYYj6HMZU
https://youtu.be/b9Uz900RNos

One last thing, have you done noise-reduction to the recording? I see that the background noise peaks at -36 at the end of silence.

Again, you did a good job with the recording. And I look forward to your next section. :thumbs: