[NOVEL] The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence - tg

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Post Reply
KevinS
Posts: 9357
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 17th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Howard76 wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Hi Shreya,
Here's a little sample of Section 23 for you. Hopefully it will illustrate my strange 'clicking' issue!
Howard

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/rainbow_23_lawrence_128kb.mp3
I'll be doing the PL of your recording and I want to assure you the sound is good and that in your clip you provided us, I heard only one slight 'click.' It really is a natural part of anyone's recording and gives a human quality, I think, to one's work. If you want to cut it out, it isn't hard to find, but, again, it is absolutely fine.

My sight is failing with age, but not my hearing (Touch wood.) In my misspent youth I listened to orchestras rather than rock bands.
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

Howard76
Posts: 13
Joined: June 7th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Post by Howard76 » November 18th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Hi Kevin,
Thanks very much indeed for your feedback. Hugely appreciated. I'm just pleased that I figured out what the issue was!
Howard

Howard76
Posts: 13
Joined: June 7th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Post by Howard76 » November 18th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Hi Shreya,
Thanks very much indeed for getting back to me. The click's not so noticeable through speakers, but on the headphones it annoys the hell out of me. I'll see if I can up my noise-reducing game a bit. In the meantime I'll just try to maintain a healthy 'good reading' to 'click' ratio!
Howard

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 48194
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » November 18th, 2020, 4:05 pm

You can also highlight the clicks and use the DeClicker plugin effect on them. I use it a lot!
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52753

Basically, download the plug in and dump it in your Audacity plugins folder. Then activate it in Audacity.

Some people use it on their entire file, but I find it also will take out legitimate clicks (K and T sounds) if one isn't careful, and it also takes a long time to run on an entire file.
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

KevinS
Posts: 9357
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 18th, 2020, 9:43 pm

roboro wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 2:32 pm
Section 45 Chapter XiV Part 2 is done:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/rainbow_45_lawrence_128kb.mp3

rainbow_45_lawrence_128kb.mp3
15:35.68 (m:ss.ss)
PL OK!
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

KevinS
Posts: 9357
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 18th, 2020, 9:44 pm

roboro wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 4:40 am
Section 44 Chapter XIV Part 1 is done:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/rainbow_44_lawrence_128kb.mp3

rainbow_44_lawrence_128kb.mp3

18:34.28 (m:ss.ss)
PL OK!
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

LCair6
Posts: 10
Joined: September 25th, 2020, 7:52 am

Post by LCair6 » November 19th, 2020, 4:37 am

KevinS wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 5:14 pm
LCair6 wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 5:08 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/rainbow_19_lawrence_128kb.mp3
Hi, I have uploaded my section . It is 16.9 secs long.
Section is 19, Chapter 6, part 5.
best wishes
Lorraine
Wonderful job! PL OK! (it is a bit loud, though, but that might be rectified during the cataloging process.)
Hi Kevin,
thank you ! I did have issues because my initial recording wasn't loud enough so had to play around with it . If it is not acceptable I can re- record it . I am not experienced in editing so getting the recording levels correct was a bit of a challenge ...
best wishes
Lorraine

KevinS
Posts: 9357
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 19th, 2020, 5:25 am

LCair6 wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 4:37 am
KevinS wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 5:14 pm
LCair6 wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 5:08 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/rainbow_19_lawrence_128kb.mp3
Hi, I have uploaded my section . It is 16.9 secs long.
Section is 19, Chapter 6, part 5.
best wishes
Lorraine
Wonderful job! PL OK! (it is a bit loud, though, but that might be rectified during the cataloging process.)
Hi Kevin,
thank you ! I did have issues because my initial recording wasn't loud enough so had to play around with it . If it is not acceptable I can re- record it . I am not experienced in editing so getting the recording levels correct was a bit of a challenge ...
best wishes
Lorraine
Not to worry. It's not so loud as to be out of bounds. Again, great job!
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

Howard76
Posts: 13
Joined: June 7th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Post by Howard76 » November 19th, 2020, 11:45 am

Hi Tricia,
Thanks for the info about the DeClicker. I'll give it a go!
Howard

KevinS
Posts: 9357
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 19th, 2020, 6:21 pm

shreyasethi wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 9:49 pm
PetalPop04 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 6:35 pm
I just uploaded my recording to the uploader! Let me know if you have received the upload or not. I will paste the link below. The file was 21 minutes, 27 seconds long. Have a nice evening!
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/rainbow_38_lawrence_128kb.mp3

:thumbs:
HIIIIII THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE UPLOAD!!!!! I've updated the MW :D
-SS
PetalPop04, welcome! I'm going to ask shreyasethi to PL your Section 38. (I thought you had claimed Section 32 incidentally.) I believe you would benefit from first taking the one-minute test described in the LV instructional information provided in your welcome e-mail. It's really the best start for anyone new to LibriVox.

Your content seems fine, but the sound quality could be improved, in my opinion. shreyasethi will have to decide that. One thing that must be done is to re-upload your recording with a constant bit rate of 128 kbps.
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

KevinS
Posts: 9357
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 19th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Scarbo wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 8:36 pm
Here's section 37: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/rainbow_37_lawrence_128kb.mp3
24:25

Shreya, thank you so much for your understanding about my needing an extension! I was happy to have a chance to get my recording to a quality level that I could live with. :mrgreen:
All fine except for a possible repeat at 3:33. Would you please let me know.
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

Scarbo
Posts: 128
Joined: April 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Post by Scarbo » November 20th, 2020, 2:58 am

KevinS wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 7:34 pm
Scarbo wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 8:36 pm
Here's section 37: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/rainbow_37_lawrence_128kb.mp3
24:25

Shreya, thank you so much for your understanding about my needing an extension! I was happy to have a chance to get my recording to a quality level that I could live with. :mrgreen:
All fine except for a possible repeat at 3:33. Would you please let me know.
Oh, that's actually in the text.

KevinS
Posts: 9357
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 20th, 2020, 5:21 am

Scarbo wrote:
November 20th, 2020, 2:58 am
Oh, that's actually in the text.
I thought it might be! PL OK!
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

LCair6
Posts: 10
Joined: September 25th, 2020, 7:52 am

Post by LCair6 » November 20th, 2020, 8:26 am

Hi there, now that I've got my first recording under my belt, please can I volunteer for Section 20: Chapter 6 Part 6?
thanks
Lorraine

Scarbo
Posts: 128
Joined: April 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Post by Scarbo » November 20th, 2020, 3:14 pm

KevinS wrote:
November 20th, 2020, 5:21 am
Scarbo wrote:
November 20th, 2020, 2:58 am
Oh, that's actually in the text.
I thought it might be! PL OK!
Thanks! I could change the inflection on that phrase so that it sounds less like a mistake to listeners, but I'll leave that up to you as to whether it would be necessary.

Post Reply