COMPLETE [MEDICINE/ART/MINERALS]Natural History, Volume 7, by Pliny the Elder - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Lector1 wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 8:04 am Hey guys!

I just finished my recording. I haven't edited the mistakes out yet, but I do have something I'd like to ask you to do. I've had endless problems with this weird, high-pitched background noise in my recordings, and I think I've finally figured out how to solve the issues. I would like you to just click through a few bits of my recording and see if you can hear the background noise, and if the audio quality is good (whenever I try to get rid of the background noise the audio always loses quality). It sounds fine to me, but I want a second opinion.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/naturalhistoryvolume7_05_128kb.mp3
Seconding the suggestion that you post in the Need Help forum... a lot more tech savvy people there!
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Leni
=================
kgsaturn

Post by kgsaturn »

OK Leni,

Here's my recording (my very first, none the less!) What a selection to take the plunge with!

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/The_Natural_History_Pliny_the_Elder_Sec_4_Book_31,_Ch43_47.mp3

I did my best with pronunciation, and tried to look up the correct way to say any unfamiliar words or names...

Also, I seem to have gotten a strange over compression effect every couple minutes or so. I'm not sure why. It seems to be present even in the raw recordings, so maybe it was an effect from my microphone? I recorded in a deadened music practice room, so I don't think it was room effects. My microphone does have built in noise reduction, and I understand that's not ideal, but I was assured when I did my one minute test that it would suffice for this project. I've ordered a better microphone to use for VO/narration, so my future recordings should be better (or at least have different problems. :D )

I'm open to feedback and/or tips, and if this section is good to go, I'll happily take on another section.

Keith
Why did the Chicken Cross the Road?

To avoid that turkey that wouldn't social distance!
laroccj5

Post by laroccj5 »

Can I do sections 6, 7 and 9?
kgsaturn

Post by kgsaturn »

I'm up for recording Section 12.
Why did the Chicken Cross the Road?

To avoid that turkey that wouldn't social distance!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

kgsaturn wrote: July 5th, 2021, 5:14 am OK Leni,

Here's my recording (my very first, none the less!) What a selection to take the plunge with!

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/The_Natural_History_Pliny_the_Elder_Sec_4_Book_31,_Ch43_47.mp3

I did my best with pronunciation, and tried to look up the correct way to say any unfamiliar words or names...

Also, I seem to have gotten a strange over compression effect every couple minutes or so. I'm not sure why. It seems to be present even in the raw recordings, so maybe it was an effect from my microphone? I recorded in a deadened music practice room, so I don't think it was room effects. My microphone does have built in noise reduction, and I understand that's not ideal, but I was assured when I did my one minute test that it would suffice for this project. I've ordered a better microphone to use for VO/narration, so my future recordings should be better (or at least have different problems. :D )

I'm open to feedback and/or tips, and if this section is good to go, I'll happily take on another section.

Keith
Thanks, Keith! Let's wait for our DPLer to give you some more feedback, but please observe the formatting for the files as describe din the first post of every project. For this one, it should be "naturalhistoryvolume7_04_128kb". Also, please let us know the length of your recording when you post the link.

I am assigning you section 12, thanks for claiming! :D
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

laroccj5 wrote: July 5th, 2021, 7:08 am Can I do sections 6, 7 and 9?
Hello, and welcome to Librivox. I am assigning you the sections, but please, before attempting then, we strongly suggest you try the 1-minute test, so we can make sure you will have the right technical specs. It is explained here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Thanks!
Leni
=================
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

I just read the posts about the background noise. *sigh* It seems I'll never get rid of this problem entirely. I tried increasing the sensitivity and the noise reduction. I'll see if that works. I'm working on editing the mistakes out right now. The recording's about 28 minutes long before edits, so I should have it in sometime tomorrow.
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

P.S. ...I'm not sure how to pronounce the word "echeneis." In the book it's spelled with ï but I'm not sure if I should pronounce it with the "ee" sound as in "naive."
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Lector1 wrote: July 7th, 2021, 1:34 pm I just read the posts about the background noise. *sigh* It seems I'll never get rid of this problem entirely. I tried increasing the sensitivity and the noise reduction. I'll see if that works. I'm working on editing the mistakes out right now. The recording's about 28 minutes long before edits, so I should have it in sometime tomorrow.
Well, a small amount of background noise is no problem, really.

And about the word: https://howjsay.com/search?word=echeneis&wid=1024&flash=y

I use howjsay.com often :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Leni, Would you give a quick listen to part of Section 34 to see if my incorporation of some parts of footnotes work for you? I would like to carry on but if you decide you dont want any of the footnotes based on that quick listen I will not put in the work to create them. Thank you!
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

Correction to what I said earlier: I should be done with my recording on Monday. I mispronounced "echeneis" throughout the entire first chapter and I need to go re-record.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

brownrottger wrote: July 9th, 2021, 10:00 am Hi Leni, Would you give a quick listen to part of Section 34 to see if my incorporation of some parts of footnotes work for you? I would like to carry on but if you decide you dont want any of the footnotes based on that quick listen I will not put in the work to create them. Thank you!
Sure! I just listened up to the first note you inserted (footnote 2), and I think it sounds great.
Leni
=================
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Leni wrote: July 9th, 2021, 6:00 pm
brownrottger wrote: July 9th, 2021, 10:00 am Hi Leni, Would you give a quick listen to part of Section 34 to see if my incorporation of some parts of footnotes work for you? I would like to carry on but if you decide you dont want any of the footnotes based on that quick listen I will not put in the work to create them. Thank you!
Sure! I just listened up to the first note you inserted (footnote 2), and I think it sounds great.
Ok I will be working on the next section soon!
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

May I please have the next 5 open sections?
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM