[COMPLETE] The Cambridge Modern History. Volume 03, The Wars of Religion-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bhelensears

Post by bhelensears »

Hi. I would like to claim sections 52 and 53. Thanks.
TadDavis

Post by TadDavis »

I re-uploaded Section 25 with some corrections to the pronunciations. I hope this wasn't jumping the gun.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_25_various_128kb.mp3

Length: 37m 22s

Passages re-recorded (I erred on the side of recording more rather than less text to minimize the “pasted-in” sound of the corrections):

At 3:16: Among those who toiled with the greatest zeal on his behalf were Sainte Aldegonde and Wesembeke, not only by their personal intercourse with others, as they moved about from place to place, but by their prolific pens, and by a skilled literary power, especially notable in Sainte Aldegonde. Two publications of this date had a great effect in stirring up the popular feeling in William's favour. The one was the famous war-song of the revolt, the Wilhelmus vam Nassouwen, still the national hymn of the Netherlands, the authorship of which is almost universally assigned to Sainte Aldegonde.

At 7:47: " Quel coup de massue cela nous ait esté" he wrote to his brother; "my sole hope was from the side of France." A bold dash southwards might still have saved Mons, but Orange turned to the north, where for a while he seemed successful. Archiepiscopal Malines was surrendered to him ; and shortly afterwards Termonde and Oudenarde shared the same fate.

At 10:55: From henceforth William, though in name a Provençal Prince and a German Count, became a Netherlander pure and simple, and absolutely identified himself with the interests and fortunes of the people, to whom he was already bound by so many ties.

At 11:51: Sainte Aldegonde, as the Prince's representative, addressed them in a long and eloquent speech, with the result that William was by a unanimous vote recognised as lawful Stadholder.

At 12:41: At the beginning of the year 1572 Alva had fallen considerably in his master's esteem ; and the Duke of Medina Coeli had been sent from Spain to enquire into his conduct of affairs, and no doubt finally to supersede him, as Alva had himself superseded the Duchess of Parma. But Medina Coeli, after narrowly escaping capture by the Sea-Beggars, found that the dangers of invasion, which threatened the provinces from so many quarters, demanded the strong hand of a military chief rather than of an administrator; and Alva retained his governorship.

Any additional corrections or improvements suggested will be promptly attended to.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

bhelensears wrote: May 29th, 2021, 8:39 am Hi. I would like to claim sections 52 and 53. Thanks.
Great, thanks!

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: May 29th, 2021, 9:11 am I re-uploaded Section 25 with some corrections to the pronunciations. I hope this wasn't jumping the gun.
Thank you, Tad! Normally, we ask readers not to make changes in submitted sections until they've been PLed, but since you changed only a handful of places and provided timestamps, that shouldn't complicate the work of our PL. :)

Michael
Genosse66

Post by Genosse66 »

Hi Michael,

I applied the noise reduction changes to section 61;

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_61_various_128kb.mp3

As a newcomer, could I ask if the hum from my (rather old) computer be affecting the noise level? I record early in the morning, when the house is quiet. There are no other immediate sources of noise.

Regards
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Genosse66 wrote: May 29th, 2021, 11:57 pm Hi Michael,

I applied the noise reduction changes to section 61;
Thanks, Niall! It's now PL OK. Yes, an active computer fan would be expected to produce a hissing or buzzing kind of noise. I haven't heard the crackling noise before, but it's possible. If you can't easily eliminate this noise, Audacity's noise reduction will do the job. Just be sure that the segment you use for the noise profile includes all the types of background noises heard in the recording and doesn't include any breath sounds (which would make your breaths sound weird in the recording). I keep several sound samples for various noises I have around the house that I recorded while holding my breath, and I apply whichever of them are appropriate for a given recording.

Michael
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Philip II part 3
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_51_various_128kb.mp3

28:57.98

While I'm here, I'd better lay claim to the conclusion of Spain's story for now, with Phil 3.
May I claim Sections 54 and 55,
Spain under Philip III - parts 1 and 2?
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Owlivia wrote: May 30th, 2021, 1:59 pm Philip II part 3

While I'm here, I'd better lay claim to the conclusion of Spain's story for now, with Phil 3.
Great. Thank you, Owlivia! Good thing we have enough Philips to go around. :)

Michael
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Kazbek wrote: May 30th, 2021, 2:03 pm
Owlivia wrote: May 30th, 2021, 1:59 pm Philip II part 3

Great. Thank you, Owlivia! Good thing we have enough Philips to go around. :)

