COMPLETE Othello by William Shakespeare (Version 2) - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Othello, by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue https://librivox.org/othello-2-by-william-shakespeare/
Othello is a tragedy about the downfall of the titular hero, Othello, a Moorish general in the service of Venice. His cunning ensign, Iago, plots to goad his jealousy and thus manipulate his relationship with his wife, Desdemona, a noble and virtuous Venetian beauty whom he just married. (Summary by Junrui Zheng)
Source text (please read only from this text, and not any other version on Gutenberg!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1531

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Othello. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Othello, by William Shakespeare. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Act #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Othello, by William Shakespeare."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: othello_##_shakespeare_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. othello_01_shakespeare_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

BC: YuqingJune (Yuqing)
DPL/MC: Rapunzelina
Readers: We're looking for you! :wink:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread. Thank you!
Last edited by YuqingJune on February 10th, 2021, 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers,
Yuqing :D
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

To clarify, this is NOT intended to be a dramatic reading project. :wink:

Since there is only one existing version (and a dramatic version too), here I am hoping to help any willing volunteers to create a different one.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Yuqing, I can MC. However, could you choose a gutenberg ebook as text source since it's available there?

(Also is the summary in the public domain? Maybe you could write one in your own words?)
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 9th, 2021, 8:02 am Hi Yuqing, I can MC. However, could you choose a gutenberg ebook as text source since it's available there?

(Also is the summary in the public domain? Maybe you could write one in your own words?)
Alright, I've changed the source link!

Also, there's no need to worry about the summary. :wink:
I asked a friend of mine to write it out just for this project, and he's given me permission to make it PD.

On a side note, wouldn't "othello_##_shakespeare_128kb.mp3" (I put something along the lines of "othello2" at first before you changed it) generate the same set of file links as those in Version 1?

Thank you!
Cheers,
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

YuqingJune wrote: February 9th, 2021, 8:28 am

On a side note, wouldn't "othello_##_shakespeare_128kb.mp3" (I put something along the lines of "othello2" at first before you changed it) generate the same set of file links as those in Version 1?

Thank you!
The distinction will be made in the ID3 tags for the album (Othello Version 2), rather than in the filenames.

Cool about the summary :thumbs:

I'll post again when I create the magic window.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window is in place, and you should have access :D

There are more than one Othello ebooks in Gutenberg.org, that's why I didn't link to one in particular, so you could choose the one you wanted. And I can do word perfect PLing if that's what you are after, that's why I want to make double sure the text is the one you would like for this project. :?:
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 9th, 2021, 9:46 am Magic Window is in place, and you should have access :D

There are more than one Othello ebooks in Gutenberg.org, that's why I didn't link to one in particular, so you could choose the one you wanted. And I can do word perfect PLing if that's what you are after, that's why I want to make double sure the text is the one you would like for this project. :?:
Thank you very much! I've entered the section titles in the MW.

I added in a section dedicated to Dramatis Personæ.
Please let me know if you find it redundant - other non-dramatic renditions of Shakespeare's works in LibriVox don't seem to have it.

Thank you for confirming with me regarding the source text as well!
I changed the Gutenberg link to one that presents the text in a more presentable and readable format.

Do you mean to be DPL for this project?
Then we might as well remove the "~" in our group name before moving to the Readers Wanted forum! :lol:
Cheers,
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

YuqingJune wrote: February 9th, 2021, 11:43 pm I added in a section dedicated to Dramatis Personæ.
Please let me know if you find it redundant - other non-dramatic renditions of Shakespeare's works in LibriVox don't seem to have it.
It's fine, it's your call! It can be a separate section, it can be incorporated to act 1, or it can be skipped altogether.
If you're having it as a separate section, would you like me to make that Section 0?

YuqingJune wrote: February 9th, 2021, 11:43 pm Do you mean to be DPL for this project?
Yes, if you'll have me :D
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 10th, 2021, 1:27 am It's fine, it's your call! It can be a separate section, it can be incorporated to act 1, or it can be skipped altogether.
If you're having it as a separate section, would you like me to make that Section 0?
Yes, please! Thank you for the suggestion.

And of course, I'm more than happy to have you as our DPL here!
Last edited by YuqingJune on February 12th, 2021, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

Hi there. If you are open for readers. I'm happy to take Iago
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Yuqing.
I've made the Dramatis Personae as Section 0 and moved us to Readers Wanted.
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

cavaet wrote: February 10th, 2021, 11:31 pm Hi there. If you are open for readers. I'm happy to take Iago
Hello! I'm afraid there's some misunderstanding going on here. :oops:
This isn't a dramatic reading project in fact; so what can be claimed are entire sections, not roles...

If there's any section that interests you, I'll be glad to assign!
Cheers,
nradduci

Post by nradduci »

I would like Act 1 please!
nradduci

Post by nradduci »

Here is my recording of Act 1
- Nicholas Adduci

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/othello_01_shakespeare_128kb.mp3
(Time - 45:48)
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

nradduci wrote: February 12th, 2021, 4:00 pm Here is my recording of Act 1
- Nicholas Adduci

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/othello_01_shakespeare_128kb.mp3
(Time - 45:48)
Hey Nicholas, that was fast! I've updated the MW. Thanks for the enthusiasm.

Next time, it'll be great to make sure your BC replies to your post and confirms your "booking" before you jump on board!
This of course isn't much of a problem in a less complex project like this one, but it could complicate things for others.

Also, a gentle reminder to clear your 1-minute test - another volunteer has just given you additional feedback. :wink:
This time round your file format and volume are both alright.
Nonetheless, please amend your test file so that your future BCs won't be confused when they see you haven't passed that test and still you've recorded a lot of sections already!
Cheers,