[COMPLETE] Syria: the Desert and the Sown by Gertrude Bell - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

JordanR wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 8:55 pm Can I try chapter 3?
Yes, thanks for volunteering! :) Since this looks like the first time you'll be assigned a section, let me know under what name (real or nickname) you would like to be credited in the catalog. We can also include a link to your personal website or blog, if you have one.

Michael
68G0uN6rIitv

Post by 68G0uN6rIitv »

Do you mind if I read Chapter V?

This will be my first recording. Please feel free to use my actual name (Marc Blackmer).

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks.

- Marc
JordanR

Post by JordanR »

Kazbek wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 9:46 pm
JordanR wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 8:55 pm Can I try chapter 3?
Yes, thanks for volunteering! :) Since this looks like the first time you'll be assigned a section, let me know under what name (real or nickname) you would like to be credited in the catalog. We can also include a link to your personal website or blog, if you have one.

Michael
Thanks!
My real name is Jordan Russell so you can credit me under that.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

68G0uN6rIitv wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 12:45 pm Do you mind if I read Chapter V?

This will be my first recording. Please feel free to use my actual name (Marc Blackmer).

Thanks.

- Marc
Certainly, Marc. Thanks for volunteering! :) Please complete a 1-Minute Test before you record your first contribution. Its purpose is to ensure that your recording software and hardware is set up in accordance with LibriVox technical standards, so that you get a chance to adjust your setup without having to redo a longer recording. The instructions can be found on this wiki page:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

If you post a notification about your test in this thread, I can check it for you. In the meantime, I'll pencil in your claim in the Notes column of the Magic Window.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

JordanR wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 2:27 pm Thanks!
My real name is Jordan Russell so you can credit me under that.
Will do. Here's your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/15720

The new catalog name should appear there within a couple of day.

Michael
68G0uN6rIitv

Post by 68G0uN6rIitv »

Kazbek wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 3:03 pm
68G0uN6rIitv wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 12:45 pm Do you mind if I read Chapter V?

Thanks.

- Marc
Certainly, Marc. Thanks for volunteering! :) Please complete a 1-Minute Test before you record your first contribution. Its purpose is to ensure that your recording software and hardware is set up in accordance with LibriVox technical standards, so that you get a chance to adjust your setup without having to redo a longer recording. The instructions can be found on this wiki page:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

If you post a notification about your test in this thread, I can check it for you. In the meantime, I'll pencil in your claim in the Notes column of the Magic Window.

Michael
Hi, Michael.

You can find my test file at https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_68G0uN6rIitv.mp3 and I have posted to the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum per the directions.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything else from me.

Thanks.

- Marc
TadDavis

Post by TadDavis »

Kazbek wrote: January 6th, 2021, 7:51 pm
TadDavis wrote: January 6th, 2021, 7:48 pm I’m willing to try my hand at Chapter 4. The Arabic names are a little daunting, to say the least, but I’ll give them my best shot.
Appreciated! :)

Michael
Got sidetracked by life, but I recorded the "first draft" of Chapter IV this morning. I will edit it and check it against the text tomorrow, and unless it needs a major reworking, will upload it for review. It's a fascinating travelogue, obviously dated in some of its observations but sharply drawn.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

68G0uN6rIitv wrote: February 4th, 2021, 10:03 am You can find my test file at https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_68G0uN6rIitv.mp3 and I have posted to the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum per the directions.
Great. It looks like someone else is already helping you with the test.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: February 4th, 2021, 10:04 am Got sidetracked by life, but I recorded the "first draft" of Chapter IV this morning. I will edit it and check it against the text tomorrow, and unless it needs a major reworking, will upload it for review. It's a fascinating travelogue, obviously dated in some of its observations but sharply drawn.
Great. I look forward to listening to it!

Michael
TadDavis

Post by TadDavis »

Chapter 4 has been uploaded for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/syriadesertsown_04_bell_128kb.mp3

The track length is 34:51.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: February 6th, 2021, 10:18 am Chapter 4 has been uploaded for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/syriadesertsown_04_bell_128kb.mp3

The track length is 34:51.
Thank you, Tad!

Michael
68G0uN6rIitv

Post by 68G0uN6rIitv »

Hi, Michael.

I got the OK on the test recording, so I can begin recording Chapter 5 when I get the go-ahead from you.

Thanks.

- Marc
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

68G0uN6rIitv wrote: February 7th, 2021, 7:25 am Hi, Michael.

I got the OK on the test recording, so I can begin recording Chapter 5 when I get the go-ahead from you.

Thanks.

- Marc
Hi Marc,

Yep, you're all set! :D

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: February 6th, 2021, 10:18 am Chapter 4 has been uploaded for review.
PL OK. Nice job with the Arabic!

Michael
TadDavis

Post by TadDavis »

If no one else has plans for it, I'd like to give Chapter 2 a try.

I see there's a footnote in the text. I don't know if there's a Librivox standard for those. This is how I've heard it handled in other audiobooks: "Text of passage. Footnote: text of footnote. Slight pause. Text of passage resumes." Sometimes, more formally, the footnote is blocked off with "Footnote... End of footnote." I find that somewhat more than necessary for clarity, but will be happy to follow whatever the preference is.

Thanks for comments on my "Arabic." Totally winging it and always happy to correct it if it's too far off to be tolerated.