[COMPLETE] The Cambridge Modern History. Volume 03, The Wars of Religion-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Genosse66 wrote: April 5th, 2021, 3:15 pm Hi, I would like to claim section 59 and 60 thanks.
Hello, and thanks for volunteering! The two section are yours. :)

Since this looks like the first time you'll be assigned a section, let me know under what name (real or nickname) you would like to be credited in the catalog. We can also include a link to your personal website or blog, if you have one.

Michael
Genosse66

Post by Genosse66 »

Hey Michael,

this is indeed my first foray into narration. I’ll see how I get on with the technical aspects, such as editing and cleaning up the audio. My name is Niall Martin, that is the name I would wish to included in the catalogue. Looking forward to getting started.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Genosse66 wrote: April 5th, 2021, 3:52 pm Hey Michael,

this is indeed my first foray into narration. I’ll see how I get on with the technical aspects, such as editing and cleaning up the audio. My name is Niall Martin, that is the name I would wish to included in the catalogue. Looking forward to getting started.
If you need help with the technical aspects, feel free to ask in our Need Help? forum. Here's your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/16049

Your catalog name should be updated within a couple of days.

Michael
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Moving us to Readers Wanted!
Leni
=================
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thanks, Leni. I've posted to Listeners & Editors Wanted. I'll step in to PL until we have a volunteer.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Piotrek81 wrote: April 5th, 2021, 4:11 am https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_09_various_128kb.mp3 35:46

Some of the parts of this one are definitely not meant to be read aloud :shock: (esp. some seriously long embedded sentences).
Well, it definitely sounds well suited for listening, and I'll attribute that your skill as reader. PL OK!

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Section 1 is ready for PL. We can leave my sections to PL volunteers that come along.

Michael
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I listened to section 1 and found it PL OK :thumbs:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Piotrek81 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:32 am I listened to section 1 and found it PL OK :thumbs:
Thank you, Piotrek!

Michael
Genosse66

Post by Genosse66 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_59_various_128kb.mp3

Hi Leni, the length is 32.37. Hope this does the trick. Let me know what you think.
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

Hello everybody! 👐

Can I PL sec 59 pls?
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Genosse66 wrote: April 10th, 2021, 5:42 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_59_various_128kb.mp3

Hi Leni, the length is 32.37. Hope this does the trick. Let me know what you think.
HandmadePSK wrote: April 10th, 2021, 7:12 pm Hello everybody! 👐

Can I PL sec 59 pls?

Thank you, Niall, for the reading, and thank you, Alexander, for volunteering to PL it! :)

Michael
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

Section 59 PL notes:

No more than 1 sec of silence at the beginning is needed (it`s about 5.8 sec now);
01:35 - But of those larger influences which were transforming the face of Europe politically, intellectually, and morally, Ireland knew nothing. ***The wave of the Renaissance expended its force without touching her shores.*** Vast woods and impenetrable thickets – the whole phrase (which is in asterisks) is lost;
02:00 – there is a repeated passage
The wave of the Renaissance expended its force without touching her shores. Vast woods and impenetrable thickets—the lair of the wild boar and the wolf—interspersed with pathless bogs, covered the island, rendering communication with the interior dangerous and difiicult, and preventing that political development which trade and intercourse with other nations can alone promote.
; it seems to be a problem of post-recording-works;
04:09 – smth wrong with the sound, a little odd noise, which interferes with comprehension and should be corrected;
12:50 – there's a sudden increase of volume; Kazbek, pls, give an advice how to overcome it;
32:25 - end of section 59 – I hear – end of section one.

Thank you all! Stay safe!
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

HandmadePSK wrote: April 11th, 2021, 6:52 pm Section 59 PL notes:

12:50 – there's a sudden increase of volume; Kazbek, pls, give an advice how to overcome it;
Thank you, Alexander. Yes, the volume jumps too much for comfort. One could select the portion of the sound wave that is louder than the rest and use the Amplify effect with a negative factor, but I would recommend a different method in this case.

Niall, your recording has a wide dynamic range. This can give a reading a nice vivid character, but also makes it difficult to find a volume setting where no sounds are either too soft or too loud. This issue can be easily addressed using dynamic range compression, which I often use myself. Here is how to do it in Audacity:

Select the whole track, go to Effects->Compressor, and use the following settings:
- lower the Threshold sliding bar to -20 dB
- check the box "Compress based on peaks"
- uncheck the box "Make up for gain..."
- keep defaults for the other settings.

This eliminates large jumps in volume, yielding more even dynamics. Audacity will remember these compressor settings for future tracks. After that, with the entire track still selected, please use the Amplify effect with -4 in the Amplification box to reduce the volume by 4 dB.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Michael
Genosse66

Post by Genosse66 »

Thanks all, will endeavour to address all issues asap :clap: