[COMPLETE] Theological Essays by Bradlaugh - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roxby

Post by Roxby »

Hi gang, just to let you know I am close to finishing my first section. Only a few more days of editing I think.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for letting me know!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Roxby

Post by Roxby »

Hi - just uploaded my first run of section 3, fingers crossed ....
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That's great!

We'll need a link and the running time. Post them both here please. :D

And just to make this clear because you say "first run": We want the files you upload to be as polished as you can get it - it's not the proof listener's job to list all repeats and stumbles etc. Small oversights are okay (happen to all of us), but essentially we want recordings that are finished and fully edited.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Roxby

Post by Roxby »

Sorry, still learning, when I mean 'first run' I mean I'm happy with it but I'm not naive in thinking that others might find a fault. I hope they don't and it's good to go so I can work on the other.

Here are the details.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/theologicalessays_03_bradlaugh_128kb.mp3
37miins 12 secs
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Great! :thumbs:

I did get worried here a little... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Roxby wrote: May 21st, 2021, 1:50 am Sorry, still learning, when I mean 'first run' I mean I'm happy with it but I'm not naive in thinking that others might find a fault. I hope they don't and it's good to go so I can work on the other.

Here are the details.

37miins 12 secs
Will get to listening to this when I can. In terms of technical specs, it's on the soft side (86.2 dB) but within out acceptable range of 86-92 so no chnages requied there..
poptsart

Post by poptsart »

Hi there,

I can take section 16, New Life of Jacob, if it hasn't been claimed yet.

Thanks!

-Michael
- Michael
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Roxby wrote: May 21st, 2021, 1:50 am Sorry, still learning, when I mean 'first run' I mean I'm happy with it but I'm not naive in thinking that others might find a fault. I hope they don't and it's good to go so I can work on the other.

Here are the details.

37miins 12 secs
Hi Adam! Here are the PL notes for section 3. Love your voice!

Section 3:
I'm a bit confused by the intro (there's a restart about 30 seconds in). The intro should be "Section 3 of Theological Essays. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Theological Essays, by Charles Bradlaugh. Heresy: Its Utility and Morality - Chapter III: The Seventeenth Century, Part 1." Hope that helps.
~5:10 To prove this existence of God and the immortality of the soul... "immorality" for "immortality"
~9:44 "that he pointed out the important law of the sines... sins" for "sines" (pronounces like signs - it makes a big difference in this context!)
~10:13 throwing off the swaddling clothes of scholasticism... "scholarcism" for "scholasticism"
~10:21 For what else is the methodical doubt which he established as the starting point in his philosophy... "mythological" for "methodical"
~28:07 and differing in this from nearly everyone whose name we have yet given... "form" for "from"
~32:57 should nevertheless contend with so much acrimony... "acrinomy" for "acrimony"
~36:30 few had perused his works for themselves..."has" for "had"
Last edited by InTheDesert on May 24th, 2021, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for the PLing! :D
poptsart wrote: May 24th, 2021, 5:28 pm I can take section 16, New Life of Jacob, if it hasn't been claimed yet.
Hi Michael,

welcome to LV and to this project! I see you have nailed your test in one go, well done! Section 16 is all yours, enjoy! Check the first post for details and let me know if you have questions. Have fun on here!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
poptsart

Post by poptsart »

Availle wrote: May 24th, 2021, 10:46 pm Thanks for the PLing! :D
poptsart wrote: May 24th, 2021, 5:28 pm I can take section 16, New Life of Jacob, if it hasn't been claimed yet.
Hi Michael,

welcome to LV and to this project! I see you have nailed your test in one go, well done! Section 16 is all yours, enjoy! Check the first post for details and let me know if you have questions. Have fun on here!
Hi, thanks!

I was wondering if biblical in-text citations should be read or ignored for this text?
- Michael
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You mean like (Jeremiah ix, 3.) or (Gen. xxv, 23)?

Yes, they are part of the text and not in footnotes. I'm sure the writer put them there for a reason. :D

Thank you.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Roxby

Post by Roxby »

InTheDesert wrote: May 24th, 2021, 7:38 pm

Here are the details.

37miins 12 secs
Hi Adam! Here are the PL notes for section 3. Love your voice!

Section 3:
I'm a bit confused by the intro (there's a restart about 30 seconds in). The intro should be "Section 3 of Theological Essays. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Theological Essays, by Charles Bradlaugh. Heresy: Its Utility and Morality - Chapter III: The Seventeenth Century, Part 1." Hope that helps.
~5:10 To prove this existence of God and the immortality of the soul... "immorality" for "immortality"
~9:44 "that he pointed out the important law of the sines... sins" for "sines" (pronounces like signs - it makes a big difference in this context!)
~10:13 throwing off the swaddling clothes of scholasticism... "scholarcism" for "scholasticism"
~10:21 For what else is the methodical doubt which he established as the starting point in his philosophy... "mythological" for "methodical"
~28:07 and differing in this from nearly everyone whose name we have yet given... "form" for "from"
~32:57 should nevertheless contend with so much acrimony... "acrinomy" for "acrimony"
~36:30 few had perused his works for themselves..."has" for "had"
Hi there.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I just hope I can make the changes without making it sound too obvious.

The only thing I'm confused about is how I should be pronouncing acrimony.

Thanks once again
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Roxby wrote: May 27th, 2021, 2:42 am
Hi there.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I just hope I can make the changes without making it sound too obvious.

The only thing I'm confused about is how I should be pronouncing acrimony.

Thanks once again
Recording in the same location usually makes the edits neatest. Record the whole sentence and drop it in rather than just changing one word. Matching the volume of the newly recorded phrase to the preceding and following sentences makes a big difference too!

I think I heard the n and m in acrimony swapped in your recording but if you think it's ok then you're welcome to leave it as is :)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Section 24 is up. So many names :shock: I probably butchered quite a few of them, do let me know if it's really painful.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com