PHILOSOPHY] Essays of Schopenhauer by Arthur Schopenhauer-Leni

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
shreyasethi
Posts: 314
Joined: May 31st, 2020, 12:28 am

Post by shreyasethi » October 10th, 2020, 4:47 am

djblackett wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 6:28 am
I can do section 23: Physiognomy
Sure!!! Thanks so much for claiming, I've assigned the section to you :D
-SS

djblackett
Posts: 24
Joined: September 19th, 2019, 6:37 am
Location: Canada

Post by djblackett » October 10th, 2020, 6:49 am

shreyasethi wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 4:47 am
djblackett wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 6:28 am
I can do section 23: Physiognomy
Sure!!! Thanks so much for claiming, I've assigned the section to you :D
-SS
I considered On Suicide because it was shorter, but the untranslated Greek and Latin is a pain. Back in my university days, I learned New Testament Greek (Koine) with the Erasmian pronunciation, which is supposedly closer to the ancient pronunciation but anathema to modern Greeks. Is that pronunciation fine for librivox? I don't imagine many native Greeks will be listening to an English book on Schopenhauer...

I never formally studied Latin but I can pronounce it the way Italians do, which is basically the church Latin way. I don't want to commit to anything yet other than 23, but if I have time and no else volunteers, perhaps it could happen..

gondola
Posts: 90
Joined: August 22nd, 2019, 1:46 pm

Post by gondola » October 10th, 2020, 9:55 am

Hello

Section one's here:-

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/essaysofschopenhauer_01_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3 (10:03)

(I downloaded section 9 a while ago :) )

Florence

shreyasethi
Posts: 314
Joined: May 31st, 2020, 12:28 am

Post by shreyasethi » October 10th, 2020, 9:03 pm

djblackett wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 6:49 am
shreyasethi wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 4:47 am
djblackett wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 6:28 am
I can do section 23: Physiognomy
Sure!!! Thanks so much for claiming, I've assigned the section to you :D
-SS
I considered On Suicide because it was shorter, but the untranslated Greek and Latin is a pain. Back in my university days, I learned New Testament Greek (Koine) with the Erasmian pronunciation, which is supposedly closer to the ancient pronunciation but anathema to modern Greeks. Is that pronunciation fine for librivox? I don't imagine many native Greeks will be listening to an English book on Schopenhauer...

I never formally studied Latin but I can pronounce it the way Italians do, which is basically the church Latin way. I don't want to commit to anything yet other than 23, but if I have time and no else volunteers, perhaps it could happen..
Honestly, don't worry about it, feel free to pronounce it the way you're most comfortable pronouncing. If you think that you cannot, that's okay too because I'm sure there are readers for foreign languages who can do it for your section. Reading, and by extension recording, is for fun. Please don't worry too much about it and enjoy yourself!!!
-SS

shreyasethi
Posts: 314
Joined: May 31st, 2020, 12:28 am

Post by shreyasethi » October 10th, 2020, 9:04 pm

gondola wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 9:55 am
Hello

Section one's here:-

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/essaysofschopenhauer_01_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3 (10:03)

(I downloaded section 9 a while ago :) )

Florence
Thanks a lot Florence, I've updated the MW. :D
-SS

KevinS
Posts: 10201
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 21st, 2020, 2:36 pm

gondola wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 9:55 am
Hello

Section one's here:-

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/essaysofschopenhauer_01_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3 (10:03)

(I downloaded section 9 a while ago :) )

Florence
gondola wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 10:00 am
Hello

May I claim sections 9 and 10 please?

Florence
Both sections 1 and 9 are very well read. All that is needed is to add one-half second of silence to each recording's opening. It seems a small matter, I know, but it is necessary for technical reasons.

Section 10 has already been marked PL OK!

shreyasethi
Posts: 314
Joined: May 31st, 2020, 12:28 am

Post by shreyasethi » October 21st, 2020, 11:51 pm

KevinS wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 2:36 pm
gondola wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 9:55 am
Hello

Section one's here:-

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/essaysofschopenhauer_01_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3 (10:03)

(I downloaded section 9 a while ago :) )

Florence
gondola wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 10:00 am
Hello

May I claim sections 9 and 10 please?

Florence
Both sections 1 and 9 are very well read. All that is needed is to add one-half second of silence to each recording's opening. It seems a small matter, I know, but it is necessary for technical reasons.

Section 10 has already been marked PL OK!
Thanks Kevin!


djblackett
Posts: 24
Joined: September 19th, 2019, 6:37 am
Location: Canada

Post by djblackett » October 24th, 2020, 11:05 am

I have a question about the Physiognomy chapter. There is a phrase - "arrjt irrevocable," which is throwing me for a loop. Google translate suggests that maybe it is a typo of the French "arrêt irrévocable," but maybe someone else more familiar with Schopenhauer or just this text, in general, has some thoughts?

The full sentence is:
"For on his face, regarded in and by itself, is indicated the ground tone of all his thoughts and efforts, the arrjt irrevocable of his future, and of which he is only conscious when alone."

KevinS
Posts: 10201
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 24th, 2020, 12:40 pm

djblackett wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 11:05 am
I have a question about the Physiognomy chapter. There is a phrase - "arrjt irrevocable," which is throwing me for a loop. Google translate suggests that maybe it is a typo of the French "arrêt irrévocable," but maybe someone else more familiar with Schopenhauer or just this text, in general, has some thoughts?

The full sentence is:
"For on his face, regarded in and by itself, is indicated the ground tone of all his thoughts and efforts, the arrjt irrevocable of his future, and of which he is only conscious when alone."
It is a typographical error. It is the French.

djblackett
Posts: 24
Joined: September 19th, 2019, 6:37 am
Location: Canada

Post by djblackett » October 24th, 2020, 12:50 pm

KevinS wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 12:40 pm
djblackett wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 11:05 am
I have a question about the Physiognomy chapter. There is a phrase - "arrjt irrevocable," which is throwing me for a loop. Google translate suggests that maybe it is a typo of the French "arrêt irrévocable," but maybe someone else more familiar with Schopenhauer or just this text, in general, has some thoughts?

The full sentence is:
"For on his face, regarded in and by itself, is indicated the ground tone of all his thoughts and efforts, the arrjt irrevocable of his future, and of which he is only conscious when alone."
It is a typographical error. It is the French.
Ah, c'est bon! Merci beaucoup

DomFord
Posts: 9
Joined: June 22nd, 2020, 1:21 am

Post by DomFord » October 26th, 2020, 12:56 pm


shreyasethi
Posts: 314
Joined: May 31st, 2020, 12:28 am

Post by shreyasethi » October 27th, 2020, 4:44 am

DomFord wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 12:56 pm
Here's section 12!

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/essaysofschopenhauer_12_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3 (08:39)
Hi thanks a lot, MW has been updated.

djblackett
Posts: 24
Joined: September 19th, 2019, 6:37 am
Location: Canada

Post by djblackett » October 27th, 2020, 1:04 pm


shreyasethi
Posts: 314
Joined: May 31st, 2020, 12:28 am

Post by shreyasethi » October 27th, 2020, 8:42 pm

djblackett wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 1:04 pm
Here is section 23:
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/essaysofschopenhauer_23_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3
runtime: 21:36
YAY THANK YOU MW has been updated. :D

Post Reply