COMPLETE [GROUP/RELIGION, with 3 DR dialogues] Later Treatises of Saint Athanasius, Archbishop of Alexandria-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mscllc wrote: May 21st, 2021, 2:06 pm It looks like just two sections remain for claiming:
3 Epistle to the African Bishops
5 Letter to Adelphius
I am willing to take both.
mscllc
Just checking that these are still on your radar.
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL DPL 43 27-28
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

InTheDesert wrote: July 25th, 2021, 8:10 pm
mscllc wrote: May 21st, 2021, 2:06 pm It looks like just two sections remain for claiming:
5 Letter to Adelphius
I am willing to take both.
mscllc
Just checking that these are still on your radar.
Yes, sections 3-5 of this project are still on my radar. I actually recorded section 3 a few weeks ago, but have not yet edited it, like I am chugging through the edition of the Creeds of Christendom project sections already recorded. There will be a pause this week because I have a research paper due on July 31st, but then I should be able to finish up everything quickly during the first week of August. :thumbs: mscllc
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

There have been a lot of unexpected disruptions this past month (and it now looks like I will still be disrupted for another week or two on my end), but here I have managed to edit this recording made back in May:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/latertreatises_03_athanasius_128kb.mp3
32:29

Hopefully I will get to sections 4 & 5 in a couple of weeks.
mscllc
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mscllc wrote: August 28th, 2021, 11:14 pm There have been a lot of unexpected disruptions this past month (and it now looks like I will still be disrupted for another week or two on my end), but here I have managed to edit this recording made back in May:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/latertreatises_03_athanasius_128kb.mp3

mscllc
Thanks! Will tackle it soon.
Emotions
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mscllc wrote: August 28th, 2021, 11:14 pm There have been a lot of unexpected disruptions this past month (and it now looks like I will still be disrupted for another week or two on my end), but here I have managed to edit this recording made back in May:

mscllc
It's all ok except for the intro where you say something other than 'treatises' (if it's just how you pronounce that word, let me know!).
Emotions
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I have just recorded Orthodox for the second Dialogue, and a lot of editing to do.

I am at a loss, however, as to how to treat those sections at the end:

O: (replies by citing twenty Fathers . . . . .)

Should I read it as written? I can get through the names, I think, but the references and abbreviations are a mystery to me.

Then the penultimate line for which ends (He quotes several passages, etc)
Should that also be read as written?

Any guidance you can give would be most gratefully received.

(I'll try to get to that long chapter on Romans, but want to work on getting this edited)
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: September 8th, 2021, 10:08 pm Well, I have just recorded Orthodox for the second Dialogue, and a lot of editing to do.

I am at a loss, however, as to how to treat those sections at the end:

O: (replies by citing twenty Fathers . . . . .)

Should I read it as written? I can get through the names, I think, but the references and abbreviations are a mystery to me.

Then the penultimate line for which ends (He quotes several passages, etc)
Should that also be read as written?

Any guidance you can give would be most gratefully received.

(I'll try to get to that long chapter on Romans, but want to work on getting this edited)
Yikes! Sorry Larry.

You can read the sentences in brackets - these are summaries of the diaglogues rather than the full things so that's the editor coming in and cutting out a long chunk.

Here's the expanded version of the tricky line. If you're troubled by the titles, I think you could choose to just read the names and skip the works (since the citations are like footnotes).
O. (replies by citing twenty Fathers, Ignatius - Smyrnaeans 3 ; Irenaeus, Hippolytus, Eustathius, Athanasius - Orationes contra Arianos ii. 70, Epistle to Epictetus 9 ; Sermo maior de fide 29, De Incarnatione Verbi Dei. , Contra Arianos 2, 3, 22 ; Ambrose, Basil, Gregory Nazianzen, Gregory Nyssen, Amphilochius, Theophilus, Chrysostom, Flavian of Antioch, Cyril of Jerusalem, Antiochus, Hilary, Augustine, Severian, Atticus, Cyril of Alexandria Epistle ad Nestorium, Epistle ad Joannem, Commentary on Hebrews, Scholia 4, 13, 27.)
Emotions
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

InTheDesert wrote: September 4th, 2021, 6:14 am

mscllc
It's all ok except for the intro where you say something other than 'treatises' (if it's just how you pronounce that word, let me know!).
Once I record sections 4 & 5, I will see about correcting the introduction. I think that between the fact that I have made some 250 hours of Summa Theologica recordings where the intro had "treatise" in it in the singular, and the fact that here in France the final consonant is left silent in most plural pronunciations in French (while I've been here eleven years, not having heard the English word "treatises" spoken in ages, I had to listen to the other section recordings to refamiliarize myself) -- my English reflexes are apparently deteriorating! Thanks for brushing me up! mscllc
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: February 19th, 2021, 3:10 pm ITD,
I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Hi MaryAnn, since these dialogues at the end are by Theodoret, could you add an additional author to this project? https://librivox.org/author/15803

Thanks!
Emotions
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Done!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

InTheDesert wrote: May 4th, 2021, 6:57 am
Thanks Larry, I've recorded mine and edited it together. Quite fine and I like how it sounds. You did a good job with the names - the can all stay as they are. These are justa precis of the full dialogue by Theodoret but I think they still do a good job without getting bogged down in very long quotations.

A couple of PL notes for you:

(I'll give them as pages rather than timestamps because I've already edited it together. It's not orthodox - heh -, but maybe you just want to upload a file containing these sentences as section 10 and then I'll splice it into the edited file rather than reuploading the original)

p.182 "but as having all that characterises Abraham's nature"
p.184 "There may be some here who are uninitiated"
p.186 "from Gnosticism to the Jewish "faction:"" (stress the word Jewish since he's saying 'from the Gnostic faction to the Jewish faction')
p.187 "in the middle portion of the psalm it is said of this great King, the Son of David"
p.188 "Likeness of men" means that while He was God, He appeared to be man."
p.189 "Yes, — and think over the points on which we are now agreed."
Here is the file with the lines above. I did them in reverse order as that is the way I'm used to editing. I'm not sure how well they will match, but if anything needs to be changed, let me know and I'll take care of it forthwith.
silverquill wrote: April 29th, 2021, 10:33 am Well, here is Orthodox for Dialogue 1

I don't know if you want voice credit or any intro/outro but they are included to use or discard as you wish.
I was also challenged by the names and references near the end where citations were being given by Orthodox, where some of the names and abbreviations were unfamiliar to me. Let me know if I need to change something there.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/latertreatises_10_lines_athanasius_128kb.flac
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

And the first dialogue is up! We'll see if a friendly PLer makes an appearance at some point.
Emotions
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: September 14th, 2021, 10:34 am This is dialogue 2 with your input at the end

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/latertreatises_12_athanasius_128kb.flac
Hi Larry,

I've edited the second dialogue and proof listened both our sections against the text. I think it sound quite cool - I really like listening to dialogues.

Could I get a file with the following sentences from you:
O: But in whatever points he is, he will be found to come short of the reality. (top p.194)
O: He is not Father, not uncaused, not unbegotten (top p.194)
Do you say this of the flesh, or of the Word, begotten of the Father before all ages ? (top p.199)
at once impious and absurd (top p.204)
and is thus "mingled" with all the atmosphere (bottom p.204)
O: He showed His hands only as He wrestled with Jacob. (bottom p.205)
Emotions
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Dialogue I (section 17) is PL OK! (I made the assumption that the outro "end of section 10" is correct, as this file will be in that spot when all is said and done, right?)