[Complete] The Theory of the Theatre, and Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism by Clayton Hamilton - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

thestorygirl wrote: August 9th, 2020, 8:08 pm Hi,
Could I read 13, 14, 19 and 21?
:D
I'm expecting to learn from this one!
All yours! Many thanks!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Great find!
May I read sections 11 and 20?
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

silverquill wrote: August 9th, 2020, 11:09 pm Great find!
May I read sections 11 and 20?
Absolutely! I'll sign you up - thanks!!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

May I claim section 2, The Psychology of Theater Audiences?

Owlivia/ Deborah
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Owlivia wrote: August 10th, 2020, 1:09 am May I claim section 2, The Psychology of Theater Audiences?

Owlivia/ Deborah
Consider it yours! Thank you!!

OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

I hope this doesn't run afoul of any of you kind folks who've already made claims, but despite discussing earlier in the thread with our wonderful MC, I'm realizing that I may not have been entirely clear regarding the handling of chapter numbers for this project.

Personally, I think it would be easiest & most clear if we use the chapter numbers as they appear in the MW, rather than necessarily as they are numbered in the text itself. For example, that way the section titled "Dramatic Art and the Theatre Business" would be recorded as Chapter 10 of the project as a whole, rather than a second Chapter 2. When I record Chapter 9, I will also introduce it as the beginning of Section 2 - Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism.

I hope this makes sense, and is indeed the most user-friendly way to go about this - both for readers & the eventual listeners. That said, this is my first project as BC and thus the first time I've had to make this kind of call. If anyone feels that there's a better approach I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again folks - this is shaping up to be a fun one :mrgreen:

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OooThatsNifty wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:03 am I hope this doesn't run afoul of any of you kind folks who've already made claims, but despite discussing earlier in the thread with our wonderful MC, I'm realizing that I may not have been entirely clear regarding the handling of chapter numbers for this project.

Personally, I think it would be easiest & most clear if we use the chapter numbers as they appear in the MW, rather than necessarily as they are numbered in the text itself. For example, that way the section titled "Dramatic Art and the Theatre Business" would be recorded as Chapter 10 of the project as a whole, rather than a second Chapter 2. When I record Chapter 9, I will also introduce it as the beginning of Section 2 - Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism.

I hope this makes sense, and is indeed the most user-friendly way to go about this - both for readers & the eventual listeners. That said, this is my first project as BC and thus the first time I've had to make this kind of call. If anyone feels that there's a better approach I'd love to hear your thoughts.

You can edit the first post if need be, to make this instruction clearer. You could also use "section #" instead of "chapter #".
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Lynnet wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:15 am You can edit the first post if need be, to make this instruction clearer. You could also use "section #" instead of "chapter #".
Good call - I planned to update the first post, but figured I'd let it sit briefly just incase there was any kind of wild dissent to my approach :wink:

I think we'll stick with "chapter" rather than "section", as that's the term the author himself uses in the preface. I'll save "section" to differentiate between the two parts.

Thanks again!

Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

OooThatsNifty wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:03 am I hope this doesn't run afoul of any of you kind folks who've already made claims, but despite discussing earlier in the thread with our wonderful MC, I'm realizing that I may not have been entirely clear regarding the handling of chapter numbers for this project.

Right-o, I see what you're saying. This makes sense from a listener's standpoint. It is actually two books in a single volume: TTotT and OPoDC.

What if we acknowledge the sub-headings within the book in our intro's?
E.g., "Section 'n' of The Theory of the Theatre, and Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism,
book subhead, [e.g., Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism],
chapter 'n'."

Thanks for finding this and undertaking such an exciting project!
:clap:
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

:shock:
Ooops. Looks like you didn't need my "help" in resolving this.

:mrgreen:

Owlivia/Deborah
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Owlivia wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:38 am :shock:
Ooops. Looks like you didn't need my "help" in resolving this.

:mrgreen:

Owlivia/Deborah
I definitely appreciate the input though!

I think just for the sake of ease & consistency, let's go with the full title & the chapter numbers as they appear in the MW.

Top post in the thread has been updated accordingly.

VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

Could I have chapters 6, 7, and 8?

Also, how should the excerpt from "The Duchess of Malfi" in chapter 7 be handled? Should the character names be read out, or should it be acted out with different voices (or is it reader's choice)?
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

VocalPenguin wrote: August 12th, 2020, 6:33 pm Could I have chapters 6, 7, and 8?

Also, how should the excerpt from "The Duchess of Malfi" in chapter 7 be handled? Should the character names be read out, or should it be acted out with different voices (or is it reader's choice)?
6, 7 and 8 are all yours, VocalPenguin! Love the forum handle, by the way.

For the sake of the listener's clarity, I'd suggest reading the character names for each line as it is such a short excerpt. As far as whether or not it should be acted out - I'll leave that up to you 8-)

Thanks for claiming!

Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Wow. Fascinating! Thanks for letting me do this one. :)

Chapter 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_02_hamilton_128kb.mp3

run time: 44:10

Owlivia/Deborah
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Owlivia wrote: August 14th, 2020, 9:38 pm Wow. Fascinating! Thanks for letting me do this one. :)

Chapter 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_02_hamilton_128kb.mp3

run time: 44:10

Owlivia/Deborah
Wonderful, thank you! I've added it to the MW and should have a chance to PL within the next day or two :D