COMPLETE: Writings of Samuel Adams, Vol 2 by Samuel Adams-lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
plesmond

Post by plesmond »

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_12_adams_128kb.mp3

Here is chapter 12. The text for chapter 13 looks to be missing some words (or it was coded by Adams in a way for brevity). Is there anyone familiar with the text who may be able to enlighten me on this: "I have thought of several things that have taken place since the
present a-----n1 began, which must needs have given sensible pleasure
to every friend of this province, and possibly were alluded to in a
late pr-----n."

I thought the second word might be proven, but the context isn't clear. Anyway, thanks.
plesmond

Post by plesmond »

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

plesmond wrote: July 20th, 2021, 7:09 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_12_adams_128kb.mp3

Here is chapter 12. The text for chapter 13 looks to be missing some words (or it was coded by Adams in a way for brevity). Is there anyone familiar with the text who may be able to enlighten me on this: "I have thought of several things that have taken place since the
late pr-----n."

I thought the second word might be proven, but the context isn't clear. Anyway, thanks.
Paul,

Good reading over all. Pleasant voice and good inflection. However, there are a few things we need to look at:

Section 12:

:51.5 refrained from any public mention of it least some Misconstruction You added the word 'at' between it and least.

1:32.5 and a Regard to our own Safety constrain us to Address your Honor, You left out the word own.

2:21 On November 19, 1770, Samuel Adams was appointed a member of a committee to draft a message to the Lieutenant Governor with reference to the vacancies in the militia. On the following day Adams reported to the House a draft, which was accepted. This portion is a footnote, and in this project, we are not reading the footnotes at all.

And also, at the end of a chapter/section, all you have to say is “End of Section X” Please do not repeat the name of the book and or section.
Also, if you have ID'd yourself at the beginning of the section no need to do it at the end as well.
Also please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Section 14:

:25.5 Remember to read all of the intro as it is written in the first post below the MW. You left you “By Samuel Adams” I have read hundreds of sections, and I always go to the first post and read it right off of the computer to make sure I get everything I should. After listening to Section 10 again,, it was done perfectly there.

1:10.5 The two last of which I forwarded as soon as possible You left out the word two

1:14 to such Gentn in the repsective places You said the

3:21 to our first grand object. You left out first.

Same comments as above about name reference and the five seconds needed at the end.

Now to your question about Section 13. As you have already noted, I am sure, the numbers that appear in the text are references to the footnotes at the bottom of the page. In Section 13, the first two (the ones you noted) are both footnoted and we are told that they are:1Administration. 2Proclamation. The one that is later is "H——r the Lt. G——-r" "Honor the Lt. Governor". The other two that are in parentheses, I have not clue, so since the are in parentheses, just leave them out. :)

I hope this helps, and I am looking forward to the corrections as well as 13.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Kalamareader wrote: July 13th, 2021, 1:04 pm
HannahMary wrote: July 13th, 2021, 10:08 am I would like to read section 73: TO ELBRIDGE GERRY, Nov 5, 1772

Are we pronouncing "Gerry" with a hard G (goat) or soft G (ginger)? I have heard it both ways for this man in other audiobooks.
You bring up an absolutely fascinating question. Just watch this video to the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp0Qz19nlG4

So, as the arbiter of all things "Samuel Adams" :roll: , since we are referring to the person and not to the word that came after him, it should be with the 'hard' "G".

Wayne

Oh, and by the way, you certainly can read Section 73
Thanks for the interesting history/pronunciation lesson! No wonder I have heard this name pronounced both ways even in professional audiobooks.

Here is section 73 ready for PL at 5:36 in duration.

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_73_adams_128kb.mp3
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
Readers needed for:
A Rough Shaking by George MacDonald
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

HannahMary wrote: July 21st, 2021, 9:48 am
Kalamareader wrote: July 13th, 2021, 1:04 pm
HannahMary wrote: July 13th, 2021, 10:08 am I would like to read section 73: TO ELBRIDGE GERRY, Nov 5, 1772

Are we pronouncing "Gerry" with a hard G (goat) or soft G (ginger)? I have heard it both ways for this man in other audiobooks.
You bring up an absolutely fascinating question. Just watch this video to the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp0Qz19nlG4

So, as the arbiter of all things "Samuel Adams" :roll: , since we are referring to the person and not to the word that came after him, it should be with the 'hard' "G".

Wayne

Oh, and by the way, you certainly can read Section 73
Thanks for the interesting history/pronunciation lesson! No wonder I have heard this name pronounced both ways even in professional audiobooks.

Here is section 73 ready for PL at 5:36 in duration.

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_73_adams_128kb.mp3
HannahMary,

Great, great reading. Absolute flawless.

However, there is one thing I need to tell you about. Long ago, at a pay grade way above mine, it was decided that footnotes were to be completely left out in this project. You did such a good job reading it, but we have to delete it. It ran from 3:57 to 5:00. Just do that and resubmit, and all will be well.

Wayne
Wayne
plesmond

Post by plesmond »

Thank you so much for the feeback. I think this gives me really good guidance because the .txt version has gaps. I was able to reformat it and print it, which will make edits/rerecords much easier. Thank you for your patience.

Paul
Kalamareader wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:59 pm
plesmond wrote: July 20th, 2021, 7:09 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_12_adams_128kb.mp3

late pr-----n."

