[COMPLETE] The Story of Cairo by Stanley Lane-Poole - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

Final push...

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcairo_13_lanepoole_128kb.mp3 (24:04)

Apparently my mic actually is working. Weird. I'll have to get this looked at but it was picking up my sound, just very barely. I had to hold the mic right up to my mouth (to the side though, to avoid plosives) and even then the mic barely picked it up. *sigh* I've really got to get some better equipment. My computer always fails me.
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

SaraHale wrote: August 19th, 2021, 11:08 am
Lector1 wrote: August 17th, 2021, 2:09 pm Here's my new version, now at 24:03

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcairo_13_lanepoole_128kb.mp3

I wasn't able to re-record to get the motor sound out. For some reason Audacity is now refusing to allow my mic to record. I was able to get the noise profile and do a noise reduction on the bad audio. That got it out and I think I can only vaguely hear it when my speakers are at full blast.
Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with work. It's so much better now. But @22:11 needs to be re-recorded. Yes, the motor sound is gone but it affected the clarity of the sentence. So, could you please record that part?

Thanks! :9:
Sorry, forgot to quote you.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Lector1 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 9:48 am Final push...

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcairo_13_lanepoole_128kb.mp3 (24:04)

Apparently my mic actually is working. Weird. I'll have to get this looked at but it was picking up my sound, just very barely. I had to hold the mic right up to my mouth (to the side though, to avoid plosives) and even then the mic barely picked it up. *sigh* I've really got to get some better equipment. My computer always fails me.
Thank you!! It's PL OK :clap: I hope you'll be able to get the equipment that you need to continue volunteering.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
mr35diamonds

Post by mr35diamonds »

Hi, can I take section 16 please? :D
~Justin
“The summer night was starless and stirless, with distant spasms of silent lightning.” ~ Nabokov , Pale Fire

My Goodreads

Writing blog
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Justin and welcome to this project! Section 16 is yours, enjoy!

You've probably seen our pronunciation guides already, also our DPL is from Cairo, so she can help if you can't find something.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
JBev

Post by JBev »

Hello Availle,

May I record these two? --

3 Chapter II The Town of the Tent Part 1 2600 words until "...and close relations were thus maintained with the caliph." Open

4 Chapter II The Town of the Tent Part 2 4200 words from "The Town of the Tent owes its name to a pretty legend..." Open

:D
JBev
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

All yours - have fun! :D

Pronunciation guides are in the first post if you need them!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
zainabsk

Post by zainabsk »

Hi everyone!
I am Zainab from Pakistan and would love to narrate Chapter 5 Cairo part 1. Although it will be my first recording but I'll try my best.
Hoping to join.
Thanks in advance.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome to LV and to this project!

You're very welcome to help out here, but please do your test first - we're testing your equipment, not your reading, so don't worry. Make sure to address any issues so it gets an [OK] before you start recording "for real".

Your welcome mail and our LibriVox Wiki have all the details on the test. I can't check tests myself, so please post it over in "Listeners and Editors Wanted" where somebody will check it for you.

Once you get your test [OK]ed, please come back to me, and I'll assign the section to you.

Have fun on here! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
BTDominguez

Post by BTDominguez »

Good morning,

I would like to sign up for Sections 5 and 6, Chapter 3, The Faubourgs......

Have a wonderful day,

Bonita
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

All yours, thank you Bonita!

There's a pronunciation guide in the first post if you need it - I certainly did, there's so much Arabic... :)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
JBev

Post by JBev »

Availle wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 5:56 pm All yours - have fun! :D

Pronunciation guides are in the first post if you need them!
Whew! I think I came in just under one or two days from deadline (hardware glitches and a week of rainstorms just after I had someone listen to help me with excessive "quotes/endquotes" to lighten them up a little bit...)

For proofing, here are links to:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcairo_03_lanepoole_128kb.mp3 17:47

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcairo_04_lanepoole_128kb.mp3 26:59

Regards from JBev :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

My goodness - there's always the possibility of asking for an extension, you know. :D

Thank you for making it within the deadline though! Sara, our DPL, will be with you in no time either. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
nesmam

Post by nesmam »

Hi my is Nesma :D ,

I would like to participate in this project it seems very interesting. I'd love to record Chapter 5 Parts 1, 2 and 3. I see that they are still open. I thought it would be fitting since I'm actually half-Egyptian and currently live in Cairo :) . So if they're still available I'd be happy to join this project.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Nesma, welcome to LV and to this project!

Yes, it sounds like a great fit indeed! :thumbs:

However, before I sign you up and you start recording "for real", please do your 1-minute-test. It's not an audition for you, but a test of your equipment so we can make sure everything is at its best behaviour.

Your welcome mail has more details about the test, please post it over in "Listeners and Editors Wanted" for somebody to have a listen. When you got your OK on your test, please come back and let me know, so I can sign you up for these sections.

Have fun on here! 8-)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com