COMPLETE [PHILOSOPHY] Essays of Schopenhauer by Arthur Schopenhauer-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/essays-of-schopenhauer-by-arthur-schopenhauer/

Essays of Schopenhauer by Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860). Translated by Sara Hay Dircks

Schopenhauer is considered to be one of the most influential philosophers of all times. Many of his ideas and quotes have been quoted largely and have now become almost commonplace. The essays in this collection and a proof of his breakthrough contributions to Reason, Logic, Progress and Linguistics. (Summary by shreyasethi)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11945
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

This project has a dedicated proof-listener who will listen to all sections: KevinS

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Essays of Schopenhauer. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Essays of Schopenhauer, by Arthur Schopenhauer. Translated by Sara Hay Dircks [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Essays of Schopenhauer, by Arthur Schopenhauer. Translated by Sara Hay Dircks"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      essaysofschopenhauer_##_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. essaysofschopenhauer_01_schopenhauer_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Ignore ID3 tags.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by shreyasethi on September 27th, 2020, 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello! I can MC this one for you. Be right back with the window.
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Window is in place. :D Feel free to fill it in. As you will notice, I have made a few changes in the first post, but I also have a couple of questions:

1) Was the summary written by you? Just making sure, since it was not entered in the system, only here in the thread.

2) I have looked it up but didn't have much luck, maybe you can find it: dates for birth and death of the translator. I found out her name, but not much else. It doesn't matter for readers in the US, but if she had a long life, the book could be not PD in other countries, since it was published in 1892. So it is nice to have the dates for the translator as well, if we can find them.

3)Since this is a collection of essays, how do you wish the intro/outro of each file to be? The default, which you have in the first post, is "Chapter [number]". But in this case they are not really chapters, so, you could go for "Section". And then I suppose the title of the Essay? The instructions in the first post should be exactly how readers should read it, so there is no inconsistency between sections.

That's it I think. I will leave this post here while you fill in the window and maybe we can find a PLer, before we move to Readers Wanted. :D
Leni
=================
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

Leni wrote: August 30th, 2020, 5:18 pm Window is in place. :D Feel free to fill it in. As you will notice, I have made a few changes in the first post, but I also have a couple of questions:

1) Was the summary written by you? Just making sure, since it was not entered in the system, only here in the thread.

2) I have looked it up but didn't have much luck, maybe you can find it: dates for birth and death of the translator. I found out her name, but not much else. It doesn't matter for readers in the US, but if she had a long life, the book could be not PD in other countries, since it was published in 1892. So it is nice to have the dates for the translator as well, if we can find them.

3)Since this is a collection of essays, how do you wish the intro/outro of each file to be? The default, which you have in the first post, is "Chapter [number]". But in this case they are not really chapters, so, you could go for "Section". And then I suppose the title of the Essay? The instructions in the first post should be exactly how readers should read it, so there is no inconsistency between sections.

That's it I think. I will leave this post here while you fill in the window and maybe we can find a PLer, before we move to Readers Wanted. :D
Hi Leni
Thank you so much for MC-ing. Yeah I wrote the summary and I've added that to the post and also replaced Chapter with Section :)
As for the translator, I really couldn't find a lot about her from a reliable source but I'll keep looking.
Thanks a lot
-SS
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Great! Thanks!
Leni
=================
julianz

Post by julianz »

Can I claim section 3 "ON AUTHORSHIP AND STYLE Part 1"?

Thanks!
julianz

Post by julianz »

Actually it makes more sense to claim 3 & 4 together as this is just one continuous chapter.

Please put me down for both.
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

julianz wrote: September 1st, 2020, 3:19 pm Actually it makes more sense to claim 3 & 4 together as this is just one continuous chapter.

Of course! Thank you so much for claiming both the sections!!!
-SS
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

shreyasethi wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 2:51 am
julianz wrote: September 1st, 2020, 3:19 pm Actually it makes more sense to claim 3 & 4 together as this is just one continuous chapter.

Of course! Thank you so much for claiming both the sections!!! Would you like your catalog name to be Julianz or something else?
-SS
julianz

Post by julianz »

Great! Please catalog under my full name Julian Brown. Thank you!
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

julianz wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 11:27 am Great! Please catalog under my full name Julian Brown. Thank you!
I've assigned the sections to you, so you can start working on them!!!
Thanks a lot for claiming them!
-SS
gondola

Post by gondola »

Hello

May I claim sections 9 and 10 please?

Florence
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

gondola wrote: September 4th, 2020, 10:00 am Hello

May I claim sections 9 and 10 please?

Florence

Hi of course I've assigned the sections to you! have fun!!
-SS
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Claim sections 7, 8, and 11 please.
Signature: KATHLEEN
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

2839reader wrote: September 6th, 2020, 6:16 pm Claim sections 7, 8, and 11 please.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CLAIMING!!!!! I've assigned the sections to you! HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
-SS