Complete [Politics/Philosophy]Enquiry Concerning Political Justice Vol.2- William Godwin-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HenRMJ

Post by HenRMJ »

Hello I was wondering if I could claim chapter 3 :)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

HenRMJ wrote: March 28th, 2021, 2:28 pm Hello I was wondering if I could claim chapter 3 :)
You sure can. 3 is yours.
Thanks,
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

williamjones wrote: March 27th, 2021, 6:15 pm
williamjones wrote: March 27th, 2021, 1:52 pm
Jddykst wrote: March 27th, 2021, 12:02 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/enquiry2_43_godwin_128kb.mp3

Section 43 submitted, at 11:13

(By the way, I'd re-submitted Section 42, hopefully with the problems resolved).

My BAD!! I didn't update the MW. Section 42 is PL OK!

Proofing of Section 43:

Here is a perfect example where Jim read from one source and I am PLing from another source:
PL Note:
1:12 heard: "I mean, the topic of pardons"
s/b "I mean, the subject of pardons"
Text page 781, in photo original, but page 199 in the PDF version are the places this text is found.
This is a great case of my supposition of some person editing a word that OCR mangled. The photographic image text has "fubjedt". So, some person proofing this page, selected "topic" for the photographic text. If *I* were looking at the OCRed text and wanted to replace the "fubjedt" with something, I might very well have inserted the word "topic", too, but more likely I would have inserted "subject".

On the PDF version, on page 199 I see: "evidence : I mean the topic of pardons."

Notice the large discrepancy in the original text page numbers!!! I believe that this indicates that the OCRing was done on a completely different book than that shown in the first page of the project.

Jim, Amy, There is a difference between the texts specified in the first page of the project and the other, OCRed version offered as "DOWNLOAD OPTIONS"

Here is what I see when PLing from that specified document on the first page
but I do NOT see this in the PDF download text.

So, I conclude that *JIM* read from the PDF B&W text, while *I* am proofing from the text specified in the first page.

We need a tie-breaker: Amy, Which text should I proof from: that specified in the "read only from this text" or from the version Jim read from? I'm going to stop proofing until the tie-break is broken.
Okay, Bill. Jim has the correct text.
https://archive.org/details/enquiryconcernin02godwuoft/page/n3/mode/2up
I did name the one you using as the source text in the beginning, when you were busy with your granddaughter. I prooflistened one of Jim's files, which he did an amazing job reading, and saw that it used the long s. Because the old versions are a nuisance to read I searched and found another source text that did not use the "long s". On December 12th the source text was updated. You took up prooflistening on January 7th so the source had been updated before then. I'm not sure how you wound up with the old one. So the confusion must be due to me changing the source, but it did happen before you were able to participate in the project so I don't know what happened there.
The one published in1842 is the source text.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

alg1001 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 5:31 am <snip>

I did name the one you using as the source text in the beginning, when you were busy with your granddaughter. I prooflistened one of Jim's files, which he did an amazing job reading, and saw that it used the long s. Because the old versions are a nuisance to read I searched and found another source text that did not use the "long s". On December 12th the source text was updated. You took up prooflistening on January 7th so the source had been updated before then. I'm not sure how you wound up with the old one. So the confusion must be due to me changing the source, but it did happen before you were able to participate in the project so I don't know what happened there.
Amy, Jim I apologize for muddying the waters but at least I have an explanation why I persisted in using the original "read only from this" text source. On 11/21/2020 I copied the original link into my personal "Godwin 2" project folder on my laptop. It has been from that link that I've been using the source text. I must have missed the alert that the original source had been changed.

I have replaced that Bad Ol' Link in my personal folder with the new one and the confusion will disappear, I hope. Again: I apologize for having caused the confusion in the first place. I'll resume proofing files later today, if that's OK.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
HenRMJ

Post by HenRMJ »

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thanks, HenRMJ!
-Amy
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

williamjones wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:36 am
alg1001 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 5:31 am <snip>

Amy, Jim I apologize for muddying the waters but at least I have an explanation why I persisted in using the original "read only from this" text source. On 11/21/2020 I copied the original link into my personal "Godwin 2" project folder on my laptop. It has been from that link that I've been using the source text. I must have missed the alert that the original source had been changed.

I have replaced that Bad Ol' Link in my personal folder with the new one and the confusion will disappear, I hope. Again: I apologize for having caused the confusion in the first place. I'll resume proofing files later today, if that's OK.
Sorry, Bill. I should have sent you a message about the change.
HenRMJ

Post by HenRMJ »

Hi! I was wondering if I could take section 45 :)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

HenRMJ wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:38 pm Hi! I was wondering if I could take section 45 :)
It's all yours.
Thanks!
-Amy
Jddykst

Post by Jddykst »

Bill and Amy, thanks for the clarification, sorry if I added to the confusion.
Jim D.

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow just as well -Mark Twain
Jddykst

Post by Jddykst »

May I try Section 46, please?
Jim D.

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow just as well -Mark Twain
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

That would be great, Jim. It's all yours.
Thanks!
-Amy
TrulyGreg

Post by TrulyGreg »

I would like to do part 16.

I would like to be credited as Magalie
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

TrulyGreg wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:26 am I would like to do part 16.

I would like to be credited as Magalie
Hi Magalie,
I signed you up for it. I strongly recommend you submit a one minute test in the Listeners Forum to check your tech specs before you record this.
Best,
-Amy
Hippias

Post by Hippias »

I'm a newbie, but I'd like to try out sections 4 and 5.

My name is Mark Anderson.