[Politics/Philosophy]Enquiry Concerning Political Justice Vol.2- William Godwin-ag

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
williamjones

Post by williamjones » January 7th, 2021, 10:29 pm

Reece,

I pray to the gods that we're reading the same version. I use that text link which is quoted in the First Post and just read it straight off the screen, not choosing to have it reformatted into another ... format.
The title page says: J. watson, 5, Paul's Alley, Paternoster Row
As I said above, I just go to the linked document and scroll to the appropriate pages. No conversion to PDF, full text, kindle or stone tablet. The pages I use are PHOTOGRAPHIC images of the book's pages, with no OCRing involved as would be the case in the other formats.

It is after midnight here now. I'll take a look at the possible source differences you've mentioned in the morning. Might have to call in AMY to handle any discrepancies.

Thanks for your independent checking. That's good.
A Covalent bond yells at an ionic bond:
Hey, didn't anyone ever teach you to share?

ReeceT

Post by ReeceT » January 8th, 2021, 12:06 am

Hey William,

That's rather odd. I've just triple checked by clicking the main post link and only reading the main page photograph of the book: https://archive.org/details/enquiryconcernin02godwuoft/page/n3/mode/2up

I've just taken some screenshots of the photographed copy to show, only to discover this forum doesn't allow for picture uploads.

Just noting that it has been OCRd, indicating we might be on different books?

williamjones

Post by williamjones » January 8th, 2021, 4:29 am

In Re: Section 02

When OCR-ing takes place there will be some words/phrases which, tho clear and legible to our eyes, do not come across with all letters/characters faithful to the original; thus human interpretation and correction is required. I'm thinking that this necessary human interaction will give those humans an opportunity to choose differents words. That's why I, personally, choose to record from the photographic images of the text's pages. Our human eyes do a helluva lot better OCR interpretation than a computer program ever will.

BUT, that being said, it is now 6am here in Florida and the Coffee God is calling to me. Later this morning I'll try to suss out from where the discrepancies have arisen.

williamjones

Post by williamjones » January 8th, 2021, 4:33 am

ReeceT wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 12:06 am
Hey William,

That's rather odd. I've just triple checked by clicking the main post link and only reading the main page photograph of the book: https://archive.org/details/enquiryconcernin02godwuoft/page/n3/mode/2up

I've just taken some screenshots of the photographed copy to show, only to discover this forum doesn't allow for picture uploads.

Just noting that it has been OCRd, indicating we might be on different books?
Good morning Reece.
It is possible that a different copy of the book was OCRed. One can see that book found at the end of the link has poor contrast in many sections and appears to have the old "ligature" S characters which would drive and OCR program nuts.

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » January 8th, 2021, 8:09 am

Hi,
We are using this text: https://archive.org/details/enquiryconcernin02godwuoft/page/n3/mode/2up It is the 4th edition.
Bill verified the title page.
Please read from this one. You may have to read from the pdf or online version. Like Bill said text files have trouble transcribing books.

I did check one and see that it does say 08:13.5 "DRIVEN to despair"
rather than "REDUCED to despair"
in both the pdf and text file. I am not sure what is going on.

Bill would you mind double checking the file you are using. Sorry for the trouble. Godwin is a lot of trouble even from the grave!

Thanks,
-Amy

williamjones

Post by williamjones » January 8th, 2021, 8:34 am

alg1001 wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 8:09 am
Hi,
We are using this text: https://archive.org/details/enquiryconcernin02godwuoft/page/n3/mode/2up It is the 4th edition.
Please read from this one. You may have to read from the pdf or online version. Like Bill said text files have trouble transcribing books.

Bill would you mind double checking the file you are using. Sorry for the trouble. Godwin is a lot of trouble even from the grave!

Thanks,
-Amy
Sure, I'll check that "reduced" thing in a while. But, you'll have to tell me how to insert a small .jpg file into a project posting. Don't know how. Reece wants to know too. Hmmmm... that might be a good topic for an upcoming Librivox ZOOM tutorial soon.

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » January 8th, 2021, 8:45 am

I did it once for an Off Topic post. I was able to paste in a picture using imgur. My husband set it up for me so I can't tell you how. I guess that really is no help at all.

I'm staying out of the whole Zoom thing. I prefer to remain a faceless entity. :lol:

williamjones

Post by williamjones » January 8th, 2021, 9:04 am

williamjones wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 8:34 am
alg1001 wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 8:09 am
Hi,

Thanks,
-Amy
Sure, I'll check that "reduced" thing in a while. But, you'll have to tell me how to insert a small .jpg file into a project posting. Don't know how. Reece wants to know too. Hmmmm... that might be a good topic for an upcoming Librivox ZOOM tutorial soon.
Driven/Reduced: Got it!
I have found the (my :oops: ) error.
On page 5 of the original text is found
"driven to despair" but directly above these words is seen
"reduced to". So I committed a compound error in this case.
Very, very sorry. Mea maxima culpa.

I created a visual snippet of this location in the file. As soon as I learn how to embed a graphic, I'll shoot it to you both. Again: sorry to have wasted your time.

