[COMPLETE] Black'erchief Dick by Margery Allingham-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

deLorinel wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 8:58 am Uploaded chapter 3, ready for listening. Will begin chapter 2.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/blackerchiefdick_03_allingham_128kb.mp3
Sorry for the delay in PL'ing this. Life got in the way and I didn't have access to an actual computer.

Chapter 3 is PL OK! The performance in this one was great! So many unique and interesting character voices! :clap:

I do have one small and nitpicky comment though: in the beginning intro, you say "Chapter number 3 of Black'erchief Dick". The "number" isn't necessary, and generally readers will just say "Chapter 3 of Black'erchief Dick". This is not something that needs to be fixed for this file, it's just something to keep in mind for future chapters.

I look forward to hearing what you do for chapter 2!
deLorinel

Post by deLorinel »

VocalPenguin wrote: October 6th, 2020, 5:09 pm I do have one small and nitpicky comment though: in the beginning intro, you say "Chapter number 3 of Black'erchief Dick". The "number" isn't necessary, and generally readers will just say "Chapter 3 of Black'erchief Dick". This is not something that needs to be fixed for this file, it's just something to keep in mind for future chapters.
Are you sure? Cutting one word wouldn't take much effort.

I've got the rough recording done for 2, will take some time over the next couple days smoothing it. Once it's uploaded, would it be too greedy to work on other chapters? This is a lively little story.
VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

deLorinel wrote: October 6th, 2020, 10:27 pm
VocalPenguin wrote: October 6th, 2020, 5:09 pm I do have one small and nitpicky comment though: in the beginning intro, you say "Chapter number 3 of Black'erchief Dick". The "number" isn't necessary, and generally readers will just say "Chapter 3 of Black'erchief Dick". This is not something that needs to be fixed for this file, it's just something to keep in mind for future chapters.
You are certainly welcome to fix it if you so choose, and it would be appreciated. What I meant was simply that it isn't something that needs to be fixed in this file if you would prefer to move on to something else.
deLorinel wrote: I've got the rough recording done for 2, will take some time over the next couple days smoothing it. Once it's uploaded, would it be too greedy to work on other chapters? This is a lively little story.
It certainly would not be too greedy to work on other chapters. You are free to sign up for as many chapters as you want in any book on LibriVox. The only real rule, as far as I'm aware, is that you need to finish a recording within 2 months of signing up for it, so you shouldn't sign up for more than you can do in 2 months. Go ahead and record as many chapters as you want/can! :thumbs:

That said, this is mleigh's project, so they have final say if for some reason they disagree with the rules as I've described here.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

VocalPenguin wrote: October 7th, 2020, 6:28 am
deLorinel wrote: October 6th, 2020, 10:27 pm
You are certainly welcome to fix it if you so choose, and it would be appreciated. What I meant was simply that it isn't something that needs to be fixed in this file if you would prefer to move on to something else.
deLorinel wrote: I've got the rough recording done for 2, will take some time over the next couple days smoothing it. Once it's uploaded, would it be too greedy to work on other chapters? This is a lively little story.
It certainly would not be too greedy to work on other chapters. You are free to sign up for as many chapters as you want in any book on LibriVox. The only real rule, as far as I'm aware, is that you need to finish a recording within 2 months of signing up for it, so you shouldn't sign up for more than you can do in 2 months. Go ahead and record as many chapters as you want/can! :thumbs:

That said, this is mleigh's project, so they have final say if for some reason they disagree with the rules as I've described here.

I certainly have no problem with you reading more chapters. I am glad you are enjoying reading it. Just let me know what chapters you would like.

Thanks,

M
deLorinel

Post by deLorinel »

VocalPenguin wrote: October 7th, 2020, 6:28 am You are certainly welcome to fix it if you so choose, and it would be appreciated. What I meant was simply that it isn't something that needs to be fixed in this file if you would prefer to move on to something else.

Exactly the same file, with the single word cut, but you might want to give it a listen anyway.

Started editing chapter 2, and wouldn't you know it, I did exactly the same thing there, too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've come accross a number of readers who always say "chapter number 3" and vary the wording slightly in the disclaimer so I never regarded it as a problem as long as the meaning was the same. And someone of them have been doing it since my first try at being a dpl. :D . So I wouldn't pick up on any variations that don't change the meaning.

Anne
VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

deLorinel wrote: October 7th, 2020, 11:50 pm
VocalPenguin wrote: October 7th, 2020, 6:28 am You are certainly welcome to fix it if you so choose, and it would be appreciated. What I meant was simply that it isn't something that needs to be fixed in this file if you would prefer to move on to something else.

Exactly the same file, with the single word cut, but you might want to give it a listen anyway.

Started editing chapter 2, and wouldn't you know it, I did exactly the same thing there, too!
Thanks, it still sounds great. PL OK! :thumbs:
VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

annise wrote: October 8th, 2020, 2:39 am I've come across a number of readers who always say "chapter number 3" and vary the wording slightly in the disclaimer so I never regarded it as a problem as long as the meaning was the same. And some of them have been doing it since my first try at being a dpl. :D . So I wouldn't pick up on any variations that don't change the meaning.

Anne
Duly noted. I'm still getting used to what is and isn't a problem / worth mentioning. :lol: Thanks for clarifying!
drempels

Post by drempels »

Here's Chapter 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/blackerchiefdick_01_allingham_128kb.mp3
It is 17:19.02.

Any comments appreciated!

Thanks,
Cathy
drempels

Post by drempels »

Could I sign up for Chapter 7?

Thanks,
Cathy
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

drempels wrote: October 8th, 2020, 7:17 pm Could I sign up for Chapter 7?

Thanks,
Cathy
You have got it.

Thanks,

M
VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

drempels wrote: October 8th, 2020, 7:07 pm Here's Chapter 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/blackerchiefdick_01_allingham_128kb.mp3
It is 17:19.02.

Any comments appreciated!

Thanks,
Cathy
Chapter 1 is PL OK!

As for comments, I don't have too much to say. It sounds great, both in terms of performance and audio quality. :thumbs:
deLorinel

Post by deLorinel »

Chapter 2 is ready for a listen: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/blackerchiefdick_02_allingham_128kb.mp3

And I can take on the next open chapter. I think that's 5?
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

deLorinel wrote: October 10th, 2020, 1:04 am Chapter 2 is ready for a listen: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/blackerchiefdick_02_allingham_128kb.mp3

I'll put you down for chapter 5.

And, Chapter 2 is ready for PL.

Thanks,

M
VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

deLorinel wrote: October 10th, 2020, 1:04 am Chapter 2 is ready for a listen: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/blackerchiefdick_02_allingham_128kb.mp3

I have one small note from PL:

At 9:51: The line "...and Hal after her." is repeated. Please edit out one of the takes of that line and leave your best one.

Besides that, everything is great as always. I love how you play the dynamic between Hal and Anny! :D