COMPLETE: Neddie and Beckie Stubtail by Howard R. Garis -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Neddie and Beckie Stubtail by Howard R. Garis (1873 - 1962).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/neddie-and-beckie-stubtail-by-howard-r-garis/

Follow the adventures and escapades of these delightful bears! There is one story for each day of the month from master story teller H.R. Garis who brought us the stories of Uncle Wiggily, Curlytops, Buddy, Teddy, and many others. This is one of his Bedtime series. (Summary by Larry Wilson )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61082
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature

Keywords that describe the book: young adult, children's literature, bears, animal stories, bedtime, read alound

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Neddie and Beckie Stubtail. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Neddie and Beckie Stubtail, by Howard R. Garis. [Chapter Title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter [Number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Neddie and Beckie Stubtail, by Howard R. Garis. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      neddieandbeckie_##_garis_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. neddieandbeckie_01_garis_128kb.mp3)

ID3 tags will be added automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is:knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
HE IS RISEN
~ Larry
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll set this up for you, Larry. MW will be up shortly.
Jo
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

This looks like fun. Could I have XVII. Papa Stubtail in a Trap? Or, do I need to wait?

Thanks,

M
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you, Jo!

We are now ready for readers

A DPL WOULD BE MOST WELCOME.
HE IS RISEN
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mleigh wrote: November 11th, 2020, 5:42 pm This looks like fun. Could I have XVII. Papa Stubtail in a Trap? Or, do I need to wait?

Thanks,

M
Ah, yes, you are fine, and with the MW you are in for Section 17.
Thank you.
HE IS RISEN
~ Larry
loon

Post by loon »

silverquill wrote: November 11th, 2020, 10:01 pm
Goodness gracious me with chocolate syrup on top. I could do that.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

loon wrote: November 12th, 2020, 9:19 pm
silverquill wrote: November 11th, 2020, 10:01 pm
Goodness gracious me with chocolate syrup on top. I could do that.
Hang, on! I'm on my way to the fridge to get the chocolate syrup! :)
Maybe some Cool Whip, too. But, if I can't find a cherry to put on top, will you still take it? :lol:

Our wonderful MC will add you to the DPL slot.
Thanks so much.
HE IS RISEN
~ Larry
RSerra

Post by RSerra »

Hello everyone. Im Super fresh Today having found out this was something I was able to try to be a part of.

Could I be assigned to

Section 2: Beckie and the Buns

is there where i can put a test?
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Rserra.mp3

is DPL a - Designated Project Listener?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

RSerra wrote: November 12th, 2020, 10:19 pm Hello everyone. Im Super fresh Today having found out this was something I was able to try to be a part of.

Could I be assigned to

Section 2: Beckie and the Buns

is there where i can put a test?
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Rserra.mp3

is DPL a - Designated Project Listener?
Thank you for your interest in recording for LibriVox!

There is a lot to learn at the beginning, so I suggest you take some time to read some of our introductory material, especially the Newbie Guide to Recording. There is a lot of useful information that will help you get off to a good start Under point 2 in the Guide you will find the information you need to know about that test recording, including where to post it. Here's the link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

I did take a quick listen, and I can tell you that there are several problems that need attention.

1) The recording is stereo and we need all files to be mono
2) The bit rate is wrong. All files must be at 128kbs and yours is 320
3) The volume is far too low, at only 81.8 dB. Our target is 89 dB with an acceptable range of 86-92 dB
4) the first part of the recording is missing, as if you had cut it off.
5) Not so critical for the test, but file names must be in lower case only, and only five seconds of silence at the end.

I will go ahead and put you in for this section, but I suggest you make the above corrections and post it to the listener's wanted forum. Once you have everything OK, let me know, and also tell me how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog -- real name, pseudonym or any nickname you wish.

DPL is Dedicated Proof Listener. Just is writing needs proof reading, recordings need proof listening. Usually a project will have one person who volunteers to do this, and they will provide a report for each recording after checking the technical specifications and any mistakes in the reading that need correction.

Speaking of reading, you have a great animated style of reading that will be so good for this book. My only suggestion is to slow you pace a bit. It will sound slow in reading, but will be much easier for the listener.

Let me know what questions you have or how we can help.
Glad to have you on board.
HE IS RISEN
~ Larry
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

May I have 18, 23, and 30 please?
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Nedge wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:08 pm May I have 18, 23, and 30 please?
Good to have you here, Nan!
These are yours.
HE IS RISEN
~ Larry
dakotan06

Post by dakotan06 »

Hi!
Can I claim Chapter 4 and 5, please? :)

Thanks,
dakotan06
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

dakotan06 wrote: November 15th, 2020, 7:27 am Hi!
Can I claim Chapter 4 and 5, please? :)

Thanks,
dakotan06
You may!
I've put you in for these, but please let me know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog -- real name, pseudonym or any nickname you wish This is how you will be credited for all of your LibriVox work.

Thank you!
HE IS RISEN
~ Larry
Reden

Post by Reden »

can I claim chapter 6?
Thanks,
Reden
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Reden wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:27 am can I claim chapter 6?
Thanks,
Reden
You may!
Thank you so much.
HE IS RISEN
~ Larry