COMPLETE: Writings of Samuel Adams, Vol 2 by Samuel Adams-lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

MFD32 wrote: April 12th, 2021, 5:26 pm Section 30 is ready.

16:17
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_30_adams_128kb.mp3

-mark-
Mark,

Again, PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
MFD32

Post by MFD32 »

I'm reading through Section 75. I'd like to give this one a shot.

-Mark-
Last edited by MFD32 on April 19th, 2021, 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

wib66 wrote: April 17th, 2021, 11:42 am Here are sections 87, 88, 93, 94

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_87_adams_128kb.mp3
19:02

Michele,

All in all a pretty good reading, but there are a few things which I think would help the reading:

1:25 There is about a two second 'pause' here between sentences in the same paragraph. If you could shorten it quite a bit to maybe half a second or a little more, I think it would flow better.

1:48 assuming and exercising a power I heard the. If I am wrong, of course, ignore this suggestion.

2:18 I think that here is a situation where using the words “quote” and “end quote” would be helpful in understanding the meaning as the phrases flow together so smoothly. ."have, and of right ought to have full power and authority to make laws and statutes of sufficient force and validity, to bind the colonies and people of America, subjects of the Crown of Great Britain, in all cases whatever,"

7:41.5 that the King has a constitutional prerogative, You said and

8:58.5 as if they had been abiding and born within the realm I think heard have. I may very well be wrong.

9:48.5 and the same to abrogate, &c. without any reservation for securing their subjection to Parliament, Between the &c. and 'without' there is a long pause that really kind of looses the sense of the sentence. The “.” after the &c is not the end of the sentence, so to keep the meaning, “without” should come immediately after the “&c.” with no pause.

13:24 Here is another gap that could be shortened with good effect to keep the thought of the sentence flowing.

14:18 "America was not annexed to the realm, and it was not fitting that Parliament should make laws for those countries." I think this is another quotation that should be noted so that it shows that what was said was a direct quotation of James I , to pound home the fact he is making, and not merely a summary or paraphrase by Adams.

15:12.5 Here again is a pause which really disrupts the flow of the thought. It just hit me what may be the problem. What I have found in many of these 16th and 17th and even 18th century writings is that they insert both commas and periods where we would not do it. Like after “Charles II.” in this situation. So, when we, as 21st century readers see a period, we stop, pause and then start another sentence with the natural 'inflection' we use when we start a new sentence. In a lot of my readings, I pause at a comma, and then notice that, when I read the rest of the sentence, the pause makes no sense, so I have to go back (at that time, for me) and reread the sentence without the 'comma pause'. Just a thought.

15:32.5 "enacted by the King's most excellent Majesty, by, and with the consent of the General Assembly of Virginia." Another one that would probably benefit from being in “quotes”.

I hope you don't feel that I am getting to persnickity, but I try to do my best.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_88_adams_128kb.mp3
31:17
WOW!! That is such a powerful letter. It sets out all the grievances so logically and clearly. This was my area of emphasis in College (US history 1768-1789), but somehow I never came across this communication. There certainly was more to it than "Taxation without representation".

I found only a very few things to correct in this one:

12:52,5 an instance of which is quoted in the margin. You said substance.

20:31.5 on any pretence whatever, You said or

20:47.5 contemporary with the granting the charter You left out the word the

I can't wait to listen to the next two, but it will probably be Monday before I can get to them.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Thank you Wayne. I have edited and reuploaded sections 87 and 88 hopefully they are okay now :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_87_adams_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_88_adams_128kb.mp3
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
linny

Post by linny »

I completely understand the excitement of joining the LV community and the desire to jump right in. Before recording for a project please submit a one minute test (you may even use one of the sections you linked here. It needs to be posted in the Listeners Wanted forum. You will find instruction on the first page of this project with a link for Newbies.

The test file is to see if you are having any technical issues with your file and they can help you through the process of making corrections. I downloaded the first file and ran it through our Checker program. There are the following alerts; sampling rate, volume, and noise cleaning issues to be resolved. Once you get the OK from Listeners Wanted feel free to 'claim' a section; waiting for approval before you record. This approval ensures multiple people are not recording the same section. Once you get approval, record away! Be certain to carefully read the information on the first post. It will explain exactly what needs to be said at the beginning and end of the recording along with how to name and where to upload the file. There is a process. There is a lot to learn but we all began once and are happy to help you along.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Great work on 87 and 88. Both are now PLOK :thumbs:

A very few things on 93 and 94.

Section 93:
16:55 of his politic is repeated

25:17 over this new acquired territory," You said their

Section 94:
1:14.5 the province Agent, Mr. Dummer, You add the word of between province and Agent

2:59 and those acts were an invasion of their rights, liberties, and properties," You added the word that between the words acts and were

3:50.5 that they might not be oppressed by arbitrary power; You added the word and at the beginning of this phrase. I really believe that it changes the thought.

9:14 they shewed the wrong sense they had in your Excellency's opinion, You said have

20:39.5 And were they men of so little discernment You added the word the between the words they and men.

He was really an amazing thinker and writer. I am loving hearing all this stuff. :9:

Keep up the good work.

Wayne
Wayne
MFD32

Post by MFD32 »

Hey all. Asking again for Sec 75, please. Gonna take a while to get that monster done.

=Mark=
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi I have edited and reuploaded sections 93 and 94

New times

section 93 is 25:33
section 94 is 21:33

Thanks
Michele
linny

Post by linny »

MFD32 wrote: April 20th, 2021, 5:14 pm Hey all. Asking again for Sec 75, please. Gonna take a while to get that monster done.

=Mark=
I'm sorry Mark. I didn't see your original claim. Section 75 updated. Thank you!
linny

Post by linny »

wib66 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 12:08 pm Hi I have edited and reuploaded sections 93 and 94

New times

Thanks
Thank you! You are in for spot check.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

wib66 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 12:08 pm Hi I have edited and reuploaded sections 93 and 94

New times

Thanks
Michele,

Section 93 is PLOK :thumbs:

But I have a question in 94. It has to do with this PL note:

9:14 they shewed the wrong sense they had in your Excellency's opinion, You said have

Did you miss it or am I just mishearing had as have?

Otherwise (and maybe here too) great work.

Wayne
Wayne
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi Wayne for section 94 I am saying had I have double checked. It must just be the way I say it :hmm: :hmm:
Michele