[PHILOSOPHY] Ontology, or the Theory of Being by Peter Coffey philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 13th, 2021, 1:28 am Since the original BC is not around anymore to make a decision, I was thinking of changing the PL level to Standard, instead of word perfect, which might boost the project's progress. What do you think, Phil?
Oh yes. I had not even noticed that and agree completely. Would you change it please?
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I had also forgotten about it until hgolds PL notes which were more detailed than they would have been for a standard PL.

So I have now changed it to Standard in the first post. :thumbs:

Hgolds, please acknowledge that you've seen this change in the PL level going forward. Thank you :)
hlgolds

Post by hlgolds »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 13th, 2021, 1:55 pm I had also forgotten about it until hgolds PL notes which were more detailed than they would have been for a standard PL.

So I have now changed it to Standard in the first post. :thumbs:

Hgolds, please acknowledge that you've seen this change in the PL level going forward. Thank you :)
10-4
Rolga

Post by Rolga »

Rolga wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 8:59 am
Rapunzelina wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 9:30 am Definitely! Thank you for claiming, Rolga! By what name would you like to be credited as a Reader in the catalogue?
Rolga is fine. thx :)
Section 7 , Pages 61 & 62 for first time review. Thx!
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ontologyorthetheoryofbeing_07_coffey_128kb.mp3
Rolga

Post by Rolga »

^^ video duration 6:36
ritzee44

Post by ritzee44 »

philchenevert wrote: July 12th, 2021, 10:44 pm
ritzee44 wrote: July 12th, 2021, 10:28 pm
ritzee44 wrote: May 28th, 2021, 11:28 pm

Thanks
Hi Rapunzelina,

Please find Section 11 for your review and feedback:

Length: 18:16
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ontologyorthetheoryofbeing_11_coffey_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Thank you.
My pleasure 😊
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Rolga wrote: July 14th, 2021, 5:13 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ontologyorthetheoryofbeing_07_coffey_128kb.mp3
Hi Rolga! Is this just part of the recording, because you'd like to check how you were doing before continuing? The complete section goes from page 61 to 69. (I'm asking without having listened because I can't download at the moment, so please excuse me if I'm mistaken :) )
hlgolds

Post by hlgolds »

hlgolds wrote: July 12th, 2021, 11:20 am
This is no easy read. It was very clear with excellent diction. Just a few things.

1:56 "Newton's" should be "Newman's."

8:16 "For it reaches by," should be "For it is reached by"

9:30--9:33 "To some idea," is repeated.

9:53 "Just as a man is not merely sentient being," should be, "Just as a man is not a merely sentient being."

10:45 Add "End quote," after "What makes us consider a colour beautiful." Remove "end quote" after "Which it pleases," at 10:51

13:33 Change, "The variety of subjective dispositions," to "This variety in ..."

15:00 Remove "Es" from "Non es disputandum."
Updated PL Notes

I know we aren't doing word perfect anymore, but perhaps 1:56 "Newton's" should be "Newman's." ought to be changed anyway given that it is an attribution. Up to you I guess.

Rolga

Post by Rolga »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 14th, 2021, 11:00 pm
Rolga wrote: July 14th, 2021, 5:13 pm
Hi Rolga! Is this just part of the recording, because you'd like to check how you were doing before continuing? The complete section goes from page 61 to 69. (I'm asking without having listened because I can't download at the moment, so please excuse me if I'm mistaken :) )
yes, apologies for not being more clear ;) this is a test run before reading the whole assignment. there are some issues I'll be working to fix but still wanted to get some feedback to be sure since this is my first one. :)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Rolga wrote: July 15th, 2021, 7:15 am yes, apologies for not being more clear ;) this is a test run before reading the whole assignment. there are some issues I'll be working to fix but still wanted to get some feedback to be sure since this is my first one.
I've had a listen now, and the reading is brilliant! Clear, easy to follow, relaxing even.

If you're worried about the background white noise, and thinking about using noise reduction, you can use the last 5 seconds of silence you'll leave at the end of the recording for the "Noise Profile". By "silence" we mean when the microphone keeps recording, while we have stopped reading. So the microphone will still catch the environmental room noise, and then you can use that as profile for the Noise Reduction.

I noticed you skipped the parentheses. These are still considered part of the text, so we need to include them in the recording in keeping with the "no changing the text" policy. I could suggest Google Translate for help in pronouncing some of those words, for example the Greek word μεταβολή: https://translate.google.com/?sl=el&tl=en&text=%CE%BC%CE%B5%CF%84%CE%B1%CE%B2%CE%BF%CE%BB%E1%BD%B5%0A&op=translate
You can hear the word by pressing the loud-speaker icon below the word. You can also ask for help with pronunciations in the forums, especially in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40285 It doesn't have to be perfect; just have fun with it! :D
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

hlgolds wrote: July 15th, 2021, 3:17 am
hlgolds wrote: July 12th, 2021, 11:20 am
This is no easy read. It was very clear with excellent diction. Just a few things.

1:56 "Newton's" should be "Newman's."

8:16 "For it reaches by," should be "For it is reached by"

9:53 "Just as a man is not merely sentient being," should be, "Just as a man is not a merely sentient being."

10:45 Add "End quote," after "What makes us consider a colour beautiful." Remove "end quote" after "Which it pleases," at 10:51

13:33 Change, "The variety of subjective dispositions," to "This variety in ..."

15:00 Remove "Es" from "Non es disputandum."
Updated PL Notes

I know we aren't doing word perfect anymore, but perhaps 1:56 "Newton's" should be "Newman's." ought to be changed anyway given that it is an attribution. Up to you I guess.

Many thanks for your deep listening!
I've been involved in painting the laundry room and cleaning out the garage (oh joy unconfined! :lol: ), so got to the conversation late - in time to see the final, final PL notes.

I did the majority of your initial suggested corrections: crediting Mr. NewMAN (Isaac gets plenty of mentions, he doesn't need another), removing the repetition at 9:30, re-recorded the phrase to say: "just as man is not merely a sentient being;" changed the location of the "unquote", and removed "es" at 15:00

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ontologyorthetheoryofbeing_22_coffey_128kb.mp3
Time: 22:25.67
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Owlivia!

Section 22 is Ready for Spot-PL and Section 11 is Ready for PL!
hlgolds

Post by hlgolds »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 16th, 2021, 1:53 am Thank you, Owlivia!

Section 22 is Ready for Spot-PL and Section 11 is Ready for PL!
Looks like I will be busy today :)
hlgolds

Post by hlgolds »

Section 22 PL OK
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, hgolds :9:
Don't feel you have to hurry with this project; for now it's a slow one.