COMPLETE: Woman Suffrage and Politics by Carrie Chapman Catt and Nettie Rogers Shuler -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Ciufi wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 1:10 pm I would like to claim chapter 1, please.
Chapter 1 is yours, Ciufi. Thanks for claiming.
Jo
BeccaLewis

Post by BeccaLewis »

I would like to take Chapter 3, if I could, please?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Becca. Welcome to LibriVox.

I've signed you up for Chapter 3 of this book.

As this will be your first recording for Librivox, please have a look at the NewbieGuideToRecording and also read carefully through all the notes in the first post of this thread if you haven't already done so.

We also highly recommend that you send in a short test recording to check that all the technical requirements are good before recording a full chapter. 

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

I'll also need to know by what name you would like to be listed in the catalog. If you have a personal website, that can be linked as well.

Thanks!
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:28 am Sorry, I was hoping you hadn't started yet, but no need for a new intro. The section numbers are not in the intro/outro, just the Chapter. For the Foreward, I just said Title by Authors "Foreward." You can do the same with the Appendix. Just change the section number in the filename.
It's not marked as an appendix, is it? If you don't mind having it called "chapter 33" then I can just edit and upload it.
Also, the chapter numbers are now different from the section numbers/the filename - might be confusing for the readers as to what to say or do... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Availle wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 4:03 pm
knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:28 am Sorry, I was hoping you hadn't started yet, but no need for a new intro. The section numbers are not in the intro/outro, just the Chapter. For the Foreward, I just said Title by Authors "Foreward." You can do the same with the Appendix. Just change the section number in the filename.
It's not marked as an appendix, is it? If you don't mind having it called "chapter 33" then I can just edit and upload it.
Also, the chapter numbers are now different from the section numbers/the filename - might be confusing for the readers as to what to say or do... :wink:
I'm fine with Chapter 33. As for the differences between the chapter numbers and the section/filenames, that happens all the time when splitting up long chapters so I'm not too worried.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Chapter 32 (section 38) is in the MW ready for PL. :)
Jo
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 5:05 pm Chapter 32 (section 38) is in the MW ready for PL. :)
Chapter 32 is PL OK! Thank you!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks, Scarbo. :)
Jo
Nichalia

Post by Nichalia »

I'd like to read Chapter 7 - Politics After the War, please.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

7 is yours, Nichalia. Thanks!
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Here comes Chapter 33 / Appendix, with a runtime of 4:43:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/womansuffrage_33_catt_128kb.mp3

This was complicated, I understood half of it...
So you need to have a positive vote both in the House and in the Senate, right?
Then, why did it not go through in 1918 already?

And what does "yeas including pairs" mean?

Your system is so complicated... :?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks for your section, Ava.

The vote had to pass by a two thirds majority and it was short of that in the Senate in 1918.

yeas including pairs is a new one to me, but pairs are two members who are voting opposite to each other and are both going to be absent for the vote, who by mutual agreement are counted as a "pair" - or in other words cancel each other out.

I totally agree, it's a complicated system. Don't get me started on the Electoral College... :roll:
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, I see. I guess it needed 2/3 majority because it was a constitutional amendment?
If so, we have that too. Other laws pass with more than 50%.

Your elections are the reason I stopped buying the Time Magazine (Asia/Europe editions).
A full 2 years before the election date they started talking about the primaries. In full detail and 50% of the pages that were not reserved for ads. :roll: I get it, it's a US magazine, and your elections are important to expats. But you know, if people really are that interested in candidate #5 they have his favourite breakfast already memorised and will find anything else online instead of waiting for a two-week outdated update. :roll:

I'm still reading it on occasion, and newsweek too, but only for free in the library.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes, the 2/3 majority is needed for a constitutional amendment. After that it has to be ratified by 3/4 of the states before it becomes a new amendment. In 1919 that number was 36 since there were 48 states in the U.S. at that time.
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

*sigh*

But the senate - that's the senators of each state, no? Aren't they voting on behalf of their states?
Or is that ratification another direct vote by citizens?

That sounds like something that would happen in the EU, where every EU law has to be ratified by the states as well.
But I "think" that's just by a simple majority in the respective parliaments... :hmm:

Politics is difficult. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com