COMPLETE: Doctor Grimshawe's Secret by Nathaniel Hawthorne -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Mfassio wrote: March 15th, 2021, 4:55 pm Hi,
I would like to do chapters 5, 12 and 13 please. Thanks!

Mike
Thanks Mike I will sign you up
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

Hi,

Now that I've gotten my feet wet, I would like to tackle Chapter 16.

Thanks!
Amy
wib66

Post by wib66 »

WiseHive55 wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:37 am Hi,

Now that I've gotten my feet wet, I would like to tackle Chapter 16.

Thanks!
Amy
Thank you for chapter 14 I will sign you up to 16
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

PL Notes for section 14

There should be between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning of the file it is currently shorter than this

There should be 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file it is currently shorter than this

If you could edit the file and re upload using the same filename that would be great thanks
Michele
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

wib66 wrote: March 20th, 2021, 4:52 pm PL Notes for section 14

There should be between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning of the file it is currently shorter than this

There should be 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file it is currently shorter than this

If you could edit the file and re upload using the same filename that would be great thanks
Sorry about that! I've reuploaded it:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/drgrimshawessecret_14_hawthorne_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Amy
wib66

Post by wib66 »

There should be between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning of the file it is currently longer than this

Michele
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

wib66 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 10:38 am

There should be between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning of the file it is currently longer than this

Fixed, I hope.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/drgrimshawessecret_14_hawthorne_128kb.mp3
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Michele
lisajablow

Post by lisajablow »

I would like to read Chapter 17. LNJ
wib66

Post by wib66 »

lisajablow wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 2:28 pm I would like to read Chapter 17. LNJ
Thank you I will sign you up
Michele
JessicaHendra

Post by JessicaHendra »

I can do Chapter 18 if it is still available.
Jessica
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/drgrimshawessecret_00_hawthorne_128kb.mp3 15:36

I see that you might not have written the summary yet. I suggest a few quotes from the Preface for you to consider:

A man generally contrives to publish, during his lifetime, quite as much as the public has time or inclination to read; and his surviving friends are apt to show more zeal than discretion in dragging forth from his closed desk such undeveloped offspring of his mind as he himself had left to silence.
There is nothing in the present volume which any one possessed of brains and cultivation will not be thankful to read.
we are presented with the spectacle of a Titan, baring his arms and plunging heart and soul into the arena, there to struggle for death or victory with the superb phantoms summoned to the conflict by his own genius.
The character of old Doctor Grimshawe, and the picture of his surroundings, are hardly surpassed in vigor by anything their author has produced; and the dusky vision of the secret chamber, which sends a mysterious shiver through the tale, seems to be unique even in Hawthorne.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
wib66

Post by wib66 »

GraceBuchanan wrote: March 24th, 2021, 7:26 am https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/drgrimshawessecret_00_hawthorne_128kb.mp3 15:36

I see that you might not have written the summary yet. I suggest a few quotes from the Preface for you to consider:

A man generally contrives to publish, during his lifetime, quite as much as the public has time or inclination to read; and his surviving friends are apt to show more zeal than discretion in dragging forth from his closed desk such undeveloped offspring of his mind as he himself had left to silence.
There is nothing in the present volume which any one possessed of brains and cultivation will not be thankful to read.
we are presented with the spectacle of a Titan, baring his arms and plunging heart and soul into the arena, there to struggle for death or victory with the superb phantoms summoned to the conflict by his own genius.
The character of old Doctor Grimshawe, and the picture of his surroundings, are hardly surpassed in vigor by anything their author has produced; and the dusky vision of the secret chamber, which sends a mysterious shiver through the tale, seems to be unique even in Hawthorne.
Yes not sure why but I find writing the summaries difficult. Thank you so much for that it makes perfect sense. Thank you for your section.
Michele
Venice

Post by Venice »

Can I read section 18 please?
Good things happen to those who wait.