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » January 8th, 2021, 11:38 am

You don't have to show us a picture of it, Bill. We can see how it in the source text. Everyone makes mistakes. It's okay.

williamjones

Post by williamjones » January 9th, 2021, 12:02 pm

A little birdie gave me a hint on how to embed small images.
So here's a try:

Yaaay! it works. The link is to a google search of a facebook posting.

Using facebook is the easiest way to get an image up on the web with an assigned UR. It's not hard at all,

ReeceT

Post by ReeceT » January 12th, 2021, 7:48 pm

Okay, I worked out another way to embed photos.

Combination of uploading photo onto google photos, selecting the photo, right clicking the photo and using the 'copy link location' into an image tag in the forum.

Now, for the corrections. I have looked through the PF notes and made changes as followed. I have used the current photographed version of the book. Best to iron things out before doing another upload.

The following PFs were not accurate according to the version of the book I was using:

08:13.5 Head "DRIVEN to despair"
s/b "REDUCED to despair"
- No change needed. See picture #1

8:54 after "however..." omitted is "immutable in its own nature..."
- Need clarification. Cannot find

10:13 heard "munerous improvements" s/b infinite improvements"
- No change needed. See picture #2

10:17 omitted " in a long series of ages"
- Need clarification. Cannot find

10:17 heard "far" inserted between "and how FAR an enlightgened. European…"
- No change needed. See picture #3

11:31 heard "tortured and wrung with despair"
s/d "tortured and anatomifed by despair"
- No change needed. See picture #4

11:57 heard "vitrified" s/b "vitriolifed"
- No change needed. See picture #5

15:07 heard "ordinary mortals" s/b "common mortals"
- No change needed. See picture #6

17:04 heard "artificial" s/b "unnatural"
- No change needed. See picture #7

17:37 heard "for facts, when..." s/b "for fact, WHICH..."
- No change needed. See picture #8

17:57 heard "actuated" s/b "animated"
- No change needed. See picture #9

20:30 heard "calling" s/b "describing"
- No change needed. See picture #10

20:35 heard "proverbial propensity of Sanchez"
s/b " proverbial fertility of Sancho Panza himfelf"
- No change needed. See picture #11

21:51 heard "eight of age" s/b "eight YEARS of age"
- No change needed. See picture #12

The following PFs were correct and I will need to make changes for the next upload:

2:30 heard "dissERtion" s/b "DisCREtion" in the phrase "...should be administered with frugality and DISCRETION.

3:05 heard "uh-surpation" s/b usually "yew-surpatiion"

3:21 heard "let us THERE consider... " s/b "let us THEN consider...

4:45 heard "but THROUGH the exaggerated...."
s/b "but THOUGH the exaggerated...."

10:04 heard "suh-fear" should be "shpere"

14:25 heard "eh-gre-gar-ious"
s/b "Ee-gree-juss"

EDIT: Photo link broken for non Google users, now fixed
Last edited by ReeceT on January 13th, 2021, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » January 12th, 2021, 8:08 pm

That sounds good, Reece.
Thanks,
-Amy

williamjones

Post by williamjones » January 12th, 2021, 9:09 pm

Reece,

I've put in a good bit of time on this section and with the exception of that one instance, I don't see other places where my PL notes are incorrect. You've put in an enormous amount of time, for which I applaud you. I expect that your final product will be just fine. I'm not supposed to correct pronunciation in any case! I was bringing it to your attention so that you might refine it if you like... those decisions are for the most part up to the reader.

So, carry on! You have a wonderful voice.

beachedpeach

Post by beachedpeach » January 13th, 2021, 8:22 pm

Hi,
May I claim chapter XVI, the Causes of War?
Thanks
Timmy

ReeceT

Post by ReeceT » January 13th, 2021, 8:24 pm

Hi Amy and William,

Firstly, the photo I uploaded did not work on some computers. This has been fixed, and so above and you can see the 12 citations from photographic evidence of the book. Let me know if this does not work.

William, thanks for being thorough with the pronunciation. Despite this being standard reading level, I welcome your fine toothed comb in future chapters. As for the incorrect phrases, I have strong reason to suspect you had read off of a different version of the book then the one provided. We will see what happens in future PLs.

Here is the upload with the following edits:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/enquiry2_02_godwin_128kb.mp3
2:30 heard "dissERtion" s/b "DisCREtion" in the phrase "...should be administered with frugality and DISCRETION.

3:05 heard "uh-surpation" s/b usually "yew-surpatiion"

3:21 heard "let us THERE consider... " s/b "let us THEN consider...

4:45 heard "but THROUGH the exaggerated...."
s/b "but THOUGH the exaggerated...."

10:04 heard "suh-fear" should be "shpere"

14:25 heard "eh-gre-gar-ious"
s/b "Ee-gree-juss"
I did not make the other changes on account of it not matching the text link provided.

I may re record this one nearer to the end of the project once my recording technique improves. It's a little too clicky for my liking, but the best I can do for now. I will sign up for chapter III once this PL is cleared.