(Complete) When the World Shook, by H. Rider Haggard - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

When the World Shook, by H. Rider Haggard (1856 - 1925)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/when-the-world-shook-by-h-rider-haggard

A fictional memoir of Humphrey Arbuthnot of Devonshire, we are taken on a voyage to the island of Orofena, in the South Seas, together with Bickley, the servant Bastin and the spaniel Tommy. It is a land of adventure and danger, the result of which eventually leads to the author's death. (Summary by Lynne Thompson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/1368

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Rider_Haggard (H. Rider Haggard)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 28
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1918
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of When the World Shook. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "When the World Shook, by H. Rider Haggard. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of When the World Shook, by H. Rider Haggard."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: whentheworldshook_##_haggard_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. whentheworldshook_01_haggard_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read Section 1?

Thanks, Todd
JWowsers

Post by JWowsers »

Hello, again, Lynnet! I hope you are doing well! :D I completely understand if Todd lays claim to Chapter 1, but I would be willing to read the rest of the book. I would like to practice with reading long texts, and I am willing to do this book solo, if that is possible.

I am flexible, and please do keep me in the loop! As always, thank you for the opportunity.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ToddHW wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 4:17 pm May I read Section 1?

Thanks, Todd
All yours.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

JWowsers wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:25 pm Hello, again, Lynnet! I hope you are doing well! :D I completely understand if Todd lays claim to Chapter 1, but I would be willing to read the rest of the book. I would like to practice with reading long texts, and I am willing to do this book solo, if that is possible.

I am flexible, and please do keep me in the loop! As always, thank you for the opportunity.
How about I assign 5 sections and you can claim more later?
JWowsers

Post by JWowsers »

Dear Lynnet,

That is a great idea! Sorry for getting ahead of myself (again!), and I will take any five sections that you assign. I have no preference, and Happy Easter! Thank you for all that you do. :D
JWowsers

Post by JWowsers »

Dear Lynnet,

I hope your week is going well, and I have finished Chapter 2. I want to thank you for encouraging me to take five sections to start with because it is taking more time to read a chapter than I anticipated. Your wisdom is so appreciated! :D

Here is the link to CHAPTER 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/whentheworldshook_02_haggard_128kb.mp3 (21:30)
AdriPrev

Post by AdriPrev »

Hi,
I'm interested in DPLing this - may I?
Adrienne "Adri" Prevost (she/her)
oneofone56

Post by oneofone56 »

I would like to do section 9: Island in the lake
AdriPrev

Post by AdriPrev »

PL notes for chapter 2 (edited per Lynnet's feedback):
2:31-ish - between "deference" and "which" I can hear a breath that got cut off to silence in editing. If it's relatively straightforward for you to replace this with room noise (not generated silence, ha), that'd be great, and if not it's not a big deal.
2:48 - "word" sounds like "world"
3:52 - clicking-type sound over the word "them"
Optional: stumbles at 3:55 (over "a"), 7:12 (over "further"), and 10:04 (over "for")
11:38 - I'm getting a bit of background noise here - if you could re-record "It was a long while... considered suitable to the position" that'd be excellent.
16:30 - "than as an unmarried man" sounds strange
17:13 - longer-than-usual pause between "me to his" and "any more" - this should be an easy fix. If not, don't worry about it.
Finally, make sure there are 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file.
Don't let my first-time-PLing notes fool you, though - I enjoy your reading style; you do the sarcasm really well, and this section made me laugh more than once.
Last edited by AdriPrev on April 7th, 2021, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

JWowsers wrote: April 6th, 2021, 12:27 pm Dear Lynnet,

I hope your week is going well, and I have finished Chapter 2. I want to thank you for encouraging me to take five sections to start with because it is taking more time to read a chapter than I anticipated. Your wisdom is so appreciated! :D

Here is the link to CHAPTER 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/whentheworldshook_02_haggard_128kb.mp3 (21:30)
Thank you.
It is often a shock to realize how much work is involved.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

AdriPrev wrote: April 6th, 2021, 12:53 pm Hi,
Certainly. Please be sure to read the prooflistening guide.
I will give directions for access to the MW in another post.

I see you have already started :thumbs:
A couple of notes:
Breathing noises are ok... we’ve had listeners say they like to know readers are real people. Of course, if it’s disturbing, heavy breathing, these comments don’t apply :lol:
Mouse clicks are ok, unless they are excessive.
It is not a good idea to get audacity to generate silence. If additional silence is really needed, it’s best to copy ambient room noise from another part of the file. To use real silence sounds awful in most files.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

oneofone56 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 1:06 pm I would like to do section 9: Island in the lake
Thank you for claiming
AdriPrev

Post by AdriPrev »

Lynnet wrote: April 6th, 2021, 3:13 pm
AdriPrev wrote: April 6th, 2021, 12:53 pm Hi,
Certainly. Please be sure to read the prooflistening guide.
I will give directions for access to the MW in another post.

I see you have already started :thumbs:
A couple of notes:
Breathing noises are ok... we’ve had listeners say they like to know readers are real people. Of course, if it’s disturbing, heavy breathing, these comments don’t apply :lol:
Mouse clicks are ok, unless they are excessive.
It is not a good idea to get audacity to generate silence. If additional silence is really needed, it’s best to copy ambient room noise from another part of the file. To use real silence sounds awful in most files.
Ah... I've used generated silence in editing all my recordings, oops. And thank you for the feedback!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Adrienne, here are the instructions:

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password”
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo

Once in the MW, you will mainly be dealing with the drop down menu on the right.
If there are notes, I always like to add “see notes p. XXX” in the notes column (be sure to hit ‘save’)

If you are comfortable using Checker, please run all files through to check the specs. This isn’t required as part of DPLing, but it needs to be done either by you or me... just let me know.