[COMPLETE] Book of Thousand Nights & a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 12-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Gillis wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:29 pm Where can we see the text?
Do you mean to read? It is near the top of the 1st page above the Magic Window where the Section assignments are.

Lynda
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Gillis wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:29 pm Where can we see the text?
As Lynda says, it's in the initial post, but buried in bullet point 4:
Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3446
Of course, someone intending to read part of this project will be going through those points item by item, so with luck it should be clear when they get that far!

These top posts are generated by a standard form, so you'll find the reference to the original text in the same place for every LibriVox project.
Gillis

Post by Gillis »

Thanks! I didn't read bullet point #4 closely enough. I'll take a look, and might be interested in taking a story.
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Attached is sections 30 and 31, with times of 18:18 and 18:45, respectively.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thousandnightsandanight12_30_anonymous_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thousandnightsandanight12_31_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Thanks, again, Paul, for linking me up with that 2S EQ software, which I had fun playing around with. I especially like how you could start the playback whilst fiddling with the settings so you can listen as you adjust. Not sure if I actually improved the quality, but I THINK i found a good mix, pleasant to listen to.

I see that sections 28 & 29 have opened up, I suppose for presumption of abandonment. Since the above are the last half of that same chapter, I'd like to read them, if still available (if only for continuity of voice and for me to hear the whole story).

Thanks,
Brize
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Attached is section 28, run time 18:42
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thousandnightsandanight12_28_anonymous_128kb.mp3

This story of Sitt Al-Milah, sort of an Arabian rock star of her time apparently, lute at the ready and breaking into song at intervals, got me thinking: what is the norm at Librivox for songs in books we read? Not that I could've sung these anyway, at least not without researching for the melodies (incl. some 'improvised' performances) but what about more accessible tunes? Is actual singing encouraged (or at least not discouraged)? Or is it pretty well read as poetry, as I ended up doing here?

Section 29 up next.

Thank you,
Brize
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

justforfun123 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 4:04 pm I have made the changes and have learned how to use punch and roll!
It makes life so much easier, doesn't it? :)

Section 76 is Spot PL OK.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

BrizeCrize wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 12:10 pm what is the norm at Librivox for songs in books we read?
I don't know if there's any official guidance (mightyfelix might have some comment on this), but I think there's merit in avoiding music because of potential rights issues - given our need to use Public Domain sources for everything, it becomes commensurately harder to be assured of that with music in the mix too.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

SkyRider wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:02 pm
BrizeCrize wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 12:10 pm what is the norm at Librivox for songs in books we read?
I don't know if there's any official guidance (mightyfelix might have some comment on this), but I think there's merit in avoiding music because of potential rights issues - given our need to use Public Domain sources for everything, it becomes commensurately harder to be assured of that with music in the mix too.
I heard previously from Carolin that music cannot be played due to copywrite infringements.

Lynda
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

We can allow music in a very few, and very particular, scenarios.

The best case is if you can find sheet music of the tune you want which has a clear publishing date of 1925 or earlier. Then you can include it, so long as you perform it yourself. A recording that you found of someone else's performance doesn't work, because people can and do copyright their own performances.

The other situation in which it is allowed (and even this is a bit fuzzy) is if you compose/improvise the tune yourself. I say that it's a bit fuzzy, because a) we only have your word for it (not that we don't trust our volunteers, but y'know :wink:) and b) because often people may believe that they're improvising a tune, when in reality they're rehashing a tune they heard somewhere without knowing it.

That being said, I've seen music used under both of these circumstances time and again. It definitely takes a bit more work, particularly if you're trying to find sheet music (which is certainly worth a try if you know the tune's name). But it's also up to the BC. There have been times when I, as a reader in another BC's project, have done my research and found good PD sheet music that I really really wanted to use. But I'll always check with the BC first, and if they don't want music, then I'm happy to file away that tune and move on. :)
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Sections 28,30 & 31 are PL OK. You're right - 28 and 29 had been abandoned.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Lmnei wrote: March 1st, 2021, 1:40 am Hi Chris -

Here is the balance of my recordings -
Hi Lynda...

I'm not sure who Chris is, but if we're easily mistaken then I'm sure he's a fine, upright person. :)

Sections 57, 58 and 61 are PL OK. :clap:

There's one correction for section 39 - at 1:28 "O suspicious king" should be "O auspicious king"

I've marked section 9 as PL OK, but depending on how much of a perfectionist you are there's a very obvious stumble around 9:10. If that bothers you, feel free to reupload an edited copy, but it doesn't affect the meaning of the piece.

Cheers,
Paul
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Ha, ha!

Sorry Paul! I got you mixed up with the BC of another book I am doing... his name is Chris! No, I am not trying to change your name.... REALLY!

Here are my corrections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thousandnightsandanight12_09_anonymous_128kb.mp3 - 9:34
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thousandnightsandanight12_39_anonymous_128kb.mp3 - 2:08

Have a great day PAUL! :thumbs:

Lynda
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Attached is section 29, which is my last on this volume. I'll be watching out for volume 13 to partake in some more Arabian action! Thanks for all the help!
Brize

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thousandnightsandanight12_29_anonymous_128kb.mp3 , Run time 24:31
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Lmnei wrote: March 7th, 2021, 4:53 am Here are my corrections:
Thanks, Lynda. Sections 9 and 39 are Spot PL OK.