COMPLETE [MEDICINE/ART/MINERALS]Natural History, Volume 7, by Pliny the Elder - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-7-by-pliny-the-elder/

Volume 1 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-1-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 2 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-2-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 3 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-3-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 4 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-4-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 5 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-5-by-pliny-the-elder/
Volume 6 is cataloged: https://librivox.org/the-natural-history-volume-6-by-pliny-the-elder/

The Natural History, volume 7 by Pliny the Elder (AD 23 - August 25, 79) . Translated by John Bostock and Henry Thomas Riley (1773-1846, 1816-1878).
Naturalis Historia (Latin for "Natural History") is an encyclopedia published circa AD 77-79 by Pliny the Elder. It is one of the largest single works to have survived from the Roman empire to the modern day and purports to cover the entire field of ancient knowledge, based on the best authorities available to Pliny. The work became a model for all later encyclopedias in terms of the breadth of subject matter examined, the need to reference original authors, and a comprehensive index list of the contents. The scheme of his great work is vast and comprehensive, being nothing short of an encyclopedia of learning and of art so far as they are connected with nature or draw their materials from nature. The work divides neatly into the organic world of plants and animals, and the realm of inorganic matter, although there are frequent digressions in each section. He is especially interested in not just describing the occurrence of plants, animals and insects, but also their exploitation (or abuse) by man, especially Romans. The description of metals and minerals is particularly detailed, and valuable for the history of science as being the most extensive compilation still available from the ancient world.

This seventh and last volume includes books thirty one to thirty seven, covering the following subjects:

Book 31 - The remedies derived from the aquatic productions
Book 32 - Remedies derived from the aquatic animals
Books 33 and 34 - The natural history of metals
Book 35 - An account of paintings and colours
Book 36 - The natural history of stones
Book 37 - The natural history of precious stones
(Summary by Leni)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (but there are links to the specific chapters in the MW below!): https://archive.org/details/naturalhistoryof05plinrich/page/n21/mode/2up
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Please, do not read the number of paragraphs or footnotes, but do read the titles of chapters and the summary and authors quoted at the end of the book! Thanks! :)

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Natural History, volume 7. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Natural History, volume 7, by Pliny the Elder . Translated by John Bostock and Henry Thomas Riley. Section [number] Book [number], Chapters [number] to [number]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Natural History, volume 7, by Pliny the Elder . Translated by John Bostock and Henry Thomas Riley "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    naturalhistoryvolume7_##_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. naturalhistoryvolume7_01_128kb.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    Please ignore tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Looking for a DPLer [and readers of course :mrgreen: ]
Leni
=================
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I would like to DPL on this please thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Awesome, thanks!
Leni
=================
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, let me go ahead and sign up for Section 8, if I may.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Section assigned!
Leni
=================
StillzJam42

Post by StillzJam42 »

I'd like to read section 16.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

StillzJam42 wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 10:34 am I'd like to read section 16.
Hello, and welcome to LibriVox. Thanks for claiming, I will assign you the section, but we suggest that, before you start, you try the 1-minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Thank you very much!
Leni
=================
niobium

Post by niobium »

can i claim section 22?
PawnOfPazuzu

Post by PawnOfPazuzu »

Hi Leni,

Thank you for offering such an abundance of Pliny the Elder! I enjoyed reading my section for Volume 6 so much that I would like to give reading an entire book a go!

I have a lot more time at the moment so would like to claim Book 36, Sections 28 through to 33.

I think that it might feel quite nicely rounded to do a reading that way. I want to test myself and see if I can do it!

If I falter at recording and editing this hefty chunk rapidly enough, then I will of course drop some sections.

Hope that this is not too greedy! I just really want to get much more practiced at this, along with getting into a proper routine of audio work and I do adore Pliny!

Although my pseudonym on here is PawnOfPazuzu I am happy to go by my real name in the LibriVox catalogue, EJ How.

All the Best,
Emma
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

niobium wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 9:14 pm can i claim section 22?
Sure, section assigned, thanks!
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

PawnOfPazuzu wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 11:28 pm Hi Leni,

Thank you for offering such an abundance of Pliny the Elder! I enjoyed reading my section for Volume 6 so much that I would like to give reading an entire book a go!

I have a lot more time at the moment so would like to claim Book 36, Sections 28 through to 33.

I think that it might feel quite nicely rounded to do a reading that way. I want to test myself and see if I can do it!

If I falter at recording and editing this hefty chunk rapidly enough, then I will of course drop some sections.

Hope that this is not too greedy! I just really want to get much more practiced at this, along with getting into a proper routine of audio work and I do adore Pliny!

Although my pseudonym on here is PawnOfPazuzu I am happy to go by my real name in the LibriVox catalogue, EJ How.

All the Best,
Emma
Yay for Pliny the Elder! :D Sure, no problem! I will assign you the sections, and if you feel that it is more than you can chew, just let me know, not a problem. :D And I will change your name in the catalog, so it will be like that for all your readings from now on.
Leni
=================
aaky

Post by aaky »

May I claim sections 19, 20, and 21?
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

aaky wrote: April 26th, 2021, 6:17 pm May I claim sections 19, 20, and 21?
Hello, and welcome to LibriVox. Thanks for claiming, I will assign you the sections, but we suggest that, before you start, you try the 1-minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Thank you very much!
Leni
=================
ramja

Post by ramja »

Hi, I would like to do section 11, if I may (it's my first real recording, so I thought it might be good to start with a shorter chapter :) )
I'd like to go by Marja in the catalogue please.