COMPLETE - Home Education 4, book 1, Mason - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Home Education Series Vol. IV: Ourselves, Book I. Self-Knowledge by Charlotte Mason (1842 - 1923).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/home-education-series-vol-iv-book-1-by-charlotte-mason/
This is Book I of the forth volume in the Home Education Series detailing Charlotte Mason's method of education. This volume is subtitled Ourselves and Book I is titled Self-Knowledge. The series is used today by many home-schoolers around the globe and is considered a classic reference by the founder of the homeschooling movement. ( rachelrw / linny)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/home-education-series-vol-iv-ourselves I have the original text. Let me know if you need a page scanned again.
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Education

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Home Education Series Vol. IV: Ourselves, Book I. Self-Knowledge. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name]"
      • Say:
        "Home Education Series Vol. IV: Ourselves, Book I. Self-Knowledge, by Charlotte Mason. [Title from the MW]"

NOTE: After reading the section please read the associated appendix portion. They are all short and will be more understood with the reading than a separate appendix.

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section #]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Home Education Series Vol. IV: Ourselves, Book I. Self-Knowledge, by Charlotte Mason. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      cmvol4.1_##_mason_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. cmvol4.1_01_mason_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Ignore ID3 tags. They are entered automatically during the catalog process.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
AlongsideMom

Post by AlongsideMom »

Good job getting this scanned! :clap: I will volunteer for the introductory chapters, sections 1, 2, & 3 :thumbs:
Brooke Favorat
Homeschool mom of 5
www.alongsidemom.com
linny

Post by linny »

AlongsideMom wrote: November 15th, 2020, 8:49 pm Good job getting this scanned! :clap: I will volunteer for the introductory chapters, sections 1, 2, & 3 :thumbs:
Thank you!
CandiceLandry

Post by CandiceLandry »

Hello! I'd like to claim sections 9-12.
CandiceLandry.com
putting the re- in research since 1998,
plus other adventures in science, art, life
linny

Post by linny »

CandiceLandry wrote: December 1st, 2020, 6:53 pm Hello! I'd like to claim sections 9-12.
Certainly! Please make sure your sound check (1 minute test) passes before you start recording. I'd hate for you to have to make major changes to a long section. :shock:

Here is your catalog page: https://librivox.org/reader/15067 Let me know if you want any changes made. It's easy to do. :D
CandiceLandry

Post by CandiceLandry »

linny wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 1:00 pm
CandiceLandry wrote: December 1st, 2020, 6:53 pm Hello! I'd like to claim sections 9-12.
Certainly! Please make sure your sound check (1 minute test) passes before you start recording. I'd hate for you to have to make major changes to a long section. :shock:

Will do ...Once I get the final clearance, I'll get started. Thanks!
CandiceLandry.com
putting the re- in research since 1998,
plus other adventures in science, art, life
AlongsideMom

Post by AlongsideMom »

Hello, Linny! I am updating my projects here and recording again after the end of last year got so busy! May I have a small 2-week extension on this, please? :D
Brooke Favorat
Homeschool mom of 5
www.alongsidemom.com
linny

Post by linny »

AlongsideMom wrote: January 14th, 2021, 9:48 am Hello, Linny! I am updating my projects here and recording again after the end of last year got so busy! May I have a small 2-week extension on this, please? :D
It's good to hear from you. Certainly a two week extension is fine.
rwhit070

Post by rwhit070 »

Hello. I would like to claim sections 4 and 5. These will be my first recordings for LibriVox. Thanks! Ruth Whitley
linny

Post by linny »

rwhit070 wrote: January 18th, 2021, 10:26 am Hello. I would like to claim sections 4 and 5. These will be my first recordings for LibriVox. Thanks! Ruth Whitley
Welcome Ruth! Sections 4 and 5 are all yours. Here is your catalog page: https://librivox.org/reader/15605 The 'Reader section details' link is a great way to keep track of your claims.

Please wait for the PL ok on your test recording before you start recording for the project.

Let me know if you have any questions along the way.
rwhit070

Post by rwhit070 »

Hi Linny,
I just uploaded my recordings for sections 4 and 5. Here is the info. Hopefully all will look good on your end. Thanks. Ruth

Section 4 - (6:43)
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/cmvol4.1_04_mason_128kb_.mp3

Section 5 - (5:00)
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/cmvol4.1_05_mason_128kb_.mp3
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Ruth. I have you in for PL. We don't have a DPL yet but I'm advertising. Hopefully we will get someone soon.
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Pl Notes for chapter 5:

Ruth, this was a joy to listen too and no major pl edits. you might want to remove a little bit of your outro silence though as there is around 7 seconds and should only be 5.

Linny - You have put the lengths of 4 and 5 the wrong way around in the window :)

(just helping out a little, I can't pick up anything else to DPL)
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

The above pl notes were actually for chapter 04.

PL notes for 5 are the same, though - there's a little too much silence at the end :)
linny

Post by linny »

Ruth, since you will be editing the ending silence, please correct the file name. You have an extra _ at the end. Thank you.