Michael
Well, really couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor old gentleman; nothing seemed to go well for him.
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Jman2021

Post by Jman2021 »

Michael,

Just checking in on Section 33. I'm a bit behind, having taken 2 weeks in the outer banks of NC, then my 2nd Covid vaccination. Anticipate I should have it ready for review by June 14, if not before. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Take care,

John
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Jman2021 wrote: May 31st, 2021, 3:56 pm Michael,

Just checking in on Section 33. I'm a bit behind, having taken 2 weeks in the outer banks of NC, then my 2nd Covid vaccination. Anticipate I should have it ready for review by June 14, if not before. Just wanted to give you a heads up.
Thanks for the update! You still have a month to go before the 2-month deadline. If you need an extension beyond that point, just let me know.

Michael
UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W »

PL note:

I listened to this new edition of 47:19 recording. It is PL OK. Many thanks for your contribution!

Regards,
Jessie
TheVagabond wrote: May 26th, 2021, 11:38 am Section 40 ready for PL. Length 47:19

I also re-recorded the first sentence because of the unmistakable sound of our food mixer which I hadn't noticed earlier. I didn't think Cosimo would approve.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_40_various_128kb.mp3

Tom
UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W »

PL note:

I listened to this 37:22 recording and read all the educative discussions contributed by Tad, Michael, and Owlivia. Again, the French sentence is pointed by Tad, the dedicated reader if someone or Michael may please listen again. I will mark it as PL OK once all the feedback and discussion are done on this piece of recording.

7:47: " Quel coup de massue cela nous ait esté"

Again, thank you, Tad, for all the seamless connections of the newly inserted portions, and many thanks for kindly including all the timestamps in your post.

Many thanks again, for each of your talents and efforts! I am grateful to PL for such awesome readers.

Regards,
Jessie
TadDavis wrote: May 29th, 2021, 9:11 am I re-uploaded Section 25 with some corrections to the pronunciations. I hope this wasn't jumping the gun.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory3_25_various_128kb.mp3

Length: 37m 22s

Passages re-recorded (I erred on the side of recording more rather than less text to minimize the “pasted-in” sound of the corrections):

At 3:16: Among those who toiled with the greatest zeal on his behalf were Sainte Aldegonde and Wesembeke, not only by their personal intercourse with others, as they moved about from place to place, but by their prolific pens, and by a skilled literary power, especially notable in Sainte Aldegonde. Two publications of this date had a great effect in stirring up the popular feeling in William's favour. The one was the famous war-song of the revolt, the Wilhelmus vam Nassouwen, still the national hymn of the Netherlands, the authorship of which is almost universally assigned to Sainte Aldegonde.

At 7:47: " Quel coup de massue cela nous ait esté" he wrote to his brother; "my sole hope was from the side of France." A bold dash southwards might still have saved Mons, but Orange turned to the north, where for a while he seemed successful. Archiepiscopal Malines was surrendered to him ; and shortly afterwards Termonde and Oudenarde shared the same fate.

At 10:55: From henceforth William, though in name a Provençal Prince and a German Count, became a Netherlander pure and simple, and absolutely identified himself with the interests and fortunes of the people, to whom he was already bound by so many ties.

At 11:51: Sainte Aldegonde, as the Prince's representative, addressed them in a long and eloquent speech, with the result that William was by a unanimous vote recognised as lawful Stadholder.

At 12:41: At the beginning of the year 1572 Alva had fallen considerably in his master's esteem ; and the Duke of Medina Coeli had been sent from Spain to enquire into his conduct of affairs, and no doubt finally to supersede him, as Alva had himself superseded the Duchess of Parma. But Medina Coeli, after narrowly escaping capture by the Sea-Beggars, found that the dangers of invasion, which threatened the provinces from so many quarters, demanded the strong hand of a military chief rather than of an administrator; and Alva retained his governorship.

Any additional corrections or improvements suggested will be promptly attended to.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: May 29th, 2021, 9:11 am I re-uploaded Section 25 with some corrections to the pronunciations.
UPRG11W wrote: May 31st, 2021, 10:30 pm PL note:

I listened to this 37:22 recording and read all the educative discussions contributed by Tad, Michael, and Owlivia. Again, the French sentence is pointed by Tad, the dedicated reader if someone or Michael may please listen again. I will mark it as PL OK once all the feedback and discussion are done on this piece of recording.

7:47: " Quel coup de massue cela nous ait esté"
Now perfectly understandable. Thanks!

Michael
elizabeth20

Post by elizabeth20 »

Hello,

I would like to do sections 63 & 64 if that's alright.