COMPLETE [PHILOSOPHY/RELIGION] The Spirit's Book, by Allan Kardec, translated by Anna Blackwell-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/the-spirits-book-by-allan-kardec/

This is an abandoned solo, being open as a collaborative for completion.

The Spirit's Book, by Allan Kardec (1804 - 1869), translated by Anna Blackwell (1816 - 1900)
The Spirits' Book, published in French in 1857, is considered the most important book in the Spiritist philosophy. It contains the bases for that philosophy and all important points in its doctrine: the belief in God, reincarnation and the survival of the soul after death, the fact that it is through reincarnation that the soul learns and moves closer to perfection. The work is the first of a five book canon, and it is organized in the form of questions and answers, with commentary by the codifier, Allan Kardec, a pseudonym of Hippolyte Léon Denizard Rivail. (Summary by Leni)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/spiritualistphil01kard

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Listeners Wanted FAQ.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Spirit's Book. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Spirit's Book, by Allan Kardec, translated by Anna Blackwell. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Book [number] chapter[number] #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Spirit's Book, by Allan Kardec, translated by Anna Blackwell"
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: spiritsbook_##_kardec_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. spiritsbook_01_kardec_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Leni

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Leni
=================
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

oooh. Fascinating!
Is it too soon for me to ask to claim Section 8
Book 2, Chapter 4. Plurality of existences
?
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Not at all! Thanks for claiming! :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
afaustino16

Post by afaustino16 »

Can I claim Book 2 Chapter 5. Plurality of existences?
dg73

Post by dg73 »

Can I claim sections 5,6 and 7?

5 Book 2 Chapter 1. Spirits. Origin and nature of spirits.Primitive and normal worlds. Form and ubiquity of spirits. The Perispirit. Different orders of spirits. Spirit hierarchy.
6 Book 2 Chapter 2. Incarnation of spirits. Aim of incarnation. The soul. Materialism. p.54 to 62 Open
7 Book 2 Chapter 3. Return from the corporeal to the spirit life.
Last edited by dg73 on January 30th, 2021, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Gurzynski
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

afaustino16 wrote: January 29th, 2021, 8:42 pm Can I claim Book 2 Chapter 5. Plurality of existences?
Hello, and welcome to Librivox. Yes, you can, I will put you down for it. We strongly recommend though that before trying a full chapter, you do the 1-minute test, as explained here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

dg73 wrote: January 30th, 2021, 6:21 am Can I claim sections 5,6 and 7?

5 Book 2 Chapter 1. Spirits. Origin and nature of spirits.Primitive and normal worlds. Form and ubiquity of spirits. The Perispirit. Different orders of spirits. Spirit hierarchy.
6 Book 2 Chapter 2. Incarnation of spirits. Aim of incarnation. The soul. Materialism. p.54 to 62 Open
7 Book 2 Chapter 3. Return from the corporeal to the spirit life.
Absolutely! Thanks for claiming, sections assigned.
Leni
=================
Mayah92

Post by Mayah92 »

Hi,
I'd like to read sections 23 & 24 if they are available.
Let's give Peace a chance. :wink:
Polaroid

Post by Polaroid »

Hi! I'd like to claim 10 and 11!
Elizabeth Renae
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Mayah92 wrote: February 1st, 2021, 5:47 pm Hi,
I'd like to read sections 23 & 24 if they are available.
Thanks, Mayah! Sections assigned.
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Polaroid wrote: February 1st, 2021, 5:57 pm Hi! I'd like to claim 10 and 11!
Thanks for claiming, Elizabeth!
Leni
=================
GardenRosie

Post by GardenRosie »

Hello!

May I claim section 14, please? (Book 2 Chapter 9, part 1)

Thank you!

GardenRosie
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

GardenRosie wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 10:06 am Hello!

May I claim section 14, please? (Book 2 Chapter 9, part 1)

Thank you!

GardenRosie
Sure, thanks for claiming!
Leni
=================
SharonC

Post by SharonC »

May I claim Section 13, Book 2 Chapter 8. Emancipation of the soul? (This will be my first time.)

Thank you!
SharonC
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

SharonC wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 7:31 pm May I claim Section 13, Book 2 Chapter 8. Emancipation of the soul? (This will be my first time.)

Thank you!
SharonC
Hello, Sharon, and welcome to LibriVox!

Since this is your first recording, we strongly recommend you try the 1-minute test before embarking on the whole section. Here is some information on it: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Leni
=================