Paul,

Good reading over all. Pleasant voice and good inflection. However, there are a few things we need to look at:

Section 12:

:51.5 refrained from any public mention of it least some Misconstruction You added the word 'at' between it and least.

1:32.5 and a Regard to our own Safety constrain us to Address your Honor, You left out the word own.

2:21 On November 19, 1770, Samuel Adams was appointed a member of a committee to draft a message to the Lieutenant Governor with reference to the vacancies in the militia. On the following day Adams reported to the House a draft, which was accepted. This portion is a footnote, and in this project, we are not reading the footnotes at all.

And also, at the end of a chapter/section, all you have to say is “End of Section X” Please do not repeat the name of the book and or section.
Also, if you have ID'd yourself at the beginning of the section no need to do it at the end as well.
Also please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Section 14:

:25.5 Remember to read all of the intro as it is written in the first post below the MW. You left you “By Samuel Adams” I have read hundreds of sections, and I always go to the first post and read it right off of the computer to make sure I get everything I should. After listening to Section 10 again,, it was done perfectly there.

1:10.5 The two last of which I forwarded as soon as possible You left out the word two

1:14 to such Gentn in the repsective places You said the

3:21 to our first grand object. You left out first.

Same comments as above about name reference and the five seconds needed at the end.

Now to your question about Section 13. As you have already noted, I am sure, the numbers that appear in the text are references to the footnotes at the bottom of the page. In Section 13, the first two (the ones you noted) are both footnoted and we are told that they are:1Administration. 2Proclamation. The one that is later is "H——r the Lt. G——-r" "Honor the Lt. Governor". The other two that are in parentheses, I have not clue, so since the are in parentheses, just leave them out. :)

I hope this helps, and I am looking forward to the corrections as well as 13.

Wayne
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Kalamareader wrote: July 21st, 2021, 7:17 pm HannahMary,

Great, great reading. Absolute flawless.

However, there is one thing I need to tell you about. Long ago, at a pay grade way above mine, it was decided that footnotes were to be completely left out in this project. You did such a good job reading it, but we have to delete it. It ran from 3:57 to 5:00. Just do that and resubmit, and all will be well.

Wayne
And I had *almost* asked in advance whether you wanted footnotes or not! Will do...
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Readers needed for:
DaveLanzafame

Post by DaveLanzafame »

Hi, this is my very first recording with Librivox and I'd like to claim number 45, please. I'd like to be put down as Dave Lanzafame and have a link to my VO website, at www.davelanzvo.com.

Please let me know if you need anything else from me. Thank you!
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Section 73 is ready for Spot PL. New time 4:32.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

HannahMary wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:55 pm Section 73 is ready for Spot PL. New time 4:32.
Good Job. Section 73 is now PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

DaveLanzafame wrote: July 27th, 2021, 6:19 am Hi, this is my very first recording with Librivox and I'd like to claim number 45, please. I'd like to be put down as Dave Lanzafame and have a link to my VO website, at www.davelanzvo.com.

Please let me know if you need anything else from me. Thank you!
Dave,

We are looking forward to hearing your contributions, but Section 45 has already been spoken for pending an OK on the 1 MinuteTest (July 13, pg. 16). There are many others you can claim, so search and claim another.

Sorry,

Wayne
Wayne
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hi Wayne, I'd like to help out here, so I'll start by claiming the five OPEN sections from the bottom:

81 Article Signed "Candidus"- Dec 14, 1772
82 To Elbridge Gerry- Dec 23, 1772
83 To Darius Sessions- Dec 28, 1772
86 To Darius Sessions- Jan 2, 1773
90 To Darius Sessions- Feb 1773

no footnotes need to be included, correct ?

Sonia
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Kitty wrote: August 9th, 2021, 1:58 am hi Wayne, I'd like to help out here, so I'll start by claiming the five OPEN sections from the bottom:

81 Article Signed "Candidus"- Dec 14, 1772
82 To Elbridge Gerry- Dec 23, 1772
83 To Darius Sessions- Dec 28, 1772
86 To Darius Sessions- Jan 2, 1773
90 To Darius Sessions- Feb 1773

no footnotes need to be included, correct ?

Sonia
Thank you Sonia, and yes that is correct about the footnotes. :D

Wayne
Wayne
BeauWood

Post by BeauWood »

Linny and Wayne,

Per Wayne’s request I have re-recorded sections 71 and 79 (both previous PLOK) which included the name Elbridge Gerry.

In these re-recordings I have used the now agreed upon pronunciation of Mr. Gerry’s last name.

Here are the re-recorded links. They will need to be PL’d again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_71_adams_128kb.mp3
Track Length 3:42.56 (m:ss.ss)
Volume 91.2 dB

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_79_adams_128kb.mp3
Track Length 1:17.84 (m:ss.ss)
Volume 91.1 dB

Respectfully,

Beau Wood
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalamareader wrote: August 9th, 2021, 7:03 pm yes that is correct about the footnotes. :D
thanks for clarification, so here is the first of my batch, it's interesting that they had to deal with newspaper "fake news" already back in the day. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/samueladamsv2_81_adams_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 8:10 min.

About Elbridge Gerry, who also shows up in my letters, what is the concensus there now ? Should it sound like Gary or like Jerry ?

Sonia