[TRAVEL] Syria: the Desert and the Sown by Gertrude Bell - lt

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Kazbek
Posts: 2507
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » February 8th, 2021, 5:30 pm

TadDavis wrote:
February 8th, 2021, 10:14 am
If no one else has plans for it, I'd like to give Chapter 2 a try.
Great, thanks!
I see there's a footnote in the text. I don't know if there's a Librivox standard for those. This is how I've heard it handled in other audiobooks: "Text of passage. Footnote: text of footnote. Slight pause. Text of passage resumes." Sometimes, more formally, the footnote is blocked off with "Footnote... End of footnote." I find that somewhat more than necessary for clarity, but will be happy to follow whatever the preference is.
I'm leaving decision of whether to read the footnotes up to the readers. Personally, I prefer the format "Footnote... End of footnote", but if you can make the end of the footnote clear without the second part, and prefer it that way, I won't object.

Michael

TadDavis
Posts: 30
Joined: February 6th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Post by TadDavis » February 10th, 2021, 9:03 am

Kazbek wrote:
February 8th, 2021, 5:30 pm
TadDavis wrote:
February 8th, 2021, 10:14 am
If no one else has plans for it, I'd like to give Chapter 2 a try.
Great, thanks!
I see there's a footnote in the text. I don't know if there's a Librivox standard for those. This is how I've heard it handled in other audiobooks: "Text of passage. Footnote: text of footnote. Slight pause. Text of passage resumes." Sometimes, more formally, the footnote is blocked off with "Footnote... End of footnote." I find that somewhat more than necessary for clarity, but will be happy to follow whatever the preference is.
I'm leaving decision of whether to read the footnotes up to the readers. Personally, I prefer the format "Footnote... End of footnote", but if you can make the end of the footnote clear without the second part, and prefer it that way, I won't object.

Michael
Michael - I'll follow your preference. In this case the footnote is an informative comment and I think should definitely be included; and I'll go for the best option where clarity is concerned.

JordanR
Posts: 9
Joined: January 26th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Post by JordanR » February 17th, 2021, 2:10 pm

I've finished recording chapter 3 https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/syriadesertsown_03_bell_128kb.mp3

Any feedback or corrections is appreciated.

Kazbek
Posts: 2507
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » February 17th, 2021, 4:03 pm

JordanR wrote:
February 17th, 2021, 2:10 pm
I've finished recording chapter 3 https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/syriadesertsown_03_bell_128kb.mp3

Any feedback or corrections is appreciated.
Thank you, Jordan! I should be able to listen with a couple of days.

For the future, please note that we ask readers to provide the length of their recording (mm:ss) for every upload. I've checked the length for this one. :)

Michael

Kazbek
Posts: 2507
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » February 19th, 2021, 9:28 pm

JordanR wrote:
February 17th, 2021, 2:10 pm
I've finished recording chapter 3 https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/syriadesertsown_03_bell_128kb.mp3

Any feedback or corrections is appreciated.
Nice work! Just a couple of minor technical issues: please shorten the silence at the start to <1 second and the silence at the end to ~5 seconds.

Thanks,
Michael

JordanR
Posts: 9
Joined: January 26th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Post by JordanR » February 22nd, 2021, 7:05 pm

Kazbek wrote:
February 17th, 2021, 4:03 pm
JordanR wrote:
February 17th, 2021, 2:10 pm
I've finished recording chapter 3 https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/syriadesertsown_03_bell_128kb.mp3

Any feedback or corrections is appreciated.
Thank you, Jordan! I should be able to listen with a couple of days.

For the future, please note that we ask readers to provide the length of their recording (mm:ss) for every upload. I've checked the length for this one. :)

Michael
Oh sorry about all that. I've added 1 second of silence to the beginning and 5 seconds to the end and re-uploaded. The new time is 32:05

Kazbek
Posts: 2507
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » February 22nd, 2021, 8:13 pm

JordanR wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 7:05 pm
Oh sorry about all that. I've added 1 second of silence to the beginning and 5 seconds to the end and re-uploaded. The new time is 32:05
Thanks, now PL OK. Congratulations on your first completed section! :)

Michael

TadDavis
Posts: 30
Joined: February 6th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Post by TadDavis » March 3rd, 2021, 10:33 am

Chapter 2 has been uploaded for review:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/syriadesertsown_02_bell_128kb.mp3

Length is 34 min 30 sec.

Kazbek
Posts: 2507
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » March 3rd, 2021, 5:58 pm

TadDavis wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 10:33 am
Chapter 2 has been uploaded for review:
Thank you, Tad!

Michael

Kazbek
Posts: 2507
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » March 5th, 2021, 8:35 pm

TadDavis wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 10:33 am
Chapter 2 has been uploaded for review:
PL OK. :thumbs: Nice pharyngeals, and also good job with the... camelese? :)

Michael

TadDavis
Posts: 30
Joined: February 6th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Post by TadDavis » March 6th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Kazbek wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 8:35 pm
TadDavis wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 10:33 am
Chapter 2 has been uploaded for review:
PL OK. :thumbs: Nice pharyngeals, and also good job with the... camelese? :)

Michael
I took camelese in high school.

TadDavis
Posts: 30
Joined: February 6th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Post by TadDavis » March 6th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Kazbek wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 8:35 pm
TadDavis wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 10:33 am
Chapter 2 has been uploaded for review:
PL OK. :thumbs: Nice pharyngeals, and also good job with the... camelese? :)

Michael
Put me down for chapter 6, which appears to be open.

Kazbek
Posts: 2507
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » March 6th, 2021, 9:08 pm

TadDavis wrote:
March 6th, 2021, 12:49 pm
Put me down for chapter 6, which appears to be open.
Great, thanks!

Michael

JordanR
Posts: 9
Joined: January 26th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Post by JordanR » March 12th, 2021, 5:37 pm

Kazbek wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 8:13 pm
JordanR wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 7:05 pm
Oh sorry about all that. I've added 1 second of silence to the beginning and 5 seconds to the end and re-uploaded. The new time is 32:05
Thanks, now PL OK. Congratulations on your first completed section! :)

Michael
Woohoo, that feels great.

Can I also do Chapter 7?

Kazbek
Posts: 2507
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » March 12th, 2021, 8:24 pm

JordanR wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 5:37 pm
Woohoo, that feels great.

Can I also do Chapter 7?
Certainly, thanks!

Michael

Post Reply