[COMPLETE] Book of Thousand Nights & a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 12-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 12 by Anonymous ( - 0). Translated by Richard Francis Burton (1821 - 1890)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-book-of-the-thousand-nights-and-a-night-volume-12-by-anonymous/
This is a collection of stories collected over thousands of years by various authors, translators and scholars. They are an amalgam of mythology and folk tales from the Indian sub-continent, Persia, and Arabia. No original manuscript has ever been found, but several versions date the collection’s genesis to somewhere between AD 800-900. The stories are wound together under the device of a long series of cliff-hangers told by Shahrazad to her husband Shahryar, to prevent him from executing her. Many tales that have become independently famous come from the Book, among them Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, and the voyages of Sinbad the Sailor. This collection comes from the twelfth of sixteen volumes translated by Richard Francis Burton; the first half of this volume consists of Burton's translations and the second half a commentary on volumes 11 & 12 of the Tales by W.A. Coulson. ( )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3446
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 12. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        " The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 12, by Anonymous. Translated by Richard Francis Burton Section [Section number] [Title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [Section number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 12, by Anonymous. Translated by Richard Francis Burton"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      thousandnightsandanight12_##_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. thousandnightsandanight12_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Anonymous
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 12

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by SkyRider on January 11th, 2021, 2:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Well, as I seem to have inherited this project I may as well get on with populating the MW for the next volume. :) I'll DPL this myself.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll set it up for you. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, all set. Let me know if you run into problems.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Thank you! Time to dig the word-count tool out of hibernation...
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

If you are open for claims I will take sections 4 and 5 please 😺
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

alanmapstone wrote: September 12th, 2020, 6:40 pm If you are open for claims I will take sections 4 and 5 please 😺
Sure - I was still in two minds as to whether to combine the smaller sections but I guess this cements the structure a bit.

Cheers,
Paul
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

SkyRider wrote: September 13th, 2020, 2:21 am
alanmapstone wrote: September 12th, 2020, 6:40 pm If you are open for claims I will take sections 4 and 5 please 😺
Sure - I was still in two minds as to whether to combine the smaller sections but I guess this cements the structure a bit.
Let me know if you change your mind. No problem 😺
Alan
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi there!

Can I please have 2, 6, 10-13. 16, 26 and 27 please?

Many thanks!

Lynda
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Hi Lynda...
Lmnei wrote: September 15th, 2020, 6:06 am Can I please have 2, 6, 10-13. 16, 26 and 27 please?
Could I ask you to keep the number of claims small until this is launched, please? I'm still finalising how I'm carving the book up and merging and demerging sections will become more complex the more passages people are reading, particularly the small ones.

Cheers,
Paul
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

SkyRider wrote: September 15th, 2020, 11:54 am Hi Lynda...
Lmnei wrote: September 15th, 2020, 6:06 am Can I please have 2, 6, 10-13. 16, 26 and 27 please?
Could I ask you to keep the number of claims small until this is launched, please? I'm still finalising how I'm carving the book up and merging and demerging sections will become more complex the more passages people are reading, particularly the small ones.

Cheers,
Paul
Hi Paul - for me this is a small claim :)

What would you suggest? I am happy to record whichever ones you want me to record.

Lynda
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Perhaps it would be best for everyone to wait until the MW is complete before any more claims come in. :)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

mightyfelix wrote: September 15th, 2020, 4:31 pm Perhaps it would be best for everyone to wait until the MW is complete before any more claims come in. :)
Perhaps I should withdraw my claim until you have the structure finalised. I may have rather jumped the gun 😺
Alan
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

I am happy to do that too!

Perhaps you can let Alan and I know though before you go public so we can re-claim?

Thanks -

Lynda
DickBD

Post by DickBD »

Hi

I hope this is not confusing ... but because these are short, I would be pleased to claim
any of the following ... 2, 3,6,10.11.12.13.14.15.16.17 - noting that some of these were previously cited
in posts by others ...

So ... please feel to assign the residue to me when and as appropriate..

Cheers

Dick Bourgeois-Doyle