COMPLETE [HISTORY] The Waning of the Middle-Ages, by Johan Huizinga-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/the-waning-of-the-middle-ages-by-johan-huizinga/

The waning of the middle ages: a study of the forms of life, thought and art in France and the Netherlands in the XIVth and XVth centuries, by Johan Huizinga (1872 - 1945), translated by Frederik Jan Hopman (1877 - 1932)
The Waning of the Middle Ages (also known as The Autumn of the Middle Ages, or Autumntide of the Middle Ages), subtitled A study of the forms of life, thought and art in France and the Netherlands in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, is Johan Huizinga's most famous work. It was published in 1919 as Herfsttij der Middeleeuwen and first translated into English in 1924.

Huizinga defends the idea that the exaggerated formality and romanticism of late medieval court society was a defense mechanism against the constantly increasing violence and brutality of life. The break off between Middle Ages and Renaissance was, according to him, a period of pessimism, cultural exhaustion, and nostalgia. Even though this work has found criticism, especially for relying too heavily on evidence exclusively from the Burgundian court, it has achieved immense impact in the thought about the period. (Summary by Leni)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015010317850

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

Please observe:

1) DO NOT read captions to pictures or the pictures themselves.
2) ONLY read footnotes when they are very important to the understanding of the text (e.g., do not read bibliographic footnotes). Please read them at the end of the sentence in which the note appears. Say: FOOTNOTE, then read the content of the footnote, then say END OF FOOTNOTE.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The waning of the middle ages: a study of the forms of life, thought and art in France and the Netherlands in the 14th and 15th centuries. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The waning of the middle ages, by Johan Huizinga, translated by Frederik Jan Hopman. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The waning of the middle ages: a study of the forms of life, thought and art in France and the Netherlands in the 14th and 15th centuries, by Johan Huizinga, translated by Frederik Jan Hopman."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: waningofthemiddleages_##_huizinga_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. waningofthemiddleages_01_huizinga_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Leni

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Leni
=================
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Could I take the preface and Section 14?
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

silverquill wrote: February 15th, 2021, 9:16 am Could I take the preface and Section 14?
Sure, Larry! But I had to break a few chapters, so, sections shifted a bit. Just to confirm, you want chapter 14, Religious Sensibility and Religious Imagination?
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

The window is ready, looking for a DPL!
Leni
=================
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Just to get something on the board, here is the short preface.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/waningofthemiddleages_00_huizinga_128kb.mp3 3:58

And, yes the current Section 17 is good.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Leni,

Well, one thing that can be said for LV, is that there certainly is an eclectic collection of choices available. :clap: Might I claim Section 1, please?

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

silverquill wrote: February 18th, 2021, 11:07 am Just to get something on the board, here is the short preface.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/waningofthemiddleages_00_huizinga_128kb.mp3 3:58

And, yes the current Section 17 is good.
Great, thanks much, Larry!
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Kalamareader wrote: February 18th, 2021, 1:21 pm Leni,

Well, one thing that can be said for LV, is that there certainly is an eclectic collection of choices available. :clap: Might I claim Section 1, please?

Thanks,

Wayne
One of our strengths! :mrgreen: Thanks for claiming, Wayne!
Leni
=================
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Leni wrote: February 18th, 2021, 2:52 pm
Kalamareader wrote: February 18th, 2021, 1:21 pm Leni,

Thanks,

Wayne
One of our strengths! :mrgreen: Thanks for claiming, Wayne!
Leni,

Here is Chapter 1 part 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/waningofthemiddleages_01_huizinga_128kb.mp3

Time: 30:10

And please, any French speakers out there, please, please excuse me for my murderization (to coin a word) of the French names and places found here in. :roll:
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks much, Wayne! I will PL soon, if no DPL shows up.

Well, haven't we all butchered some foreign language words in LV in our time... :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leni
=================
thobbspeterson

Post by thobbspeterson »

Could I take sections 22 & 23?

Thanks!
Tasha
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

thobbspeterson wrote: February 21st, 2021, 12:17 pm Could I take sections 22 & 23?

Thanks!
Tasha
Sure, thanks for claiming
Leni
=================
jaykaymak

Post by jaykaymak »

Hi, can I claim section 14 and 15? Thank you!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

jaykaymak wrote: February 21st, 2021, 9:25 pm Hi, can I claim section 14 and 15? Thank you!
Sure! I see you have already posted your one-minute test and gotten feedback, so, I am assigning you the sections. Happy recording!
Leni
=================
willow

Post by willow »

Hi! Can I please claim Section 20?